PDA

View Full Version : BD-5 Paint Kit

falcon409
December 18th, 2010, 08:52
I posted this question inside another thread and as usual, it's gotten lost in the process, so I'm asking in a new thread. I know someone here has the answer, we have too many talented "skinners" for this to go unanswered.

The BD-5 PK is in "PSD" format (Photoshop). I work in Paint Shop Pro (PSP format). Two of the layered textures open fine with all layers visible, the one texture I need (fuselage, wings, rudder, etc) does not. I get the obligatory error message that the file contains unsupported formatting and then opens as a single layer. Isn't there a way for this to be forced to open with all layers? My other option is to have someone save it for me in PSP8 format so I can use it to do some Thunderbird and Blue Angel paints.

Thanks!:salute:

paulb
December 18th, 2010, 09:09
I have psp8 so, let me know if you want help.

Desert Rat
December 18th, 2010, 11:34
sorry, only have photoshop, can't help, but would love to see your paints of Blue angels and Thunderbirds. Also would like to see Red Arrows, the French team (forget the name :redface:) and any other display team. In fact I think many BAe Hawk schemes would fit this thing like a glove, the 2010 display livery would be cool, or even a USN Goshawk (we could fit a 'virtual' hook and do traps :d)

Jamie

falcon409
December 18th, 2010, 22:06
:bump::bump:, anyone?

Dag
December 18th, 2010, 22:20
It's always nice, when the master psd files are made, to save them in the maximum compatibility mode from within photoshop. That way all the layers that have ps specific merge properties are set to normal and when opened in another program able to read psd-files, they can be set in that specific program to give similar effects as originally intended.
I 'll investigate a bit Ed :salute:

Thanks

Desert Rat
December 19th, 2010, 01:12
Tried opening your fuselage psd in my photoshop 7, get similar errors to yourself, must be in a newer format.

Matt Wynn
December 19th, 2010, 04:22
i'll re-install PSP just for this and copy the layers over 1 by 1 from PS into PSP for you falcon :ernae:

Matt Wynn
December 19th, 2010, 05:33
ok done... for now. i've gotta get back to A-10 work now :icon_lol:

peter12213
December 19th, 2010, 07:19
Matt that file seems to be corrupted mate!

Matt Wynn
December 19th, 2010, 07:36
it opens fine on my PC in Paintshop Pro buddy... was done for PSP and not photoshop... Falcon will probably verify... or someone with PSP will :icon_lol:

mikew
December 19th, 2010, 07:55
I've run into this issue several times. I have GIMP installed as well as PSP. I open the psd files in GIMP first and save. The psd files then open in PSP without issue.

Mike

falcon409
December 19th, 2010, 08:49
Matt that file seems to be corrupted mate!
Yea same here, sorry Matt, it appears that the zipfile is corrupt. I downloaded GIMP to see if I can run it through that, then open in PSP8.:salute:

Matt Wynn
December 19th, 2010, 09:02
hmm ok, will see what i can do if that gimp>PSP8 method don't work for you

falcon409
December 19th, 2010, 09:49
hmm ok, will see what i can do if that gimp>PSP8 method don't work for you
Got it open and then saved with GIMP and loaded into PSP8 with all layers. . .woohoo. . .NOW, is it really necessary to have 80 layers for an airplane the size of a Volkswagen? Dang, whatever happened to simple layered paint kits, LMAO.

This will take a bit to figure out what I need and what I don't need and if I really want to pursue this after all. In the mean time, thanks to everyone who rendered assistance, much appreciated.:salute:

AckAck
December 20th, 2010, 07:05
My guess (and I don't have it, so it is a complete and total guess) is that the original PSD file was saved with layer groups. That way, you can have layers upon layers of rivets, panel lines, shadows, highlights, dirt, smudges, oil drips, etc, all independent of one another, and you can kill them all at once by hiding the layer group. That way you can have a complicated 80 layer paintkit, wipe off the oil and grime without killing the panel lines and rivets, and lighten the dirt without affecting everything else.

But, PSP doesn't like layer groups, and won't open the file.

GIMP doesn't like them either, but it just ungroups them and opens the file. When you save it in GIMP, it just saves 80 separate layers, and then PSP will open it just fine.

So that is my uninformed answer as to why PSP dosn't open it, and also why we have 80-layer paintkits now. I personally would much rather have an 80-layer paintkit than a 1-layer paintkit of a white plane...

Brian