PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Gas Stations - 1920's

Moses03
December 5th, 2010, 16:38
A friend sent these along in a email. I thought they were really neat photos.

Moses

Moses03
December 5th, 2010, 16:39
Round 2-

Note how modern the Amoco station looks for it's day. #4 in this batch.

Moses03
December 5th, 2010, 16:41
The rest-

wbuchart
December 5th, 2010, 17:04
...Makes me want to fire up GW3......

brad kaste
December 5th, 2010, 17:10
Great old photos Moses. I like the number #4 picture in the first batch. There's an advertisement for Oldfield tires. It appears Barney Oldfield of racing fame tried his hand in selling automobile tires at that time.

Willy
December 5th, 2010, 17:31
Great pictures there Moses. There's the main building left of an old gas station from way before WWII in town here. If I remember, I'll try to get a pic of it. The pumps are long gone and it's used as an office by the cable company these days. Actually, about all they have downtown is buildings that go back to way before WWII.

I'd like to have some of those available as scenery objects for EZ Scenery. I'd be having some fun with it ;)

paiken
December 5th, 2010, 17:37
Oil - 20 cents a quart
Gas - 23 cents a gallon

Those were the days!

EasyEd
December 5th, 2010, 17:49
Hey All,

Great pictures!

I remember buying gas for 29.9 a gallon.

-Ed-

Lionheart
December 5th, 2010, 20:41
Some great old photos.

Really makes you think how far we have come....

Bill

brad kaste
December 6th, 2010, 04:39
Some great old photos.

Really makes you think how far we have come....

Bill

Hey Bill,....for the life of me,....I'd rather visit and tank up at one of those 1920's and 1930's service stations than these gas-marts we have today. As a kid growing up in the 1950's, these old time gas stations were already being replaced with the more conventional 'boxy' ones. These 'conventional' ones had no more charm or character than today's mini-mart gas stations. I'm sure there's still some well preserved ones still out there,...but mostly it's going down memory lane or old photos to view these gems.

wbuchart
December 6th, 2010, 04:57
Hey Bill,....for the life of me,....I'd rather visit and tank up at one of those 1920's and 1930's service stations than these gas-marts we have today. As a kid growing up in the 1950's, these old time gas stations were already being replaced with the more conventional 'boxy' ones. These 'conventional' ones had no more charm or character than today's mini-mart gas stations. I'm sure there's still some well preserved ones still out there,...but mostly it's going down memory lane or old photos to view these gems.

There is a restored one in Midlletown, KY (part of Metro Louisville).....

Terry
December 6th, 2010, 05:26
Great pictures there Moses. There's the main building left of an old gas station from way before WWII in town here. If I remember, I'll try to get a pic of it. The pumps are long gone and it's used as an office by the cable company these days. Actually, about all they have downtown is buildings that go back to way before WWII.

I'd like to have some of those available as scenery objects for EZ Scenery. I'd be having some fun with it ;)

There are a few old stations included with Akron, Key Largo, and Waco scenery from the Old Hanger. They work fine with IS2.

Navy Chief
December 6th, 2010, 06:58
The Three Stooges "worked" at a service station once...heh, heh...

"Super Service"!!!

NC

brad kaste
December 6th, 2010, 07:18
The Three Stooges "worked" at a service station once...heh, heh...

"Super Service"!!!

NC

Wow,...Moe, Larry, and Curly servicing a Packard. Now that's scary!

demorier
December 7th, 2010, 00:00
The "Oldfield" tyres got me to....what grip !!

I'm expecting to see Bonnie and Clyde refuelling in some of those shots.

crashaz
December 7th, 2010, 00:37
Thats my time period...I see some scenery on the horizon!

Thanks for the photos Moses!:wavey:

OleBoy
December 7th, 2010, 05:54
Vintage was the times wasn't it? Now and for the most part the only places remnants can be seen are scattered amongst walls of car buffs and collectors.

Slightly OT but I have to say, I'd really enjoy an FSX state of Golden Wings "Extreme" I can just imagine how realistic it could be.