PDA

View Full Version : Moon and Planet taken with D7000

jmig
December 3rd, 2010, 03:22
This is a shot of the Moon and what I assume to be Venus side by side. It was taken yesterday Dec 2, 2010 with the D7000 at 3200 ISO and shows what he camera can do. The shot is hand held at 1/5 sec. F5.6 and 105mm. I have cropped the picture to better show the two objects.

Reviews and owners have raved over the ISO performance of his camera. I think the noise is quite low for 3200 in this shot. I shot with the ISO set at 200 and it will automatically raise it as necessary. The max ISO I allow is 3200.

I was impressed just how bright the planet was. This was around 5:30AM when I went out to get the paper. This morning I went out to re-shoot using the tripod but the positions had racially changed. :(

Cazzie
December 3rd, 2010, 04:19
That's impressive for hand-held John, good shake reduction in the lens. A bit over-exposed, which shows the moon's dark face to advantage. That is Venus, coming out from behind the sun, that's why it appears as a disk. It will get higher each day and become larger in diameter, but will be come more gibbous in shape before reaching a quarter shape at zenith and then becoming an ever widening crescent as the planet falls back into the dace of the sun.

Get a tripod John, they're cheap, use manual everything on astro objects and shutter priority. Bracket your shutter speeds and keep a note of what delivers the best at what ISO. Use the 2-second self-timer on the shutter, there is less shake than when you push the shutter.

I know you're loving that camera, a telephoto cannot be far into the future. :applause:

Caz