PDA

View Full Version : GAUGE QUESTION

Fibber
December 16th, 2010, 07:37
I know a lot of people put in a lot of their own time to draw up panels, but I have a question about this. A lot of the instruments seem to be the same with identifying prefixes before them. (ie; MK_,JMB,etc, just recalling them and no slight at all meant). Here is the question, is there a way to view the different gauges before they are in a panel? Say a central repository of them before affixation of prefixes, a way to compare the different gauges for simularity? I have seen a crawler for some program for gauges but I am not in the position of spending money for something I will not use other than once or twice or just as a occassional reference. Just curious.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND , HOPEFULLY, A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump::icon_lol::wavey:.

Ali Cat
December 17th, 2010, 06:44
I’m at work so I’ll take a quick shot at this. As for a really, really easy way I’m not seeing it. I actually fiddled with some DOS commands (yea – that makes me feel old) and got close but as of yet no cigar. My instinct is that it may be doable with a batch file (using a redirected DIR and a FIND of the panel.cfg’s?) but I am not sure. Perhaps someone here, with a better memory than mine, will take a crack at it for you.

And on those gauge names their “home” is inside your *.gau file’s in the GAUGES directory. These files are just Dll’s with the extension renamed and, you guessed it, compiled executable binary files. I won’t go into techy stuff here, like why dumpbin.exe won’t help unless you ask.

Note that a gauge name list/sort app, from the panel.cfg’s that is, would be very easy to write should anyone be looking for that first venture into coding. VB 5.0 or 6.0 or any flavor of .NET would be good choices here though there are others one might prefer. As for sorting the list without the prefix’s (if that is what you meant) this too could be done with little grief but would almost certainly require some user input.

Sam aka: “Ali Cat”