PDA

View Full Version : Lost bearing

Terry
November 25th, 2010, 04:54
Has anyone ever had their aircraft loose it's direction? I will load an aircraft flight and find the heading (in the upper left of the screen, shift z) totaly different from the direction the aircraft is facing. It's also wrong in map view. The only way I can fix it is to replace the fs9.cfg file, something gets changed in there but I havent been able to spot it. I'd like to find out what causes this to happen?

aeromed202
November 25th, 2010, 05:30
That's a good question, never thought of it. I do know that the default FS9 cfg, like the aircraft one, doesn't have every entry possible showing in it. There are sections and lines that if added will be recognized by the game and implemented, like adding flap lift and drag lines the the aircraft cfg for example. So not finding anything doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing available to change the compass reading.

Having said all that someone needs to chime in with a simple check box fix :icon_lol:

Milton Shupe
November 25th, 2010, 05:44
Are you loading a new flight as opposed to a Previous Flight?

Have you adjusted the Magnetic Heading on the compass to adjust for magnetic variation?

Try setting the compass Heading adjust to what is shown on the shift+Z display.

Terry
November 25th, 2010, 06:27
Are you loading a new flight as opposed to a Previous Flight?

Have you adjusted the Magnetic Heading on the compass to adjust for magnetic variation?

Try setting the compass Heading adjust to what is shown on the shift+Z display.

It doesn't seem to matter if its new or saved. When the fs9.cfg is screwed up both new and saved flights are wrong. After I replace the fs9.cfg both will be correct. It does not happen all the time, currently it is correct. When it screws up it's not by a small amount such as the magnetic deviation, it can be up to 180 deg in either direction. I have tried resetting the compass heading to match shift Z, but this has no effect.

I suspect it's an interaction between fs and a developer tool such as exclude builder, AFCAD221, IS2, etc.

It's not a big deal as it's correctable by replacing fs9.cfg, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem and knew how to prevent it.

Willy
November 25th, 2010, 07:33
Just to state the obvious and get it out of the way, but have you tried hitting "shift d"? I hate to admit how many times that's tripped me up.

Terry
November 25th, 2010, 08:29
Just to state the obvious and get it out of the way, but have you tried hitting "shift d"? I hate to admit how many times that's tripped me up.

That's the first thing I did. But it goes a lot farther out than magnetic deviation.

I just got an idea:pop4: I'll blame it on Vista and write it off as one of dozens of normal screwups.

Motormouse
November 25th, 2010, 09:58
Hold the fire department there...its' a corrupt AFCAD that causes this;
I've foud several in the past, sometimes they affect the whole (sim) world, sometimes just country or region you're
currently in.

Easy (or awkward if you have many 'areas')way is to disable (not remove)
all the scenery in library (uncheck the boxes!) exept the one named 'world'
then start adding them back; one,two or three at a time and see-ing when
the fault reappears.

Its a lot of restarts of fs9 but you get there in the end.

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

Terry
November 25th, 2010, 10:30
Hold the fire department there...its' a corrupt AFCAD that causes this;
I've foud several in the past, sometimes they affect the whole (sim) world, sometimes just country or region you're
currently in.

Easy (or awkward if you have many 'areas')way is to disable (not remove)
all the scenery in library (uncheck the boxes!) exept the one named 'world'
then start adding them back; one,two or three at a time and see-ing when
the fault reappears.

Its a lot of restarts of fs9 but you get there in the end.

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

Interesting. I take it when AFCAD fault finder says no faults found there may still be a fault. AFCAD shows the compass heading at the bottom if the aircraft is linked. Perhaps a bad file won't show the correct heading if you point the aircraft North. I'll check a few first in the area Iv'e been working in.

Thanks

Tom Clayton
November 25th, 2010, 12:33
The afcad fault finder will find things like isolated taxiway nodes or parking spots not connected t the rest of the system, but I don't think it has any idea whether the mag-dev is anywhere close or not.

Terry
November 25th, 2010, 13:20
AFCAD is definitely the culprit. Sim bearing was right on the money, made some AFCAD changes, saved, restarted FS and the bearing was messed up again. But, it doesn't do it every time. At least I know what program is causing the problem and know how to fix it, just don't know why it happens.

Thanks Pete :salute:

Wild Bill Kelso
November 26th, 2010, 05:24
Had the same prob some years ago:
It turned out to be a specific FS2002 AFD file making the magnetic field gone nuts...

Any old (FS2002) scenery installed recently? Better get rid of it...

Cheers,
Markus.

Terry
November 26th, 2010, 06:16
Had the same prob some years ago:
It turned out to be a specific FS2002 AFD file making the magnetic field gone nuts...

Any old (FS2002) scenery installed recently? Better get rid of it...

Cheers,
Markus.

No, it's a fresh FSGW3 install, nothing in it but 2004 scenery. I think it's related to locking and unlocking the aircraft, rotating AFCAD, rotating the aircraft, and saving the AFCAD file. If you do things in the wrong order it screws up. I still haven't figured out what the wrong order is.

Thanks Markus,
Terry

Sunny9850
November 26th, 2010, 10:48
I had a similar problem a while back. But I am not sure if it is based on the same issue.

I run 3 PC's for my FS sessions.
#1 is purely the FS PC ....no other programs running at the same time.
#2 runs FSGarmin and FSFlightmax as well as ASA or ASV6 via WideFS
#3 is used to look at charts (Skyvector) or stored or online approach charts, browse the web during longer flights.

When upgrading FSUIPC on the #1 PC I did not upgrade it on the #2 or #3 PCs. And for some time no ill effects where noted. At some point however as soon as I started the FSGarmin app on #2 the #1 PC was showing the same weird symptoms you describe.

Of course I did all kinds of other stuff before updating FSUIPC across the network because there sometimes was a lag between starting things on the #2 PC and the problem appearing on #1. So I did not see the connection.

Cheers
Stefan