PDA

View Full Version : PT6 Sounds

PeteHam
November 30th, 2010, 00:29
Can any one recommend a good PT6 turboprop sound for single engine aircraft, please.

I have the feelThere Caravan & Flight1 PC-12 plus a few other turboprop singles, but I'm not overly happy with these sounds.

Comparing these with , say the Aeroworx Super King Air B200, the single turboprop sound packs don't come close to the same quality.

I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks guys.

Pete.

Wild Bill Kelso
November 30th, 2010, 01:04
Hi, Pete!

I'd highly recommend these (all my Twin Otters are fitted with it):

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Sounds (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fs2004snds) DeHavilland DHC6 Twin Otter " The Real Deal " http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=83660) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=83660)
File Description:
This soundpack is done by requests from "the Carribean" and Kevin Walters. Here it is my friends, I hope you like it and all the others as well. This is tested with the Premier Aircraft Design DeHavilland DHC6-300 Twin Otter; what a great plane. The STOL on this aircraft is really good. Enjoy this one.

Filename:dehavilland_dhc6_twin_otter_the_real_deal .zipLicense:FreewareAdded:1st April 2006Downloads:7659Author:Christoffer PetersenSize:40403kb

And here's the tweak for the sound.cfg to turn it into single:

[SOUND_ENGINE]
number_of_engines=1
ENG1_COMBUSTION=COMBUSTION.1.00
ENG1_STARTER=starterA
ENG1_COMBUSTION_START=combstartA
ENG1_SHUTDOWN=shutdownA
ENG1_JET_WHINE=JET_WHINE.1.00
ENG1_PROP=PROP.1.00

Cheers,
Markus.

AndyG43
November 30th, 2010, 03:03
I seem to recall AFG having a rather nice soundset for their own PC-12 (which I prefer to the Flight1 version btw), might be worth checking that out.

Sunny9850
November 30th, 2010, 13:37
Since you own the AW KA200 you can always alias to that sound file for the PC-12 and Caravan. The twin file should work just fine for a single....it's the other way around where you usually have to get creative :ernae:

Stefan

AndyG43
November 30th, 2010, 13:53
Well, strictly speaking, the Seastar IS a twin - but I guess with the engine layout it has a single engine config would be most effective, unless a passing sound guru can help out! :wavey:

Sunny9850
November 30th, 2010, 14:35
I know :D But Pete asked for a PT-6 single ;)

Speaking of the Seastar though:
I am actually going to combine the AW KA200 and the FSD Piaggio Avanti sounds for my personal use since the #2 engine on the Dornier is likely to have a similar sound due to the exhaust passing through the turning prop.
If you have ever heard an Avanti up close you know what I mean. It sounds nothing like a normal PT-6
:ernae:
Stefan

PeteHam
November 30th, 2010, 18:59
Thanks for the feed back guys :ernae:

It seems as if the link to the download AFG has gone u/s, but I'll try the Twin Otter sounds modified to single status ..... then I'll try it with the King Air sounds.

Pete.

PeteHam
November 30th, 2010, 21:20
For me the winning combination is the "Real Deal" Twin Otter sound with the single engine mod that Markus suggested. :jump: :jump: :jump:

What a difference. :applause:

Thanks again to all who helped. :ernae:

Pete.

Brian_Gladden
December 1st, 2010, 03:44
Just so you know, PT-6's are wildly different sounding depending on the plane that are mounted in. The biggest factor is the prop.

Back when I was a ramp rat (Line Service Tech) at BTV, we had plenty of PT-6 powered birds about (Particularly with Pratt and Whitney's service center next door)

Anyway, A Turbine Beaver vs. a Caravan, while both three blade props, sound nothing alike even though they are both a single engine install. The Caravan is much quieter, mostly due to the single exhaust.

Same can be said for a PC-12. Sounds nothing like a Caravan. More like a quiet King Air.

Thee's a difference in sound between a Beech C-99 or King Air 100 (3 blade) and the average standard type King Air (4 blade)

Twotters have their own unique sound as well.

And the Piaggio? That five blade prop really screams!

And when it comes to screams, the Garret powered birds are a class by themselves. Commander 690's and Cessna 441's have a high pitched whistle that hides the prop noise (the 441 is a little quieter than the 690)

But if you want noise? pick an MU-2. You can hear one on approach a mile out at a busy airport (Kinda like the Piaggio) and while taxing, well... it sounds like a banshee from hell.

I used to be able to tell the difference (particularly with hearing protection on) between a Citation II/Ultra/Bravo and an Encore. Citation Excels sound unique (With hearing protection on) as there is a low thrumming sound that the high frequencies hide without the muffs on.

PeteHam
December 1st, 2010, 08:45
Thanks Brian.

That's a good insight into engine/prop/exhaust sounds.

I am aware of the subtle sound differences between aircraft depending on this combination.

But the computer sound card/speakers/headset is another factor as well.

Bottom line is, what's music to my ears maybe a screaming mess to others :icon_lol:

Thanks again.

Pete.