PDA

View Full Version : Sinking wheels with bismarck13 planes

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 9th, 2010, 11:58
I have noticed that the Dewoitine D.520 and D.551 plus the Rogozarski IK-3 has contact points that allows these planes main wheels to sink. I have just two pictures to show.
D.520 Vichy

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 9th, 2010, 11:59
here's the second pic.
IK-3 Yugoslav air force

Shessi
December 9th, 2010, 13:58
Hi B,
It may not just be the contact points, it may be your airfield or runway height. Do they all do it wherever you are? If so then will be contact points, check and come back.

Shessi

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 9th, 2010, 16:08
I will check ASAP, Shessi.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 9th, 2010, 16:24
Shessi, I checked the two planes out at Wake Airfield... and they still do it.

I know for a fact that it is the contact points.

And the Same is said for the D.551.

Shessi
December 10th, 2010, 02:14
Hi BA,
Well the CPs aren't too bad. Pic 1 show on the runway and perfect, Pic 2 shows on soft ground, no too bad.

Right a contact tweak is what you want!

Look at Pic 3, this is the Contact Points section of the D520 'aircraft.cfg' file. The underlined in red sections represent the tail wheel and then left and then right main wheel contact points.
These are what need to be altered.
Look at Pic 4, this diagram shows how you need to think about + or -. To get the wheels higher ie away from the ground (so they don't 'sink') they need to have a higher minus - figure or vica versa.

Now have a play with those figures. Backup the cfg file. Then when you have adjusted those figures, save the cfg file and re-load CFS2. Have a look and see what difference you have made. Keep making SMALL adjustments until happy.
A hint to get you started, -0.90 for the tail wheel and -5.85 for the two main wheels.......

See what you can do :jump:

Cheers Shessi

PJMack
December 10th, 2010, 02:28
Hi BA,
Well the CPs aren't too bad. Pic 1 show on the runway and perfect, Pic 2 shows on soft ground, no too bad.

Right a contact tweak is what you want!

Look at Pic 3, this is the Contact Points section of the D520 'aircraft.cfg' file. The underlined in red sections represent the tail wheel and then left and then right main wheel contact points.
These are what need to be altered.
Look at Pic 4, this diagram shows how you need to think about + or -. To get the wheels higher ie away from the ground (so they don't 'sink') they need to have a higher minus - figure or vica versa.

Now have a play with those figures. Backup the cfg file. Then when you have adjusted those figures, save the cfg file and re-load CFS2. Have a look and see what difference you have made. Keep making SMALL adjustments until happy.
A hint to get you started, -0.90 for the tail wheel and -5.85 for the two main wheels.......

See what you can do :jump:

Cheers ShessiMark,

Drawing 4 is awsome. Is it a flyable model? LOL:jump:

Shessi
December 10th, 2010, 02:46
Patrick,
See what scasm-ing in the wrong hands does!! This was a B29 before I started...;)

Me

normb
December 10th, 2010, 03:57
Nicely said! And thanks for helping a fellow hobbiest.

Along the same lines: What adjustment can be made when the tail wheel sinks in after adding payload to an aircraft/ No specific example in mind.

How about softening the gear to get a more spongy affect like some of the old long throw strut aircraft had? I'd like to soften my Clawson Waco YKC a bit.

Thanks!
NormB

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 11th, 2010, 06:12
The trouble is, I'm not very good at editing contact points.

simonu
December 11th, 2010, 07:38
The trouble is, I'm not very good at editing contact points
Have you tried? it is the only way to get better. Keep at it till you get it right.

Talon
December 11th, 2010, 08:38
Have you tried? it is the only way to get better. Keep at it till you get it right.

That's the main problem with some members today" They don't try hard enough ". If they don't succeed in 1 or 2 tries they figure someone else will do it for them. I've aske questions through the years on how to do things and learned how to do it myself. Some of the things I've come up with I did by accident but at it was because I was trying to do things.

Talon

PJMack
December 11th, 2010, 08:59
That's the main problem with some members today" They don't try hard enough ". If they don't succeed in 1 or 2 tries they figure someone else will do it for them. I've aske questions through the years on how to do things and learned how to do it myself. Some of the things I've come up with I did by accident but at it was because I was trying to do things.

Talon

Kids these days have no respect. LOL:jump:

mariereid
December 11th, 2010, 09:16
I'm just a 59 year old kid myself. It's true, the more ya try to figure things out, the more ya learn. I'm very slowly figuring out how to repaint aircraft. I have discovered more than a few things by experimenting. I gotta say, thank goodness so many of you have blazed the trail for us!:salute:

Shessi
December 11th, 2010, 10:56
Well hey BvA, here's your chance to improve!

All the info you need is there. If you follow it, you WILL be successful.

I appreciate your feelings but I wouldn't say it unless I felt you could do it, so why not give it a go?

Cheers Shessi

Shessi
December 11th, 2010, 11:12
"...Along the same lines: What adjustment can be made when the tail wheel sinks in after adding payload to an aircraft/ No specific example in mind.

How about softening the gear to get a more spongy affect like some of the old long throw strut aircraft had? I'd like to soften my Clawson Waco YKC a bit."

Hi Norm,
Well TBH you can't have it both ways, unfortunately.
If there is a tail wheel oleo modelled (not common at all) and dampening/rebound is built into that oleo. You can have that oleo moving, but it will not affect how far the wheel/tyre sinks into the ground, only the tail wheel contact point will do that, and will do it all the time, loaded or not.
To have softer oleo settings and sinking into the ground why not create another copy of that ac. Make it with softer oleos and higher contact points (ie simulating heavier and sinking into the ground) you could then choose this version when you want to fly loaded and pick the original when not.

For example see the attached pic. In the contact points section the info underlined in red will affect the damping/rebound of the u/c (definition of each is in the desc above). To alter the 'sink' depth of u/c alter the info underlined in green, using the previously posted pic I attached as addional reference.

Cheers Shessi

Oglivie
December 11th, 2010, 12:53
Also, here is a doc that explains the contact points (in MS Word format):

http://files.fsnordic.net/Flight_Simulator/Miscellaneous/SDK/
about 1/4 way down the page find:
FS2002 Aircraft Container Software Development Kit

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 22nd, 2011, 04:30
I have to tell this. The contact points is like a foreign language i don't understand.

Shessi
February 22nd, 2011, 11:21
Hi BvA,
Where have you got to?

What have you done so far?

Exactly what do you not understand?

Cheers Shessi

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 22nd, 2011, 11:30
I don't understand the basics of configuring contact points.

sc7500
February 22nd, 2011, 11:55
Boeing, I get the impression that you and I are in the same boat - we work better with a visual reference.

May I suggest that you download / purchase the current version of AirWrench ?

http://www.mudpond.org/

It has a VISUAL REPRESENTATION of the contact points [as well as Center of Gravity / Weight Distribution / Suspension Firmness / Engine, Fuel Tank, and Pilot Placement] that make getting a plane to sit correctly and fly well almost TOO easy !

If you already have AirWrench, then several of us here can coach you.... But the proggie is fairly self-explanatory.... And don't give up !

SC
:kilroy:

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 23rd, 2011, 11:18
how do you insert the contact points into airwrench?

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 23rd, 2011, 11:31
I have airwrench now how do you fix the sinking wheels?

sc7500
February 23rd, 2011, 11:49
The image below should help a bit:

The only other software I know of that works better than AirWrench for visuals on Contact Points is Aircraft Container Manager.... Older versions are virtually unobtainable and, if you DO find a copy, it needs a password.

A new version for FSX is being developed by the original programmer [Karl-Heinz Klotz - please read this thread for more info: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19657].

Perhaps we can prevail upon him to make the newest version backwards compatible for our little Sim ?

Experiment Away !:wavey:
SC
:kilroy: