PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Jittery Jerks

Dave Torkington
December 14th, 2010, 07:33
Hi folks,

One of the main bug bears of FSX for me is seeing other aircraft in M/player jumping about when logged on to a FSHost session. Ok, it's not too much of a pain unless we're doing formation stuff, but it's a major step back from how stable FS9 displayed other players.

Reading through the Chocolate Software Forum, it's pretty clear that the problem lies with the way FSX handles displaying of players rather than FSHost itself.

Other than a hosted session, does anyone know of another method of setting up a multiplayer session minus jerks!

Tako_Kichi
December 14th, 2010, 09:31
The warping is an issue with FSHost and the only way I've ever found of getting good warp free connections is to do it direct in peer-to-peer fashion where the person with the fastest computer acts as the host and others join his MP session.

I used to fly a lot with a buddy from the UK in this manner and even though we were 3,500 miles apart we could fly in very close formation (literally within just a few feet of each other) with no warping at all.

mal998
December 14th, 2010, 10:20
As far as my recollections go, FSHost has always had problems with the jitters. we have been flying multi for some years now and have tried all the methods i.e. Gamespy, netwings old server, IBNET, direct connect. But FSHOST was never the best one of the bunch and we never were able to solve the problem of jitters when close to another aircraft.

These days the smoothest connection we are able to obtain is through direct IP connection to one of our players computers. In a pinch we also use Gamespy which, when working, is surprising good.

Bone
December 14th, 2010, 10:24
Where do you have your fps set? If it's greater than 30, that could be your problem. I have mine locked at 30 and it's stable, whereas others say they get stability at 29.

UKMIL
December 14th, 2010, 10:47
any server running a FSD server [fsinn] is usually stable in close formation:salute:

Dave Torkington
December 14th, 2010, 13:15
I'm really grateful for the replies folks - all very helpful.

Where do you have your fps set? If it's greater than 30, that could be your problem. I have mine locked at 30 and it's stable, whereas others say they get stability at 29.

Thanks Bone, I use the external FPS limiter set at 30FPS, but I'm pretty sure everyone else on our M/P session runs FSX at unlimited FPS because it gives the best performance. Anyhow, I'll test this out on our FSHost server and report back.

any server running a FSD server [fsinn] is usually stable in close formation:salute:

Hi UKMIL, I know we've used FSInn a long while ago, but I'm not familiar with a 'FSD Server'... I'll have to do some homework on this one.

We currently pay for our server, so any solution that means parting with a few shekels and one that will get a small group of us [no more than ten jittering at once :wiggle:] running in a stable fashion would be no problem.

Thanks again,

Dave :salute:

Dangerousdave26
December 14th, 2010, 15:47
I'm really grateful for the replies folks - all very helpful.

Thanks Bone, I use the external FPS limiter set at 30FPS, but I'm pretty sure everyone else on our M/P session runs FSX at unlimited FPS because it gives the best performance. Anyhow, I'll test this out on our FSHost server and report back.

Hi UKMIL, I know we've used FSInn a long while ago, but I'm not familiar with a 'FSD Server'... I'll have to do some homework on this one.

We currently pay for our server, so any solution that means parting with a few shekels and one that will get a small group of us [no more than ten jittering at once :wiggle:] running in a stable fashion would be no problem.

Thanks again,

Dave :salute:

Bones information about frame rates only applies to FS9.

The multiplayer function in FS8 (FS2002) sent posistion data to the multiplayer session 4 times per second.

In FS9 they wonked out the code for Multiplayer and for some reason tied the exchange of multiplayer data to the frame rates or clock cycles. This means that at 30 per second you are sending data that often. No game needs position data that often to function in multiplayer certainly not FS9.

In FSX they fixed the problem and went back to exchanging data 4 times per second.

The issue with FS Host is the Sim Connect module. Sim Connect uses TCP/IP to exchange data between other programs. So the Sim Connect module is actually a network protocol. The issue is it gets backed up and slows up sending data then it will speed up again. This makes the exchange of information between the client and host jittery. There is no way to fix it.

Remember Dave SOH runs our own FS Host server on our other server known as SOH FC. If your group would like to use it they can feel free to. There is no need to rent servers. If you would like a special session/port just ask.

We also have the TeamSpeak 3 server for the communication needs of our members.

See the forums at http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?11-FSHost-Sessions

FSD I am not familiar with but I will look at it after the Around the World Race in Feb. A stabler connection has been something we desire.

Dave Torkington
December 15th, 2010, 06:44
Thanks for the technical info. dangerousdave26,

I understood up to the part about position data, then needed a lie down for the grey matter to recover... I'm really not up to speed re. servers, so I appreciate the explanation.

I'd no idea that the SOH FC would be available to us, thanks very much for the offer. We currently share the costs of a server [UK Game] so I'll have a group chat and get back to you if I may?

Ultimately, we want to eliminate the jerks in M/P FSX as simply as possible and for as low a cost [or even no cost] as we can.

Cheers folks :salute:

Lotus
December 15th, 2010, 07:05
Ultimately, we want to eliminate the jerks in M/P FSX as simply as possible and for as low a cost [or even no cost] as we can.

Hi Dave. You have a simple and zero cost solution right within FSX itself actually. If you're after smoothness for formation flying you can just use FSX's built in direct connect via LAN mode.

Get whoever is hosting to start a session in LAN mode (not gamespy). It will still be visible on the net. Then have them tell the rest of your group their IP address. Everyone else goes into LAN mode as well and clicks "connect directly". Enter the IP and Bob's your uncle. :)

I do this all the time with my sessions and they work beautifully. Having a powerful host computer is not necessary. I run my sessions on a very old and cranky 1.8 ghz laptop and then connect to them with my main computer. I just set all of FSX's graphics details on the laptop to minimum and run the sim minimized to the taskbar. At that point the only processor power it's using is just that which is required to send data back and forth between the server and clients, which is basically no processing at all. Another side benefit is that the host machine can run clear weather with no updates, leaving all the clients free to use Activesky or another weather program without issue after connecting. It's a simple and stutter free solution for everyone involved and with no gamespy baggage to deal with. I also disable FSX's internal voice function on the server and we use Teamspeak 3.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Dave Torkington
December 15th, 2010, 08:37
Hi Dave. You have a simple and zero cost solution right within FSX itself actually. If you're after smoothness for formation flying you can just use FSX's built in direct connect via LAN mode.

Hello Mike,

Great reply thank you, and I've hosted LAN sessions on the same PC as I run FSX with excellent results. The reasons we didn't take up this option were -

[1] We preferred that the session was running 24/7, so that any of us could use it at any time, rather than relying on a single machine / person to set it up.

[2] It can put some pressure on the individual to provide the 'service' if that's the word. I do have a second PC here that would run and host FSX fine, but again I wouldn't want to set particular times for M/P flying as we all have different circumstances and availability.

Despite these reservations, it's certainly one to put to the group of simmers I fly with Mike - I like the point you mention about weather options too... I prefer to use FS Meteo here, but I know others prefer Activesky.

Thanks again :salute: