PDA

View Full Version : I'll be Over the White CLiffs of DOver

Wulf190
November 30th, 2010, 17:38
I'm rebuilding my CFS2 install and I have a conundrum. I installed Gary Burn's fantastic BOB fields. The catch is that I've found a great replacement for his cliffs that also add the harbor of Dover, but currently the harbor is showing over the water and not on the shore...dunno how to fix that.

Any idea how I can disable Gary's Dover cliffs and install the replacement files and CFS2 can just be happy?

The packs I'm using are the manual install of Gary's BOB fields, and the ETO_Inf-Pak01. This on top of Sander's Europe, and Rhumba's Mesh.

PS. I found a Dover.bgl inf that was in the Bob airfields folder, I got rid of that and that fixed the error I was getting, but I still have a Dover harbor thats out in the channel!

Rami
November 30th, 2010, 18:05
Wulf190,

Well, I created a manual BoB bases install that might help, and a harbor at Dover, but some of Simonu's work may make it all obsolete one of these days...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=2668

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=49&id=2611

JapLance
November 30th, 2010, 22:13
In my install I keep that Dover Cliffs mod that includes a harbour, and also Rami's Dover Harbour. They're set up on top of Rhumbaflappy's LOD_7 and SdC stuff, and this is how it looks:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z92/JapLance/CFS2/Dover.jpg

kelticheart
December 1st, 2010, 00:34
I'm rebuilding my CFS2 install and I have a conundrum. I installed Gary Burn's fantastic BOB fields. The catch is that I've found a great replacement for his cliffs that also add the harbor of Dover, but currently the harbor is showing over the water and not on the shore...dunno how to fix that.....

Hi Wulf!

When nothing else works, usually a flatten switch of the area in the scenery.cfg file does the job.

The problem with Wright's Dover cliffs is that they "sit" on top of the mesh and not below it. I guess it goes the same way for Dover harbour. Flattens are routinely used by airport builders to level the exhisting mesh and are among the *.bgl files we find in addon scenery downloads. Rhumba's new mesh is so accurate that creates this problem with every coastal scenery.

I uploaded once, a few years back, the flatten switch I did for Dover Cliffs, this problem surfaced immediately as soon as I installed the very first addon mesh files for Southern England. It was an attachment to a thread, but I think it was lost during the various HDD crash, hacker attacks and server switchover.

If needs be, I can re-upload it.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Wulf190
December 1st, 2010, 01:36
Hi Rami! I used the manual BOB airfield setup you provided. (Tanks BTW!)

And I went through the Layout-4 pack you posted, but I have a question. I used Canion’s ETO objects, including his Dover harbor, but his setup and your is very different. In the layout pack you didn't specify how to handle it. (or I just missed it! Lots-O-Stuff!) Do I just install the objects, but not the gsl?

Also where do I find the CFS2_Hampden object? I seem to be missing it...

Wulf190,

Well, I created a manual BoB bases install that might help, and a harbor at Dover, but some of Simonu's work may make it all obsolete one of these days...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=45&id=2668

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=49&id=2611

Rami
December 1st, 2010, 05:27
Hi Rami! I used the manual BOB airfield setup you provided. (Tanks BTW!)

And I went through the Layout-4 pack you posted, but I have a question. I used Canion’s ETO objects, including his Dover harbor, but his setup and your is very different. In the layout pack you didn't specify how to handle it. (or I just missed it! Lots-O-Stuff!) Do I just install the objects, but not the gsl?

Also where do I find the CFS2_Hampden object? I seem to be missing it...

I did not use Canion's Dover setup, because it is based on Rhumba's files and not Sander's. So for now, especially since there aren't any beaches for Europe without Sander's files, I chose to create a GSL file of the Dover harbor I created for the BoB missions. I can't say how it would conflict or not with Canion's scenery, but my hunch is that it wouldn't work well at all.

As far as the Hampden, I've never heard of it. (Except the aircraft) Are you sure that's the name?

alpha_1
December 1st, 2010, 07:23
I uploaded once, a few years back, the flatten switch I did for Dover Cliffs, this problem surfaced immediately as soon as I installed the very first addon mesh files for Southern England. It was an attachment to a thread, but I think it was lost during the various HDD crash, hacker attacks and server switchover.

If needs be, I can re-upload it.I have the exact same problem. Would you mind uploading it again? I could sure use it. Mine looks like one set of cliffs in the air over the original.

Cheers!

Wulf190
December 1st, 2010, 14:44
As far as the Hampden, I've never heard of it. (Except the aircraft) Are you sure that's the name?

the error message is coming up as CFS2_Hampden. I am wondering if it is a building object missing from Sander's London or something.

And Rami, are you using a Dover Cliffs object? I know Rumba's mesh adds in the cliffs, but unfortunately they are not white! If so which one? Gary Burn's?

sc7500
December 1st, 2010, 15:59
...the error message is coming up as CFS2_Hampden...

Could it be a runway ?

SC
:kilroy:

Wulf190
December 1st, 2010, 16:16
Correction the error is referring to CFS2_Hampton. Still no idea what it is though.

sc7500
December 1st, 2010, 17:33
... Appears to be a building from the London scenery put out earlier this year.

I can't seem to locate the attending ZIP file, tho - any helpers out there ?
SC

Rami
December 1st, 2010, 17:43
the error message is coming up as CFS2_Hampden. I am wondering if it is a building object missing from Sander's London or something.

And Rami, are you using a Dover Cliffs object? I know Rumba's mesh adds in the cliffs, but unfortunately they are not white! If so which one? Gary Burn's?

Sorry, dudes...I had to spend a few hours tonight upgrading the CFS3 Library.

Okay, the Hampden: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/downloads/download.php?lloc=downloads&FileID=14028

I'm pretty sure this will fix it.

And as far as the Burns cliffs, no I'm not using them, but there will be white cliffs some again sooner than you think.

Wulf190
December 1st, 2010, 18:40
Hi Rami, I used that set with your Layout pack, but in the layout pack you wrote not to use the gsl in Sander's file (sdc_london_gsl_obj_kh.zip), but to use your own. Are these two different?

Rami
December 1st, 2010, 18:57
Hi Rami, I used that set with your Layout pack, but in the layout pack you wrote not to use the gsl in Sander's file (sdc_london_gsl_obj_kh.zip), but to use your own. Are these two different?

Wulf190,

Yes. That package in retrospect you don't need to download, because it just contains the GSL files. Mine not only contains the GSL London objects, but a port in East London, as well as a few other goodies.

Tomorrow morning, I may get around to fixing that upload.

Wulf190
December 1st, 2010, 18:58
Wulf190,

Yes. That package in retrospect you don't need to download, because it just contains the GSL files. Mine not only contains the GSL London objects, but a port in East London, as well as a few other goodies.

Tomorrow morning, I may get around to fixing that upload.

Gotcha. I'll wait for the fix then! :)

kdriver
December 2nd, 2010, 03:50
Hampton Court Palace, like all the other London landmarks, originally came with CFS 1. Robert John Sprackland also made two London landmark packages, one in 2006 and one last year. They both include Hampton Court. The second package can be found on SOH.

Rami
December 2nd, 2010, 04:20
This brings up a good point...are Sander's items destroyable, or should I use Robert John's?

Robert John
December 2nd, 2010, 07:05
If you have a gsl file and would like to replace a object with another, you can open the gsl file in notepad and go to edit, go to replace, type in the object name in find what and replace with new object name in replace.

Click replace all then save.

Your new object is now in your gsl file.

Robert John

Rami
December 2nd, 2010, 07:18
Robert John,

I used Martin Wright's GSl editor to convert the layouts to GSL files, so I'm very familiar to the process, but thank you.

Wulf190
December 2nd, 2010, 08:34
Hi Kdriver. I'm currently using one of Robert's packs, but I dunno which one. I doubt they are destroyable, but for me I'm installing them into CFS2 to add more 'life' not necessarily to add more targets. I already have the department covered with He-111s, Bf-109s, Zekes..... :)

Hampton Court Palace, like all the other London landmarks, originally came with CFS 1. Robert John Sprackland also made two London landmark packages, one in 2006 and one last year. They both include Hampton Court. The second package can be found on SOH.

Jean Bomber
December 2nd, 2010, 11:40
If you have a gsl file and would like to replace a object with another, you can open the gsl file in notepad and go to edit, go to replace, type in the object name in find what and replace with new object name in replace.

Click replace all then save.

Your new object is now in your gsl file.

Robert John

Thanks Robert for the tip,that's is good to know to simply replace some objects,even if I use also the Martin Wright's GSl editor http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.pnghttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

Rami you talk too much ....

.... but some of Simonu's work may make it all obsolete one of these days...

and

....but there will be white cliffs some again sooner than you think.

...or not enough :icon_lol:
I know there is way to do these cliffs like they are in the real (hard for the crashes ,the AI wingmen don't like them) ,by using the natural of the lod8 mesh,or even lod9,to make as the real and btw all these of the south coast of England and even far away in the front of the Channel ....
The task is enormous but doable,the main issue is to make them compatible inland with the Sanders files and also to connect them ,there is also an issue with the lod 5 sized flattens ,there is no way to exclude them ,they need to be desactived,it's as I saw that...
I've a Dover folder in my project folder with cliffs that work with white color but I've left them in the bottom of the list :kilroy:....I was too afraid by the task to do the things welldone, to be compatible and include the scenery in the Sander Euro,it could be needed to replace the entire Lod 5 ,due to the flattens issue f.e.....and about all the existing airbases ....that's why I'd chosen some less dense destinations to experiment ...
If Simonu is ready for the challenge ,I'm happy,the cliffs are in good hands :salute:.
Here a old map I have in my Dover folder It's named Dovermap1945 (?) I don't remember where it came (?),with a Google Heart screenshot layer to get the right choords ,it can help to do the harbor in an old style.

JP

kelticheart
December 4th, 2010, 02:02
I have the exact same problem. Would you mind uploading it again? I could sure use it. Mine looks like one set of cliffs in the air over the original.

Cheers!

Sure, Alpha_1!

Here's how my ETO scenery.cfg looks like at the Gary Burn's BoB airfields, which include the Cliffs of Dover, entry:

[Area.056]
Title=Burn's Battle of Britain Airfields
Local=..\CFS2_Scenery\EUROPEAN_WF\CFS2BoB
Active=TRUE
Layer=56
Required=FALSE
Remote=
; Cliffs of Dover flatten
Flatten.0=0, N51 7.65, E1 19.76, N51 9.14, E1 22.43, N51 11.28, E1 24.00, N51 7.65, E1 24.37

And here's an explanation of the topic, sent to me back in March 2006 by our good Bearcat246:

"Another possible remedy is to use the MSCFS2 readme instructions to construct a flatten area with coordinates that match the altitude and area perimeter of the offended base, then put this 4-sided switch into the scenery.cfg layer of the Coastal flattens, like so:

[Area.009]
Title=CFS2 Coast Pacific
Local=..\CFS2_Scenery\ENHANCED TERRAIN\CFS2 Coast Pacific
Flatten.0=112.24,N51 12.88,E1 20.50,N51 12.74,E1 18.92,N51 14.22,E1 17.46,N51 13.80,E1 20.21
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=9

You can use up to 10 flatten switches per area.XXX layer and up to 4 switches per base site. So if you use 4 switches total to do two bases in a given layer, you'll only have two left for the entire layer. But generally, it only really takes one switch to do an entire base if its not a sprawling complex."

The sintax of the flatten switch goes as follows:

Flatten.{switch number, 0 through 9}= {flatten altitude in feet}, {coordinates of the four corners of the area to be flattened, taken from Mission Builder overview of the area. Just point your mouse arrow and read altitude and the coords in the lower left corner of MB screen},

The coordinates must be listed in the switch in a clockwise sequence, starting from whichever corner you prefer. Each coordinate group must be separated by commas, leaving the last one out. Look at the above two examples to understand what I mean.

I hope this help, I am going to post this also as a separate thread.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Robert John
December 4th, 2010, 05:53
If the new mesh cannot be textured and we need a cliff model, a new model can be built.
The old model can be remodeled to fit the new mesh, it can be recompiled to a MB object or a normal scenery object.
I am remodeling some of the vehs in the cfs1 library with and without drivers/people and with LODS.
Robert John.

JapLance
December 4th, 2010, 07:11
Sure, Alpha_1!

Here's how my ETO scenery.cfg looks like at the Gary Burn's BoB airfields, which include the Cliffs of Dover, entry:

[...]
; Cliffs of Dover flatten
Flatten.0=0, N51 7.65, E1 19.76, N51 9.14, E1 22.43, N51 11.28, E1 24.00, N51 7.65, E1 24.37

Thanks for the tip, that makes it look even better :jump:.

Actually, it took me very long to realise they were floating in the air instead of sea level. From above is almost unnoticeable.

Robert John
December 4th, 2010, 11:15
Just been messing around with my 3d modeling software and converted the white cliffs of dover
and made the cliffs taller so the cliffs have a foundation that goes below the sea, it works in mission builder. Still more tweeking needed looking good
what sort of interest is there for this type of model.
Modeling ideas always wanted.

simonu
December 4th, 2010, 11:50
GSL models tend to pop up as you enter the GOB the effect is very marked with large things.
Cliff textures can be applied to mesh. but must be made to fit the mesh very precisly.

But you cannot have the white cliffs of Dover without the Cap Gris Nes over the water.

My first leg in ground2k has been from Hastings to the Ilse of dogs. But I want to go back over it as I am not happy with the beaches. There is a lot of pebbles around kent but some sand also, I want to get the mix right. When I am happy with Kent I will do LeHarve to Dunkirk or there abouts.

This project has some issues though. I want to build on Rhumbas Mesh, but the Thames and all the London City GSL are based on FS2K2/4 locations. I either redo the thames so it lies in the mesh properly or some fudging will be needed as at some point I want to stop.

Robert John
December 4th, 2010, 13:53
Just found out the model pop up so I will test it out as a MB object and then convert to a ordinary scenery object. Yes It needs a cap. Always a challange LOL .

Jean Bomber
December 4th, 2010, 14:48
GSL models tend to pop up as you enter the GOB the effect is very marked with large things.
Cliff textures can be applied to mesh. but must be made to fit the mesh very precisly.

But you cannot have the white cliffs of Dover without the Cap Gris Nes over the water.

My first leg in ground2k has been from Hastings to the Ilse of dogs. But I want to go back over it as I am not happy with the beaches. There is a lot of pebbles around kent but some sand also, I want to get the mix right. When I am happy with Kent I will do LeHarve to Dunkirk or there abouts.

This project has some issues though. I want to build on Rhumbas Mesh, but the Thames and all the London City GSL are based on FS2K2/4 locations. I either redo the thames so it lies in the mesh properly or some fudging will be needed as at some point I want to stop. I agree ...
I'm not sure that a Cliff object would be the best to do it,we have the mesh that do it without big impact on fps and to get the white of the cliff a vtp1 line could do it with a correct placement and width and also a new channel beach texture vtp1 line.
Baleares have already some cliffs with vtp1 line and Lampedusa has their own where I test some diverse textures....not sure of them...
that there are all around the cliffs and the Dover habor is the main issue ,exactly that you say Simon ,that made me afraid to go away with the over side of the chanel ,a project named France_Manche I'd begun and leave 2 years ago,I've drawed some roads and coast lines on the french side based on Mesh ,the Cotentin and Normandy are advanced ,the coast until the Belgium...but in the state not compatible with the Sander scenery.Dealing with excludes that could be possible ....If you want I could send to you the G2k source files if you need them ....
here a test on the dover cliffs done in the past the texture is a little snowy..:kilroy:.

JP

JP

alpha_1
December 4th, 2010, 16:42
Thanks very much KH for your input. I never tried but I wonder if a guy could've flown UNDER the white cliffs of Dover:jump:!

Monsieur Bomber!......where did you get that cool gunsight? Verrrry nice!

Cheers!

simonu
December 4th, 2010, 17:44
I think your cliffs look much better than mine Jean.
Mine are VTP polys drawn on rhumbas mesh, I am working without Sanders files, though I appreciate the work he has done, they are based on FS2K4 placement and I don't like the way they look,they are drawn ontop of the tree cover; I don't think roads would be nearly so visible.

Most certainly I would like to share your Manche project, want to trade?.

simonu
December 4th, 2010, 18:24
I have a suggestion for you Robert
Dover Castle needs to be modelled or maybe a mission builder kit to construct english castles, you know; keep, towers, walls etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Castle
Also
Not much to see of it today, Dover Citadel was a large 18th centry fort a top the western heights. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Western_Heights

Seagull V
December 4th, 2010, 21:36
simonu, nice choice for a Reconn aircraft. Sorry not much help on this sort of scenery but is very interesting to see how things are done/can be done.

Jean Bomber
December 5th, 2010, 03:04
I think your cliffs look much better than mine Jean.
Mine are VTP polys drawn on rhumbas mesh, I am working without Sanders files, though I appreciate the work he has done, they are based on FS2K4 placement and I don't like the way they look,they are drawn ontop of the tree cover; I don't think roads would be nearly so visible.

Most certainly I would like to share your Manche project, want to trade?.

Mine Dover cliffs today are wreck ,I leave them since in this state... but the other french side is stayed as a correct WIP....yours are still Ok they just need a good white rock texture ,why not to do it from a real photo to get the real stray and color of the cliff ,anyway the idea is the same ,I've used the GaryB lod9 and I desactive the Euro scenery to do that work.

here a link ,to feel the mood,about a movie that show some views of the Dover harbor and the cliffs and perhaps also give the idea to do a "grosse Bertha" gun object on the railways...
http://wwii.ca/view-footage/48/churchills-island/

JP

CrisGer
December 5th, 2010, 11:43
So to get Dover Cliffs now, until some of these new projects are done...we use Rami's package for BOB? thanks for the work on this, those cliffs are a huge landmark and aspect of the channel.

thanks for the continuing work. :salute:

I am going to try my hand at making some of the harbours of the English coast...so i better try to find out who is doing what so far and plans to..... i hope to get decent layouts of them all, the major ports, plus docks, warehouses, port buildings, town buildings and ships in the harbours ....up to and including Scapa. Then i may work my way down the coast on the contiental side..this way we can get some decent naval related campaigns set up and use some of the great work going on.