PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Earhart back in the news

Willy
December 11th, 2010, 22:51
They've got a bone fragment they think could be hers..

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/tiny-bone-could-unlock-mystery-of-amelia-earhart/19756074?test=latestnews

Curtis P40
December 12th, 2010, 04:48
It would be nice to see this "mystery" come to an end. Even tho alot of folks didn't think she was much of a pilot, she will always be a Hero to me. Some of those early aircraft could be handful to fly, for anybody.
Curt

jmig
December 12th, 2010, 04:50
It would be nice to see this "mystery" come to an end. Even tho alot of folks didn't think she was much of a pilot, she will always be a Hero to me. Some of those early aircraft could be handful to fly, for anybody.
Curt

I agree. I suspect some of the comments on her flying had to do with jealousy and the general opinion of women who did things on their own back then. There weren't too many pilots at that time who hadn't dinged an aircraft or two. The lucky ones walked away to fly again.

Mick
December 12th, 2010, 05:29
Well, she apparently wasn't a great pilot, but she must've been a pretty good one to do the things she did. I was a real-world pilot for a while, and I wouldn't have even considered doing most of the things she's known for, and those things were harder to do in the planes of her day than they'd be today. Her accomplishments certainly overshadowed her faults.

Ickie
December 12th, 2010, 05:37
I watched the 2 hour program last night, and once again the guy that has been on this for over 20 years failed to prove she was there, it was a very good program thou. The bone in question failed to produce any DNA. Near the end of the program they did mention that there was once a coast guard station there near the place which they were searching on the SE corner of the small Island.
There was a glimmer of hope thou, a old person who use to live on the island remembers a plane wreckage on the NW corner. But the navy searched this area 1 week after she became missing and took photo's and the wreckage was not in the photo's, but on 1 old photo unknown when it was taken, was a small object seems to be out of the water, and on the program they used an under water rover to search the 3 shelves below the water line and only seen a piece of ?? maybe wire.

Ickie
December 12th, 2010, 05:47
Also they pointed out that in 1940 15 bones were found and sent to Fiji and the Dr who examined them said hey were from a man, Asian. Last year a modern researcher who did not have the bones just plugged in the data to her computer and she claims it was a woman, European and 5'8", I would place my money on the Dr. who had these bones in his hands in 1940. Knowbody knows where these bones are now.

Aviator32
December 12th, 2010, 05:57
I found some finger bones once. I handed them in to the local Police station with a map showing exactly where I found them. I was hoping it would solve some long standing mystery but I never heard any more about it. The desk sergeant didn't seem very interested. They are quite possibly just sitting in an evidence bag on a shelf somewhere, all but forgotten.

Has anyone seen the film? Hilary Swank was perfectly cast I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioZCEpRLpxo

beana51
December 12th, 2010, 06:13
Amelia Earhart ..a Remarkable women...in a time when women were thought best in the kitchen,and pregnant....She in her time was the"RIGHT STUFF".....seen that program,and it adds to the mystery...now with modern investigative methods ,they are as close as they can get....in any event,her spirit,and her mystic ,will live in the annuals of Aviation history for ever...the great one's take chances to experience,explore,along with the glory ,often paid for at a terrible price.

If the The 'Space Shuttle Challenger disaster ' taught us any thing,its that there exists people who will continue to do what they are put on the earth to do....To continue the quest for achievements,and knowledge.Yes They are the "CHALLENGERS like "Amelia Earhart "... Amelia, An American Hero!

Little Chacha
December 12th, 2010, 08:47
We studied her at school :(
It is sad she passed that way.
But she became a legend.
Hold on I have a picture of her and me, well a small school project.
I will ask my mom if I can upload it.
:wavey:

Little Chacha
December 12th, 2010, 08:49
My Mom said I can, Hold on.
:wavey:

Little Chacha
December 12th, 2010, 08:53
I know how to attach pictures :wavey:

Panther_99FS
December 12th, 2010, 08:53
I watched the 2 hour program last night, and once again the guy that has been on this for over 20 years failed to prove she was there, it was a very good program thou. The bone in question failed to produce any DNA. Near the end of the program they did mention that there was once a coast guard station there near the place which they were searching on the SE corner of the small Island.
There was a glimmer of hope thou, a old person who use to live on the island remembers a plane wreckage on the NW corner. But the navy searched this area 1 week after she became missing and took photo's and the wreckage was not in the photo's, but on 1 old photo unknown when it was taken, was a small object seems to be out of the water, and on the program they used an under water rover to search the 3 shelves below the water line and only seen a piece of ?? maybe wire.

Same special I watched last night...Ron,
you forgot to mention the woman at the end of show who claims she heard Amelia on the radio (apparantly stranded) from ionosphere bouncing of the echo signals..

Cirrus N210MS
December 12th, 2010, 08:56
i seen the Movie it was very well Done the airplane stuff was fun to watch :salute:

Daveroo
December 12th, 2010, 09:56
I know how to attach pictures :wavey:
hannah,hate to be a party pooper...but can you namethe planes that are in that poster in the pic you posted?...

Dave

beana51
December 18th, 2010, 18:24
Great Photos!....Some rare...some from the possible site of Amelia's last place...It seems they have gotten closer than ever before...BUT??...Nothing is confirmed!...Yet!!

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Bones-may-those-Amelia-Earhart/ss/events/lf/121710ameliaearhart

Cloud9Gal
December 19th, 2010, 18:08
I loved the movie "Amelia"! Hillary Swank and Richard Geere did an outstanding job portraying Amelia and George.