PDA

View Full Version : Looking for source files from Michael Davies

OBIO
December 17th, 2010, 20:36
A couple years ago, Michael Davies released a nice selection of his source files from the old Alphasim aircraft. I downloaded them all...but lost them in a HD crash before I could archive them to CD or DVD. I was able to obtain the source files for the F-4E and F-4N...and I thought the F-8 as well but can't find it anywhere on my HDs or on my archive discs.

Would anyone here happen to have those source files on hand and be willing to send me copies of them. I would really love to learn to use FSDS and update those older planes somewhat...at least enough to give them specular shine, maybe a bit more detail in the VC. Not an easy task given my current state of expertise with FSDS and modeling...I open the program and stare at it really hard but nothing ever happens other than I start seeing spots and my wife starts nagging at me and telling me that I need to go get glasses because I am squinting at the computer screen. I tell her that I am not squinting, I am GLARING in an effort to make FSDS do something...at which point she calls me an idiot and throws something at me...usually something large, hard and covered with sharp pointy edges.

OBIO

Seagull V
December 17th, 2010, 21:16
Names of available models in the Source File Catalog 2009 - available at the Fox4 site:-

http://www.simviation.com/lair/files/SourceFileCatalog.pdf

OBIO
December 18th, 2010, 00:48
Thanks Seagull. Just sent Tango an e-mail asking for copies of the files by Michael Davies/Alphasim.

OBIO

Collin
December 18th, 2010, 02:52
Thanks Seagull. Just sent Tango an e-mail asking for copies of the files by Michael Davies/Alphasim.

OBIO

It still won't make fsds work, you have to tell it what to do, and specular stuff is done within the material colour editor.

DUCK!....another sharp pointythingamy is coming at ya.

regards Collin

full
December 18th, 2010, 04:01
Ohhhh.... there's some nice planes in their that I'd love to update :)

OBIO
December 18th, 2010, 11:54
It still won't make fsds work, you have to tell it what to do, and specular stuff is done within the material colour editor.

DUCK!....another sharp pointythingamy is coming at ya.

regards Collin

Collin

I have been telling FSDS what to do..and, like my wife, it still refuses to do it. I have told it time and time again to name the parts, animate them, speculate the material, and export. No matter how loudly I say it, the program just sits there staring at me like I'm an idiot.

Tim

Desert Rat
December 18th, 2010, 12:09
Tim,

if you ever need any help, just holler. Materials can be edited in FSDS BTW in every way that mdlmat can. Setting reflection is even easier than our olé trick ;)

Jamie

PS. Tim, I have them all, if you let me know what you need, etc.

Collin
December 18th, 2010, 14:37
Collin

I have been telling FSDS what to do..and, like my wife, it still refuses to do it. I have told it time and time again to name the parts, animate them, speculate the material, and export. No matter how loudly I say it, the program just sits there staring at me like I'm an idiot.

Tim

OK Tim, do you have a modern computer? Y'kno one of dem funny box thingys that has a KEYBOARD and a bald plastic item called a mouse, with a magic picture box called a MONITOR?

Or is it like mine...

A Mk 4 Babbage differential calculator made from Meccano and several Landrover gearboxes with an 80 mouse power supply wheel and a Watt Special Boiler operating a 625 lines pixie screen?:jump:

Whatever...ya gorra move the mouse so that the liddle arrow thingy moves on the screen to FILE or the open folder icon and pick out what model you wanna destroy alter.
When this model is on your screen, find the part you want to change the colour or put shine on, press F2 and check the material colour. Now go into material texture editor with this colour and you will see down the bottom 'Specular power' alter this to a plus number and save this colour texture under a new name (otherwise any other parts using this texture will also have the shine). You will need to experiment until you get the correct amount required and get your health back from your wifes improving aim.

regards Collin:ernae: