PDA

View Full Version : External FPS Limiter

Rezabrya
November 27th, 2010, 20:07
Anybody know where I can download this tool? I can't find it anywhere.

hschuit
November 27th, 2010, 22:55
Anybody know where I can download this tool? I can't find it anywhere.

Google for FPS_limiter.

http://www.filestube.com/b83b26c8994e6cc203ea/details.html

Bjoern
November 28th, 2010, 09:24
Started using one not too long ago and I'm impressed. At busy places like KORD, the external limiter gives me 50% better FPS than FSX's internal one!

Rezabrya
November 28th, 2010, 09:36
Ya I just used Jesus' tweak site that tweaks your fsx.cfg. So far, my performance hasn't increased much but my stability is up a ton. No more stuttering and stuff.

warchild
November 28th, 2010, 10:09
U tried downlading the file, but rapid share was doung their usual extortion thing and telling me i had a modified ip which they knew was an error, but could be fixed if i spent money on them, or wait till hell freezes over to get the download.. i started looking for alternative download sites, and came across this http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html . Check HEB Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?heb/) and Hy Vee Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?hyvee/). it's a hyper fast screen capture software, and may be the best find i've found in a long time.. I'll put it in anther post. But for those like myself who do not have either the money to subscribe to rapid share and who's principals are too high to give into extortion, i'll keep looking for FPS_Limiter elsewhere..
Pam

Rezabrya
November 28th, 2010, 10:17
Here you go Warchild. RS did the same thing for me so I used this alternate site instead.

http://nowdownloadall.com/v2/your-file.asp?PID=a72648e4-82b0-472f-87a5-5e520a4d8a62&jstyle=2&ts=11/28/2010%202:17:16%20PM&q=FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar&cr=1

guzler
November 28th, 2010, 10:20
I've downloaded this, but there are no instructions as what to do with it. Where do I put it and what do I do with it ?

Cheers

hschuit
November 28th, 2010, 10:24
I've downloaded this, but there are no instructions as what to do with it. Where do I put it and what do I do with it ?
Cheers

This comes from Nick Needham (SimForums.com):
Unrar/unzip

Be aware that where you place the folder must remain or it will break its use and you will need to reconfigure the bat file

USE:

Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and click SEARCH EXECUTABLE

browse for and select FSX.exe

set frame limit to 30 under MAXIMUM FPS

Click CREATE BAT

Once complete close the interface and use the created file fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)

set frame lock to UNLIMTED in FSX and use the AG slider to tune

You MUST have JAVA installed to use that interface

http://www.java.com/en/ (http://www.java.com/en/)

Now here is the deal... this attacks the UNLIMITED FRAME LOCK problem related to Vsync introduced by Aces in SP1/SP2. Instead of tuning the FRAME LOCK you will tune the AUTOGEN slider for smooth results where you are flying. Leave the FSX frame lock slider at UNLIMITED at all times.

You can fine tune this app as well... I found 30 was the sweet spot for all occasions. I would suggest no less than 24 and no more than 30 but start with 30.

FSX must always be started by clicking the created command line BAT file.. NOT the FSX desktop icon. You can replace the FSX desktop icon with a shortcut to the BAT file and assign the FSX icon to it.

guzler
November 28th, 2010, 11:01
I don't know what I'm doing, but when I double click on it, a small black screen flashes up then dissapears, can't seem to get it do do what you recommend despite installing Java

Rezabrya
November 28th, 2010, 11:24
My guess is you are clicking on the .exe and not the jar file? You need to click on the jar file to start with.

heywooood
November 28th, 2010, 11:34
nope - same thing happened to me - turned out that I didn't have Java installed...problem was I did have it - why wouldn't I?

But I downloaded it anyway and tried the FPS limiter again and this time it worked - I could see the installation gui and its option where before I got the little black screen that tells you something got loaded onto your rig in DOS...

then - when I tried to USE the limiter - I saw no improvement...AND my AICarriers installation was gone along with Xaviers Nimitz!!!

there is no uninstall option for FPS limiter and I still cannot find its files anywhere on my rig AND I still cannot fix my AIcarriers program and get it to run at all!

My favorite thing to do in FSX is cats and traps and now - barring a complete reinstallation of FSX (which I will not do unless it is so FUBAR it wont load) I have no Aicarriers

warchild
November 28th, 2010, 11:40
Thanks heywood.. tried downloading from the link you gave and Panda blocked it due to the site running phishing software.. I recommend running yout virus scan and seeing what its put on your system..

heywooood
November 28th, 2010, 11:49
Oh I have tried everything short of taking it in to the shop or reinstalling FSX

so far no soap...its frustrating but since FSX still works and my AV and anti-malware programs indicate no other intrusions I am going to plug along like this for now - it wont be long before FSX requires its usual bi-annual burping anyhoo

LUCE1
November 28th, 2010, 11:59
FPS LIMITER 0.2 HERE IT IS:
http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkworks/goodies/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar
fast and free.
Recall that works just for DirectX 9

robcap
November 28th, 2010, 21:28
Hi,

Does anyone know what the D3D8, D3D9 or OGL options in the GUI do?
Seems to work OK though, I now only use D3D8.

Best, Rob

warchild
November 28th, 2010, 21:32
D3D# is another way of saying DX# so D3D8 is DX8 and D3D9 is DX9... OGL is another graphics handler called Open GL..

robcap
November 28th, 2010, 21:40
Ah, thanks Pam, this is a DUH moment. On the other hand, why not say DX9 when a programmer means DX9.
So I should go for D3D9 then.

R.

Z-IanMCD
November 29th, 2010, 00:32
D3D3 = Direct 3D ver3 (or DirectX)
D3D8 = Direct 3D ver8 (or DirectX)
OGL = Open GL

if I'm not mistaking. And there I was replying too late as usual! ;)

Roger
November 29th, 2010, 02:13
Oh I have tried everything short of taking it in to the shop or reinstalling FSX

so far no soap...its frustrating but since FSX still works and my AV and anti-malware programs indicate no other intrusions I am going to plug along like this for now - it wont be long before FSX requires its usual bi-annual burping anyhoo

This may help...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=31332&pagenumber=

heywooood
November 29th, 2010, 09:16
Roger - that did the trick!

I thank you very much for this recommendation - it was exactly the problem.

I just uninstalled my java files - they were corrupted in some way - reinstalled and now I am flying carrier quals again

I really appreciate your help on this one - :salute:

Roger
November 29th, 2010, 09:38
Roger - that did the trick!

I thank you very much for this recommendation - it was exactly the problem.

I just uninstalled my java files - they were corrupted in some way - reinstalled and now I am flying carrier quals again

I really appreciate your help on this one - :salute:

Glad it's sorted.:santahat:

falcon409
November 29th, 2010, 19:12
Anyone else have a problem with it shutting down the TrackIR?:salute:

jstanbro
December 2nd, 2010, 16:49
I downloaded and installed the FPS limiter using the instructions furnished by hschuit (Thanks!) on page 1 of this thread. When I click on the FSX limiter icon, the black screen comes up, and FSX starts, but the frame rate is not limited (?! - It's set at 30.) Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Jerry

stansdds
December 3rd, 2010, 01:50
In FSX the frame rate on screen will be displayed as "unlimited", but if you look at the actual fps you will see it hovering around 30 and spiking to 32, at least on my system. The external limiter does not seem to be the best at limiting fps exactly to the desired setting, but it does remove a serious bottleneck from FSX.

spatialpro
December 3rd, 2010, 03:12
On a similar note, I've tried using the java file to create a new BAT with FPS limited to just 20... but every time I start FSX it hovers around 30 FPS...

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone else tried limiting their FPS to something other than the default 30?

Many thanks

Andy

trisager
December 3rd, 2010, 03:15
If the frame rate displayed by Shift-Z fluctuates when using the external limiter, most likely you have set the FPS target higher than your computer can handle for that particular combination of display settings, scenery, plane, weather etc. Try adjusting and see what happens (F11 = fps decrease, F12 = fps increase).

One of the things I really like about the limiter is this ability to get the optimum smoothness by making adjustments on the fly using these two keys.

jstanbro
December 3rd, 2010, 06:54
If the frame rate displayed by Shift-Z fluctuates when using the external limiter, most likely you have set the FPS target higher than your computer can handle for that particular combination of display settings, scenery, plane, weather etc. Try adjusting and see what happens (F11 = fps decrease, F12 = fps increase).

One of the things I really like about the limiter is this ability to get the optimum smoothness by making adjustments on the fly using these two keys.

Thanks for your replys, guys. I don't think that the FPS target is set too high on my computer, since the shift-z frame rate is (usually) significantly higher than 30. I'll try the F11 and F12 adjustments, though. I have noticed that FSX seems to be running much more smoothly since I installed the FPS limiter, though, so I really am not too concerned that the frame rate isn't pegged on the target - just curious.

Thanks (I knew I could get helpful advice here!),
Jerry

spatialpro
December 3rd, 2010, 07:07
I'm getting 30 to ~32 FPS. Smoothness is improved, but I want to see if I can make it even smoother using 20 FPS.

MarkH
December 3rd, 2010, 08:40
F11 = fps decrease, F12 = fps increase

Ah, are those keystrokes correct? Maybe that's why I can't get the fps to show using F12! (Which is what the readme says).

I have just been trying the FPS limiter but I have more or less convinced myself that I am now seeing a big lag on my textures loading (a.k.a. 'blurries'). Is this a known side-effect, or do I need to try un-convincing myself?

trisager
December 3rd, 2010, 10:38
Ah, are those keystrokes correct? Maybe that's why I can't get the fps to show using F12! (Which is what the readme says).

Try this: Hit Shift-Z twice to display the FSX fps counter. Now press F11 repeatedly, if the limiter is working you should see the FSX fps counter decrease.

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 10:43
I must be doing something wrong as a setting of both 30 and 20 were terribly stuttery. I've gone back to 24 set in FSX and it's great in comparison.

guzler
December 3rd, 2010, 10:56
I just can't get this to work. I've extracted it into a folder, downloaded the 64bit Java and installed it, but all I get when I click on the jar icon is a quick flash of a black box and that's it. Any ideas ?

icycle
December 5th, 2010, 07:17
Ditto.

No joy here too. Java 64 is working fine on my system too.
Puzzled.

Bill

Stan V.
December 6th, 2010, 19:23
This comes from Nick Needham (SimForums.com):
Unrar/unzip

Be aware that where you place the folder must remain or it will break its use and you will need to reconfigure the bat file

USE:

Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and click SEARCH EXECUTABLE

browse for and select FSX.exe

Sorry, guys, I hate to be dense but I am having great problems following these insructions. Double clicking on FPS_Limiter_GUI_jar file as indicated above runs WinRar (evaluation version) on my machine, and I cannot find any option to SEARCH EXECUTABLE in the WinRar main screen or any of its submenues. Can someone put me back on the right path?

falcon409
December 6th, 2010, 19:54
I haven't seen this mentioned yet so I'll ask. . . .does this function affect, in any way, the NVidiaInspector settings? In other words, do they work hand in hand. . .or are they working against each other?:salute:

gradyhappyg
December 6th, 2010, 22:57
Sorry, guys, I hate to be dense but I am having great problems following these insructions. Double clicking on FPS_Limiter_GUI_jar file as indicated above runs WinRar (evaluation version) on my machine, and I cannot find any option to SEARCH EXECUTABLE in the WinRar main screen or any of its submenues. Can someone put me back on the right path?

What I had to do was right click on the FPS_Limiter_GUI file go to properties and change from opens with WinRAR to open with Java.
Hope that helps.
Now all I have to do is figure out why starting FSX from the batch file causes a CTD.

trisager
December 6th, 2010, 23:04
I haven't seen this mentioned yet so I'll ask. . . .does this function affect, in any way, the NVidiaInspector settings?

No, they don't intefere with each other.