PDA

View Full Version : Is British Snow Different?

stuartcox
December 1st, 2010, 22:20
Two days ago we had a few inches of snow! Nothing special you would think...
Yesterday morning I made my way to work, waited for a bus into town but nothing turned up!
So I walked for 50 minutes, enjoying the seasonal landscape.
Having arrived at the office I took the lift up to our floor, only to find a notice on the door saying that the office is closed due to the weather conditions!
I could see one of the receptionists through the glass window, knocked on the door, and told her to let me in, as the door was locked from the inside. That was a first!
After a hot cup of coffee and cancelling my appointments, telling the receptionist off for not notifying staff, I walked back home!
This morning we had another 4 inches!
All rail and bus services are cancelled, Gatwick is shut for another 24 hours, needless to say that my office is closed again (no staff), and I'm sitting here writing this, and twiddling my thumbs!
Having lived in Bavaria for over 20 years, I can't get my head around the Brit's preparation for a winter. It's ludicrous!

Gatwick earlier:
Strange enough, Heathrow is only 35 miles away, ran by the same operator, and everything is running smoothly, despite the same ammount of snow!

Willy
December 1st, 2010, 22:29
Dunno... when I was over there, it looked like the same snow we get. But then around here if it snows, they shut everything down anyway.

We got some pretty big snows in Scotland when I was stationed there and nothing shut down. Yall must have got some of that southern US snow is all I can figure.

CG_1976
December 1st, 2010, 22:33
Weird Snow and shutdowns. Yellowknife doesn't ever, we get creative. I guess you got our COD Package:icon_lol:. Just pass it back to the US Upper Midwest, they know how to handle it.

OBIO
December 1st, 2010, 23:50
I do believe that British snow has a much stronger accent than the typical US snow. Minnesota snow, however, has a very strong accent and only people from Minnesota can under stand a darn thing it says.

OBIO

Aviator32
December 2nd, 2010, 02:12
There are four people in my office today - usually there are thirty or so. If you live in south London or out of town then it seems there is absolutely no way to get in. It's absurd!
I got in ok but I wouldn't be surprised if I have to walk home today. The streets in central London are the quietest I have seen them in many years.

stuartcox
December 2nd, 2010, 02:14
Now, back home, I'm really enjoying this!
A day off work, and we are having great fun on a snowy beach...

24608 24609

Quixoticish
December 2nd, 2010, 02:46
Actually it is quite different due to the climate and the constant warming/cooling that we see on the snow. Snow is one thing but the melting snow that turns to ice is another, conditions are more dangerous (especially on the roads) simply because the snow that is lying freezes and melts, then refreezes and so forth. I was discussing this with a good friend of mine who is Swedish and as happy as she is with the snow and inclement weather over there she despises the snow over here for that reason.

I must admit I'm getting a bit sick and tired of people blaming a variety of reasons for everything shutting down when they are missing the bigger picture; the main reason things close is because of our beautiful modern litigation culture and people are terrified of being sued. It's nothing to do with "health and safety gone mad" or "the younger generation being soft" (frankly people who trot off these reasons tend to be utter idiots).

The media is also partially to blame. They are whipping people up into a frenzy, when I was younger we would have the odd snow day from school and just accept it, enjoy it, and get back to school as soon as it was safe to do so. These days there has to be a national enquiry and every armchair and keyboard warrior has to have their say and inflict their ill informed opinions on us all.

And finally blame needs to be levelled and idiot motorists who close roads by causing accidents because they aren't driving to the conditions. I'm sick and tired of seeing people driving along with a tiny peep-hole in the snow on their windscreen, or bombing along the motorway at 70mph in a blizzard. The vast majority of the time it is accidents that close the roads, not the bad weather, and if people behaved more responsibly, left for work a little earlier and just stopped being so flippant with other peoples lives there would be much less disruption.

I'm sorry if this seems somewhat harsh and I'm coming across as very agitated by the whole subject but my partner is a teacher and they, as always, are bearing the brunt of the vitriolic and at times disgusting abuse from various corners of the nation with regards to the schools being closed by people who don't know what they are talking about. When you start taking your life in your hands for the reasons outlined above the line has to be drawn.

People should just relax, stop listening to the news and reading newspapers and enjoy the snow in the short time that it's here. We live in a beautiful country and it looks so picturesque at the moment, there's no excuse for not getting out and appreciating it for the time being, as Stuart above and his dog seem to be doing! :icon_lol:

jmig
December 2nd, 2010, 03:40
.... the main reason things close is because of our beautiful modern litigation culture and people are terrified of being sued. It's nothing to do with "health and safety gone mad" or "the younger generation being soft" (frankly people who trot off these reasons tend to be utter idiots).

I'll have you know young man, I use to walk five miles in the snow to school. My dad told me he walked in 10 feet of snow to school...barefooted. :d

This was back in the days before global warming and it used to snow in the Southern US. :jump:

Well actually, I use to walk five miles to school...when I missed the bus. And my last year of high school, I would get off the bus at my girlfriend's school, talk to her until I had to leave for my school. That was about a two mile walk. Can't blame that on the weather, however. [/tongueincheek]

Your comment on litigation makes a lot of sense. I had never thought of it that ay before. Down here in the southern US, if one snowflake hits the ground we cancel everything. Heck, it doesn't even have to snow. It just has to get below freezing for a couple hours.

Terry
December 2nd, 2010, 04:09
Perhaps its time we all read up on Shakespeare's opinions on litigation! Some common sense is in order.

kilo delta
December 2nd, 2010, 05:00
It's the same deal in Ireland...almost the entire country has shut down. Schools are closed and people are staying at home rather than venture out.
A major factor is that the majority of Irish drivers do not have winter tyres (no need really as it's very rare to get snow here...although it's beginning to look like the climate has begun to change over the past 2 years). As Chris mentioned, the snow isn't too much of a concern itself However when it begins to melt during the day and re-freezes later that evening (it was -8°C in my town last night with up to -13°C in other areas of the country) it becomes a problem. Couple that with all season tyres, inadequate supplies of road salt/grit and travelling about becomes rather dangerous...especially for the many motorists who've never driven on snow or ice before.
I brought my wife out in our rear wheel drive 3 series bmw to an empty local car park yesterday in order to teach her how to control the car in a slide in a safe and controlled manner. She is much more confident in driving on compacted ice now.

stuartcox
December 2nd, 2010, 05:36
I brought my wife out in our rear wheel drive 3 series bmw to an empty local car park yesterday in order to teach her how to control the car in a slide in a safe and controlled manner. She is much more confident in driving on compacted ice now.

I actually passed my driving test in new snow in a 325i!
If you can handle that, then you're fit for the road! Being a Bavarian car it's the worse you can encounter in snowy situations.
'Never start in first gear! Use second, and play with the clutch....blah blah, blah blah!'

stiz
December 2nd, 2010, 05:49
i'm still amazed of the fact that the snow comes as a suprise to most of england! I'm with about idiot motorists, i think "common sense" should be put in the driveing test, that and at least some time on a skid pad or summing.

kilo delta
December 2nd, 2010, 05:59
I actually passed my driving test in new snow in a 325i!
If you can handle that, then you're fit for the road! Being a Bavarian car it's the worse you can encounter in snowy situations.
'Never start in first gear! Use second, and play with the clutch....blah blah, blah blah!'

Lot's of opposite lock and lay off the brakes,too! :d

We've 17" alloys on our car with 225 width tyres. Drop the pressure to ~ 18 psi and it grips pretty well on the icey snow.

Trans_23
December 2nd, 2010, 06:09
I live in an area that sees it's fair share of snow and ice and I can tell you that most motorists forget from the previous year on how to drive in it. I can't begin to imagine how bad it is in an area where that majority has never experienced it.

stiz
December 2nd, 2010, 06:19
o they have experienced it .. last year when it snowed far worse for example .. they've just forgotten it all!

stuartcox
December 2nd, 2010, 06:55
When I was driving in Bavaria, it was common sense to have two sets of tyres!
Snow arrived at the end of October, so you put the winter wheels on...!
Maybe the pilots arriving at Gatwick should do the same!

stiz
December 2nd, 2010, 07:15
.. or they should get a snow plough and salt! :monkies:

its laughably pathetic really ....

kilo delta
December 2nd, 2010, 07:23

It's part of the driving law in many continental EU countries that you MUST have snow/winter tyres fitted during the Winter. It wasn't and isn't a requirement in the UK/Eire as heavy/long lasting snowfalls are, or used to be, very uncommon.
I'm old enough to remember the heavy snows of 1982 where there were 6ft snow drifts on the roads around my parents house.

Tako_Kichi
December 2nd, 2010, 08:37
I'm old enough to remember the heavy snows of 1982 where there were 6ft snow drifts on the roads around my parents house.
I remember that winter well. I was made redundant from my previous job in November and to try and make ends meet I took a job as a taxi driver until I could find work in my field. Getting around in those blizzards was a nightmare but the money was good while it lasted as we were charging 'after midnight' rates due to the weather conditions and the time taken for each journey. Once the snow cleared away the money disappeared though! As a 'driver' (as opposed to an 'owner/operator') we got 33% of our day's take as our daily 'wage' and I remember one Saturday I worked 13 hours straight and took home 5.45 GBP! (less than $10 US at the exchange rate of the time). I vowed I would never work a Saturday again after that.

Thankfully I started a new 'real' job shortly after that episode and never had to drive a taxi again.

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2010, 16:09
The Baltic Sea starts to freeze up in ports and I have to walk to work. *Grr*

Fcking winter. [Curses]

stiz
December 2nd, 2010, 16:50
I have to walk to work. *Grr*

good for ya! :173go1:

CG_1976
December 3rd, 2010, 06:21
Yahooo

Due to severe weather conditions, Yellowknife Airport (CYZF) is closed until further notice - Issued by the CAA 02/12/2010, 22:44z

Time to spark up the heater, grab my fishing pole and beer chest and hit the ice.:jump:

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2010, 06:24
Satellite view of a snowy Ireland and the UK..

Ferry_vO
December 3rd, 2010, 06:44
Sounds like the same snow we get on this side of the North sea! :wavey:

Only one inch on Monday afternoon and the whole country was stuck in traffic with almost 600 miles of traffic jams..

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 06:57
I bet a British Snow White would be different.

I'm going to think about her on my way home from work :snowman:

allcott
December 3rd, 2010, 07:34
I bet a British Snow White would be different.

I'm going to think about her on my way home from work :snowman:

Yes, she'd be all nice and clean during the day, very pretty to look at and fun to play with.

Then come the night time she'll freeze up, stop you going out and turn into a right pain in the arse... :salute:

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2010, 08:44
Yes, she'd be all nice and clean during the day, very pretty to look at and fun to play with.

Then come the night time she'll freeze up, stop you going out and turn into a right pain in the arse... :salute:

Jeez...sounds like I've been married to her for the last 10 years without knowing!

RKinkor
December 3rd, 2010, 08:52
I do believe that British snow has a much stronger accent than the typical US snow. Minnesota snow, however, has a very strong accent and only people from Minnesota can under stand a darn thing it says.

OBIOLOL OBIO considering I'm from minnesota and an Aircraft fueler at MSP and waiting for another 4 to 5 inches tonight

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 09:08

No, she'd be clean, pretty and fun during the day but she would get bladdered with the Dwarfs on Friday night and spend the rest of the weekend feeling Sleepy (and Dopey).

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2010, 11:40
good for ya! :173go1:

Things Stiz doesn't know:

Bjoern is an avid cyclist.

aeromed202
December 3rd, 2010, 12:16
Of course, it swirls to the left.

hairyspin
December 3rd, 2010, 13:00

It has been suggested aircraft wishing to use LGW (Airwick Gatport) fit snow chains to their wheels. Landings would be a bit bumpy, but Ryanair passengers are used to that. :icon_lol:

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2010, 13:11
but Ryanair passengers are used to that. :icon_lol:

:d

I flew with Ryanair DUB-BHX a few weeks ago and the landing was hard...very hard. Boeing sure know how to design landing gear. I bet the pilot in command was an ex- naval aviator!!!!

Having said that the return flight only cost me €20 all in. :)

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2010, 14:20
More snow today and sub zero temps again tonight!

Ever since it started snowing the wife has just been staring through the window non stop. If it gets much worse I'm gonna have to let her in.

Curtis P40
December 3rd, 2010, 14:59
Good one...:ernae:

luckydog
December 3rd, 2010, 14:59
More snow today and sub zero temps again tonight!

Ever since it started snowing the wife has just been staring through the window non stop. If it gets much worse I'm gonna have to let her in.

:ernae::ernae: