PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Package!

OBIO
December 1st, 2010, 14:10
Earlier this afternoon, while I was reclining in my comfy chair-and-a-half, the doggies laying on my belly, sleeping under a red and blue checker board throw, I was engrossed in an episode of "Lie To Me" on Netflix...a wonderful television show that I had never seen before...and now that I have found this show, I have one reason to miss cable television.

Anyhow, I saw a weird flash of light play across the living room ceiling and thought that someone had pulled into the drive way. I got up, looked out the picture window...nothing. So I got back into my chair, got back into my comfy position, the puppies resumed their belly surfing and I went back to watching "Lie To Me".

A little bit ago, I took the dogs out for a potty. On the way back in, I saw an Amazon shipping box sitting in the white patio chair that sits outside our garage service door. I looked at the address on it..it was addressed to me. Hum? I quickly run through my noodley brain trying to remember if I had ordered anything. Nope. Had Deb ordered anything? Nope...and I am sure of this since she does not have any of the account info for Amazon.com, Paypal...not even E-Bay...when my e-mail was hacked a while back, I changed all my online shopping account info and passwords and have "forgotten" to give Deb the new info.

So, I bring the box upstairs and sit it on the kitchen floor. I call the dogs, Brutus and Hazel, back into the kitchen and have them smell the box. Neither of them are trained in the detection of explosives or bio-chemical weapons....but you never know. Hazel went nuts for about 5 minutes the first time we fired up the furnace for the year....you know that dusty, smokey smell that comes with the first fire up....Hazel did not like that smell and went from room to room with her hackles up, barking at the top of her 8-pound voice. Maybe she would react to the box in some way. Nothing from either dog...other than them looking at me like I was some sort of idiot...a trait they have learned from Deb evidently.

I carry the package into the livingroom and sit in my comfy chair to open it...then had second thoughts about that. Deb has all of her Christmas decorations out...and if there were to be a bomb in the box, the blast would mess up her carefully placed Nativity Scene and she would be really mad! So, into the office/sim room I bring the box.

I place the box on my desk, open the desk drawer and pull out my folding box knife. I carefully use the sharp blade to slice through the plastic on the box. No explosion, no unidentified white powder. That's good!

I slowly pull open the flaps on the box..still no BOOM! I slowly lean in over the box and I can see the packaging list. And I see this:

TrackIr 5 Professional Premium Head Tracking for Gaming

Then a bit lower, I see this:

To: Tim Hey, Tim, all the best for this holiday season. Be careful what ya wish for (smile)!!!! FROM: XXXXXXXXXXX

But where the Xs are, there was printed a name that I know. A name of one of the forum members. A name that has appeared on a few packages that have appeared at my doorstep the last couple years. First, there was a LAGO scenery package for FS2004. The Holiday Resorts package. Then there was a brand new 500gig Western Digital Caviar Black SATA drive. And now this.

I will not reveal the name of this member...but I will publicly express my gratitude, my thanks, and my joy for these gifts that you have so generously sent me...always by surprise, always without expectations. Thank you! You have made this Christmas some much brighter for me. May God above bless your every step this coming year and may He give onto you much happiness and joy.

Tim

Trans_23
December 1st, 2010, 14:26
Sweet! :applause:

n4gix
December 1st, 2010, 15:03
Outstanding! What a wonderful surprise! I'm sure you'll soon fall in love with it. I've yet to get a TrackIR myself, but it's on my list of things to get (eventually).

Yesterday I got a "surprise gift" from one of my distant colleagues...

...$350 deposited to my PayPal account to cover the cost of a<!--StartFragment --> Wacom Intuos4 Medium Pen Tablet*!

I ordered it and it should be delivered tomorrow. Since I now have two, custom-fitted wrist braces that I have to wear 24/7, my 3d modeling had come to a screeching halt. I simply can't grasp a mouse any longer (or at least not very well).

Thankfully my fingers aren't restricted too much in their movement, so at least I'm able to continue typing and coding gauges.

With this wonderful and totally unexpected gift, I should be able to get back to my 3d modeling as soon as I get used to using a lightweight "pen" instead of a mouse.

txnetcop
December 1st, 2010, 15:04
How awesome is that???? WOW! Bravo!!!
Ted

Curtis P40
December 1st, 2010, 15:08
So, you've had alittle time, how does it work ? Seriously, that's a really nice story..:applause::applause:

yank51
December 1st, 2010, 16:28
Neat!!! :ernae:

norab
December 1st, 2010, 16:38
good things happen to good people. Blessings on whoever sent it

Astoroth
December 1st, 2010, 16:56
Ah, very nice Tim, hope you have loads of enjoyment from it, and blessings on your benefactor!

P.S. Just a side note, I love reading your posts, you have such an entertaining way of telling the story...:applause:

Roadburner440
December 1st, 2010, 17:13
Congrats on the package Tim, and you deserve it! Good things do seem to find a way of happening to good people occasionally. Have to let me know how you like the whole TrackIR setup as that is something I have been on the fence about. Hope you have many fun hours with it!

Railrunner130
December 1st, 2010, 17:37
That's awesome!

OBIO
December 1st, 2010, 17:48
Some time back (a year or two...can't remember), the owner of my favorite small pizza shop loaned me his TrackIR 4 system for a couple weeks. It took a couple days to get used to flying with it, but once I did, it took my simming to a whole new level. Being able to lean forward and take a closer look at my gauges, being able to lean to one side or another and see down the side of the nose of open cockpit tail traggers and see where I am going, being able to look around at the scenery "naturally"....it was amazing.

At the end of the two weeks, I took the system back to him...and he told me to go ahead and keep it for a while. I told him that I couldn't do that...as I would be tempted to move to a foreign country and take his TrackIR system with me.

After going back to flying without the TrackIR, it took a while to get over that "something is missing" feeling.

For those who have been on the fence about getting a TrackIR system...get off the fence and order one. You will not be sorry. It is a pricey gadget, but well worth every penny IF you spend enough time flying. If you are a once or twice a week flyer or less, I wouldn't pony out the bucks for the system. But if you are a daily or near daily flyer...a TrackIR system will give you a level of immersion that no other add-on can.

I did note that my frame rates took a serious pounding in the short bit that I have flown with the system today. Did not notice that with the borrowed system. I may have to dig around a slightly older version of the TrackIR software...or run Game Booster to shut down unneeded background programs.

Tim

Milton Shupe
December 1st, 2010, 17:50
A great story about giving, and the display of gratitude ... thank you for sharing ... both of you.

djscoo
December 1st, 2010, 18:39
I did note that my frame rates took a serious pounding in the short bit that I have flown with the system today. Did not notice that with the borrowed system. I may have to dig around a slightly older version of the TrackIR software...or run Game Booster to shut down unneeded background programs.

Tim

I use the version 4.1 software with TrackIr 5 hardware...I found it to be slightly more stable/less of an impact on framerates than the initial release of the new software. I think there might have been an update since then, but I am happy with the older software atm.
:ernae:

stansdds
December 2nd, 2010, 02:12
Once you start using TIR, you will never sim without it. I've been a TIR user for years. I was skeptical at first, but my TIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion forever changed my sim world.

kilo delta
December 2nd, 2010, 05:06
Congrats on your new sim kit. :)

I got a package from Amazon yesterday too....a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle combo...an early Xmas pressie from Mrs KD.

Chacha
December 2nd, 2010, 08:46
Dang, Tim!

I always love reading your post,
you are very articulate!
Write a book!

Like he said: be careful what you wished for!
That dude has a huge heart, man...

Enjoy your package and enjoy the gadgets....

You are one blessed man!