PDA

View Full Version : Stop Stuttering:Disable indexing service??

wichner
November 26th, 2008, 15:34
There has got to be a catch. On another forum this advice was given to reduce stuttering on XP systems:
"my computer, fsx drive, properties, uncheck ALLOW INDEXING SERVICE TO INDEX THIS DISK FOR FAST FILE SEARCHING'..
When i went to 'apply' this change, the pc asked me 'if i want to apply to the disk only' or 'to all subfolders and files'. i got scared and bailed out. set everything back to normal and came here for some sage advice.

Can anyone comment on this process? Does it work? Should I have applied it to 'all subfolders and files'?
What is the catch? You have to lose something...will I have SLOW indexing file searching? What will this mean in terms of fsx and playing fps games? No PC guru here but hoping someone can provide some knowledgeable direction. Thanks

Roger
November 26th, 2008, 15:56
Good question,
I can't help you but I'm interested in what experts may have to offer?

JSkorna
November 26th, 2008, 16:16
Hi,

You should turn file indexing off for your entire system.

Thoe6969
November 26th, 2008, 16:23
Yeh I did mine a long time ago,it takes quite a while to do,and didn't see a big differance but it did help.

harleyman
November 26th, 2008, 17:46
So what option do you choose?

1. For The Drive only
2. Or the drive ,subfolders and files

That is the question he was asking...now I want to learn too,cause I too went to do this ages ago and bailed there too.......LOL

Thanks

JSkorna
November 26th, 2008, 18:52
Hi All,

In My Computer right click on the hard drive icon(s) and go to Properties. Uncheck Allow Index Service to index this drive for faster file searching.

djscoo
November 26th, 2008, 18:57
Hi All,

In My Computer right click on the hard drive icon(s) and go to Properties. Uncheck Allow Index Service to index this drive for faster file searching.
Hmm...I'll jump on this band wagon, because i too bailed out at that point. After I uncheck allow indexing, there is another window that pops up with two radio buttons...

For The Drive only
Or the drive ,subfolders and files

Which do I choose?

harleyman
November 26th, 2008, 19:14
Hi All,

Yes Jim we get that...but what do you check next before applying?

For The Drive only
Which do I choose?

wichner
November 27th, 2008, 01:46
we have 150 people interested in this. hoping to reorder this post to top so someone knowledgeable can comment and provide an answer. thanks

harleyman
November 27th, 2008, 01:48
Yes Jim we get that...but what do you check next before applying?

For The Drive only
Which do I choose?

And would you choose this option for all your Hard Drives? (except storage)

Thanks

Quixoticish
November 27th, 2008, 02:09
Disable indexing for everything because it's utterly pointless. Knock it off on all of your hard drives for the "drive, subfolders and files" and wait for it to complete. Once it's done go to the start menu and choose "run" and type in "services.msc". Scroll down to the "indexing service". Right click on it and change the dropdown menu to "disabled". Apply and re-start your PC.

harleyman
November 27th, 2008, 02:58
Thanks ChrisH.....

Quixoticish
November 27th, 2008, 03:16
No problems. It's one of those annoying things that comes enabled by default in Windows but 99.9% of users will have absolutely no use for whatsoever.

Bjoern
November 27th, 2008, 09:54
Make that 100%. It's as annoying and useless as preinstalled software on a Wal-Mart PC.

Roger
November 27th, 2008, 10:32
Vista didn't like me doing that to my C drive although my other hard drive went without any problems. My C drive now is not indexing but I think all the sub folders still are??

waco
November 27th, 2008, 17:17
From what I've read, Indexing Service is useful for work stations only. Elder Geek doesn't think it's very useful, just possibly. To disable it see here.
http://lifehacker.com/software/optimization/turn-off-indexing-and-speed-up-windows-xp-031440.php

GT182
November 27th, 2008, 17:38
Here's a dumb question for ya.....

Is this for XP only. Or useful in Vista too for guys like Moe having problems? ;) The link Waco gave only shows how to turn it off in XP.

waco
November 27th, 2008, 18:15
Sorry, don't have Vista. See here for it.
http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-disable-vista%E2%80%99s-desktop-search-indexing-windows-search/

djscoo
November 27th, 2008, 18:20
I hope it's okay for Vista...I just did it last night, and everything seems to still be okay!

Marlin
November 28th, 2008, 06:50
Thanks for the tip, anything for a couple of FPS :applause::ernae::applause:

Bjoern
November 28th, 2008, 08:31
Thanks for the tip, anything for a couple of FPS :applause::ernae::applause:

No FPS gain here, only smoothness and maybe quicker texture loading.

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 09:15
Thanks guys for this thread. I just did the tune to vista. I hope this enables some smoothness to FSX as its quite jumpy presently.

I hate seeing the HD light running when I have nothing running on the computer. At least in XP and Win98SE we could shut down subsystems and have just the bare essentials running.