PDA

View Full Version : Dehavilland Sea Vixen.............Coal Hole

Tboomer57
December 14th, 2010, 07:20
I was at the news stand again............seem I go there for inspiration

The AirFix magazine this quarter has a fantastic cover art for the Dehavilland Sea Vixen.

Well..........I was not familiar with the "Coal Hole" untill I saw the helmet in this graphic.

It looks like a old side car racer......with the weapons officer or "Radar Observer" in the side car.

Tboomer57
December 14th, 2010, 07:25
AlphaSim has a great freeware version of the Sea Vixen FAW2.

I did a quick color change and took it for a spin..................FoxFour Carrier traps.

Seems the "Coal Hole" was a vomit comet. Due to the Lack of visual reference.

Still A Weapons Systems officer ............is a interesting position.

Most of you have been through the Sea Vixen Stage......and this is nothing new.........but I had to give it a go.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXHEINfO4pg

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzRtOuj5GQ

Tboomer57
December 14th, 2010, 07:48
......."In the Sea Vixen, the radar observer's hatch was flat with a tiny window in it. To leave the aircraft in an emergency, the hatch had to be jettisoned, and could not be ejected through. Around the same time improved ejector seats were fitted, the hatch cover was redesigned with a much larger perspex area and made frangible so the observer could eject through the hatch. These frangible hatches are bulged, and appear on most FAW.2s. Unfortunately if your seat failed to fire, this meant you had to try and escape through the clear part of the hatch, which was a very tight fit.
The observer had the tricky job of steering the radar and using his twin radar screens to figure out where the target was and direct the pilot to follow a course leading to interception. The radar's 'look down' performance was non-existent, so the aircraft had to be flying lower than the intended target - tricky if the target was coming in at low level, hugging the deck! The type's secondary task of ground attack swapped the crew's roles somewhat, with the pilot now handling much of the work and the observer reduced to calling out speed and altitude - particularly in dive attacks, when the pilot's attention was on the gunsight. The pilot's right thigh was within reach of the observer, and a jab with a suitably pointy object was a useful backup to ensure a dive was pulled out of in time"........

Tboomer57
December 14th, 2010, 14:25
Ya........most have been thru the ...."Bullpup" discussion

but I had to try one out...............

Shown here is the AGM-12c by Kotaro Akikawa

Tboomer57
December 14th, 2010, 19:41
the reverse shot of the AGM-12 Launch.........

Relax it's only a simulation............