PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 02:02
Was everybody in here up by 4 this morning to go shopping at all the retailers that opened at 4:30 to 5:00 for early bird savings. My sister did. She got up at 3:30am to do this and she does it every year like clock work. She said it is the only true way to get into the Christmas spirit. I busted out laughing. She asked Linda if she wanted to go and I said Linda don't know what it looks like at that time of the morning. They need to move the time to at least 9.

Rami
November 28th, 2008, 03:19
My wife is doing that too. I'm going to be making some purchases from my home today, staying well off the roads. :d

stiz
November 28th, 2008, 03:29
why on earth would ya do that :isadizzy: just wait till christmas eve and get all the stuff you need when your filling up with petrol on the way home :d

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 04:14
I was watching the news this morning and was looking at all the tents and lines in front of BB,Target,ect..ect... didn't see any of our members:costumes: it really blows my mind to see customer in a tent waiting for a store to open:isadizzy: I can understand if ya had to do this for the next release of FS, but gee wiz...thats important ....right :d

FlyTexas
November 28th, 2008, 04:46
Missed it this year. A few years ago I did the Black Friday thing...it was for a digital camera at Wal-Mart. That was as close as I'll probably ever get to experiencing the 'Running of The Bulls' in Pamplona, Spain. :costumes:

Brian

jmig
November 28th, 2008, 04:58
Can you believe just how foolish women can be, getting up that early? God forbid.

You would think they are going fishing, hunting or have an early tee time.

:d

Rami
November 28th, 2008, 04:58
'Running of The Bulls'

Same difference...it's just the 'Running of the Bull-headed.' :costumes:

FlyTexas
November 28th, 2008, 05:10
Same difference...it's just the 'Running of the Bull-headed." :costumes:

:costumes: I'm telling ya, those people are insane! There were people next to me whooping and hollering as Wal-Mart's doors were flung open. You'd think we were participating in a bayonet charge or something. :costumes:

Brian

jmig
November 28th, 2008, 05:29
:costumes: I'm telling ya, those people are insane! There were people next to me whooping and hollering as Wal-Mart's doors were flung open. You'd think we were participating in a bayonet charge or something. :costumes:

Brian

Urrrrr Brian, what were YOU doing at Wal-mart at that ungodly hour? :icon_lol:

Cloud9Gal
November 28th, 2008, 05:52
Can you believe just how foolish women can be, getting up that early? God forbid.

You would think they are going fishing, hunting or have an early tee time.

:d

"This woman" stayed home this morning...yep, stayed as snug as a bug in my warm bed. I still got up at 6 AM tho :wiggle:

FlyTexas
November 28th, 2008, 06:25
Urrrrr Brian, what were YOU doing at Wal-mart at that ungodly hour? :icon_lol:

Purchasing this digital camera. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :d

Brian

Rami
November 28th, 2008, 09:13
Now it's just not funny anymore:

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/wal-mart-worker-trampled-to-death/262342

Is a plasma TV really that important? :angryfir:

FlyTexas
November 28th, 2008, 10:29
Sad to say this does not surprise me. :frown: If anyone ever goes to one of these human stampedes try to avoid using the main store entrance. The time I picked up the digital camera at Wal-Mart (the only time I've ever participated in Black Friday) I used one of the smaller entrances off to the side of the main entrance...it had a *much* smaller crowd in front of its doors.

Brian

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 11:16
Sad to say this does not surprise me. :frown: If anyone ever goes to one of these human stampedes try to avoid using the main store entrance. The time I picked up the digital camera at Wal-Mart (the only time I've ever participated in Black Friday) I used one of the smaller entrances off to the side of the main entrance...it had a *much* smaller crowd in front of its doors.

Brian

I went to a Walmart on Black Friday once. It was about 4AM. I couldnt believe it, lolol... Crowds! Mobs! lol.. I would have never believed it. There was a line from electronics into the groceries department, from one side to the other, (super walmart store).

Crazy... I'll bet they sold out of laptops in the first 15 or 30 min's.

Willy
November 28th, 2008, 12:16
I've never done the Black Friday thing and Mrs Willy hasn't since we've been together. Her mom and niece are out today in Jackson doing it though. They'll probably be home about dark.

I did get her a new camera though a week or so ago.

Panther_99FS
November 28th, 2008, 12:31
NICE camera! :mixedsmi:

Hiede
November 28th, 2008, 13:02
"This woman" stayed home this morning...yep, stayed as snug as a bug in my warm bed. I still got up at 6 AM tho :wiggle:

I'm with you on this Cloud9Gal,slept to 8 AM.The other thing is I usually go to Oahu to shop,better variety of stores.:costumes:

Hiede

TARPSBird
November 28th, 2008, 13:38
Apparently the early-bird shoppers at this Wal-Mart in NY had so much Christmas spirit they trampled a store worker to death when the doors opened.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,458744,00.html

Ickie
November 28th, 2008, 13:43
for many years I wanted an auto darkening welding shield, well today I got the delux one for $52.99 @ 50% off:friday:

Rami
November 28th, 2008, 13:45
Apparently the early-bird shoppers at this Wal-Mart in NY had so much Christmas spirit they trampled a store worker to death when the doors opened.

Yeup...I linked this story above as well. This really makes me upset. It is complete and utter :bs:.

And by the way...how's this for sick?

"Within hours of the trampling death of a Wal-Mart employee, Valley Stream, N.Y., customers had lined up behind crime scene tape, waiting for the retailer to reopen."

I guess moral and ethical standards go by the wayside as long as we get our gadgets. :a1451:

brad kaste
November 28th, 2008, 13:50

TARPSBird,.....how tragic amd sad. Too bad schools don't teach 'civics' anymore in class. One can only imagine the bedlam there'd be if the Cabbage Patch Kids or Color me Elmo were brought back.

MCDesigns
November 28th, 2008, 13:58
I would sooo press charges against the mob that trampled that guy, just to get the point across to them.

My Mom and sister do this every year and they sill spend to much money, so what is the point. I am all for a great deal, but damn................

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 15:01
Every place I went to today I was the only one in line. There was no waiting, no price checks, all prices were clearly shown, didn't even have to look for a parking place. I just hit click and ship on my pooter.:costumes: dats my kind of shoppin:jump:.

smoores
November 28th, 2008, 15:48
I had a friend camp for 2 days in front of Best Buy to buy some cheap stuff. In case you are wondering, his nickname is durr.

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2008, 22:32
2 men dead in a shoot out at a California Toys 'R' Us. Possibly just "gang related", but....

What has this world become? :isadizzy: :kilroy:

Pauke! Pauke!
November 29th, 2008, 10:00
The irony is that most occurrences of a mob trampling usual happen in panic situations like a fire or in a famine area when food relief distribution has been sporadic and people are truly desperate and on the verge of starvation, then suddenly food arrives. What was the source of desperation at the New York Wal-Mart? Could it have been that the people were so blind set on getting a "good deal" before the other guy did that they lost self control, something like road rage. Witnesses to the occurrence described the mob as "savages". Perhaps that was too generous a term.

WND
November 30th, 2008, 03:44
Apparently I'm lucky!! About a week ago my wife informed me that we were NOT going out on the Friday after Thanksgiving!!!

ALong with that incident in New York, another one occurred about 15 miles away from that one where a lady apparently got injured - BUT she finished her shopping before filing the report!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :isadizzy:

hey_moe
November 30th, 2008, 03:57
Linda and I went to Toys r Us, BB, CC,Sears, JC Penny,Macy's and a few dress shops, there were all slammed busy which made me feel good. I was glad to see people were out spending. I noticed at all the Guitar Hero display there were all packed.Looks like the large flat screen hd TV were the big ticket buys this year. BB was a mad house.

cheezyflier
November 30th, 2008, 05:16
after seeing the news of killing and death in the stores i am disgusted by what christmas has become. i won't participate. in my house we will celebrate christmas in the spirit of it's original intent.

Quicksand
November 30th, 2008, 06:41
Cheezyflier, you said it better than I ever could. The same goes for my house......

Cratermaker
November 30th, 2008, 06:47
I agree cheezyflier.

To the subject of what went wrong (besides people being idiots), I read that all advertisers have to do is ad "limit 20" or such to an ad and all of a sudden it trips a circuit in peoples mind that they don't want to miss out on the exclusiveness of the situation and they go to great lengths to get something they might not have even considered seriously before. Sad. :banghead:

BPbobafett1982
November 30th, 2008, 17:41
Well, I had to work Black Friday morning. Had to arrive at the Mall of America around 4:30 AM to open the LEGO store by 6:00 AM. We had about 30+ people already camping out in front of the store as I was arriving. After the initial rush all was quite until around 8:30 to 9:00 AM, then the crowds started to show up.

Luckily nothing tragic happened at the mall, But I did hear that some guy proposed to his girlfriend after she bought him a new HD big screen at the Best buy there with the News crews watching.