PDA

View Full Version : Less than 90 days

srgalahad
November 23rd, 2010, 10:43
On the assumption 1) that there will be a RTW Race for 2011 and 2) that ,in the event of 1), the Race Committee chooses the Saturday following Valentine's Day for the start, my impoverished mathematical skills show that there are 89 days left...

I'm just sayin'...

jkcook28
November 23rd, 2010, 12:43
I had not even thought about it yet. Wonder if I'll have enough enthusiasm to play this year....

You still on the "committee" Rob?

Dangerousdave26
November 23rd, 2010, 14:00
You still on the "committee" Rob?

Yes with a handful of Brain Cells Tied behind his back.

Moses03
November 23rd, 2010, 14:41
Usually don't think too much about it until after the first of the year. Hope to participate but might be a diminished role with three kids now keeping me busy. See how it goes as we get closer to Feb.

Willy
November 23rd, 2010, 14:51
I've thought about but haven't made up my mind yet.

PRB
November 24th, 2010, 05:30
I plan to be there. Been slowly installing all the standard race machinces into FS9 since "The Great Computer Crash" of 2010. Still a couple to go. Might do some FSX legs this time, probably offline MP, online teamspeak. There are a few good racers now out there for FSX. In general, I like FS9 for RTW Ops, due to better frame rates, easier for multi-player, and less trees around airports.

Kowalski65
November 24th, 2010, 06:40
I plan to be there(other racers look up & groan :jump:)
I might just install FS9 on a spare laptop & use that with minimal planes, as my FSX install is getting horribly bloated,and the PC it runs on is getting a bit iffy!

smilo
November 24th, 2010, 11:32
I plan on participating and am looking into time off from work.
another driver is looking at the same time frame,
so we shall see how it plays out.

I plan to be there(other racers look up & groan :jump:)
I might just install FS9 on a spare laptop & use that with minimal planes, as my FSX install is getting horribly bloated,and the PC it runs on is getting a bit iffy!
what are you talking about?
as I recall, you and I had a very nice flight last go round.

Willy
November 24th, 2010, 12:15
I've been thinking a fresh install of FS9 and just add my racers to it. Call it FS-RTW or something.

smilo
November 24th, 2010, 13:40
sounds like a good plan.
I did, pretty much, the same thing last year,
but that one is now full of stuff,
so, it would probably be best to just start over fresh.

what do you think about adding mesh, too?

I sure hope the SOH F7F qualifies.

PRB
November 24th, 2010, 13:44
sounds like a good plan.
I did, pretty much, the same thing last year,
but that one is now full of stuff,
so, it would probably be best to just start over fresh.

what do you think about adding mesh, too?

I sure hope the SOH F7F qualifies.

I have FSGlobal2008 installed for mesh, but that's it. It covers the whole world. I've heard some say that they fly the RTW race with only default mesh, which makes many airports easier to land in because those many of those meshes place many airports inside deep ditches. This does make sense, and if I was smarter I'd probably do the same! But I like my mesh, so it's staying!

The "soon" (oops) to be released F7F will be legal. Just hope it comes out in time...

Dangerousdave26
November 24th, 2010, 14:51
The "soon" (oops) to be released F7F will be legal. Just hope it comes out in time...

Its been publicly released as a beta for some time now. The FM is a finished product. The only thing that remains is to have a VC built and possibly some texture mapping.

To me its already legal to use. One only need add a relatively good 2D Panel.

PRB
November 24th, 2010, 16:28
Its been publicly released as a beta for some time now. The FM is a finished product. The only thing that remains is to have a VC built and possibly some texture mapping.

To me its already legal to use. One only need add a relatively good 2D Panel.

In reading the threads on this, I got the impression there was a "basic" VC built, upon which we amateur panel slicers & dicers could add our own gauges. Is this not the case, and there is no VC model built yet?

jkcook28
November 24th, 2010, 17:24
Paul, that's correct. Milton dropped in a basic VC (with gauges or do your own) until the "modeler" gets around to finishing; I believe after P-61 is completed. (also a potential racer, if rules favor such a thing):mixedsmi:

Dangerousdave26
November 24th, 2010, 18:00
I must correct myself. Looking at the threads Tom is still tinkering with the FM. It of course could not be legal until the FM is finalized.

As for a VC...

We don't need no stinking VC's. LOL

The P-61 for FSX is not and will not be ready for the race. They have far too many things to do.

PRB
November 25th, 2010, 10:13
Well, as soon as the FM is ready, I've got my panel cobbling done (more or less) :icon_lol:

smilo
November 25th, 2010, 11:08
I rarely use VC, so I can wait for that.
I need to make some minor adjustments,
but I have my 2D from last year.
I used it with my Alpha F7F
and now use it in my SOH Cat.
textures? for now, I'm more than happy
with my basic gray unit.

Milton Shupe
November 28th, 2010, 04:28
PRB, that looks beautifully prepared :jump:

smilo
November 30th, 2010, 16:45
On the assumption 1) that there will be a RTW Race for 2011 and 2) that ,in the event of 1), the Race Committee chooses the Saturday following Valentine's Day for the start, my impoverished mathematical skills show that there are 89 days left...

I'm just sayin'...
my apologies, but when will this be Official?
if I ask for time off work,
it's best to give plenty of notice.
the week of the 21st is currently open,
but I don't know how long that will last.

Willy
November 30th, 2010, 18:19
It always starts the Saturday following Valentines.

Haitun
December 5th, 2010, 18:24
Count me In. I'll try to find as much spare time, as I can.

srgalahad
December 29th, 2010, 16:38
For those who may be new to the Round The World Race in general or may be contemplating getting more involved, I have made a list of some past threads that, while not 'mandatory reading', should give a lot more background info to study.

As well, the things posted in sticky threads will be the most up-to-date.

Feel free to ask questions and don't worry about seeming dim.. we were all new once.

Dr. House meets Smokey the Bear (a practice of flying skills)-
This was a practice exercise set up to challenge pilots in tight quarters and freestyle flying. Thread contains the rules, the attempts and the commentaries
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1281

RTW-102 -- Basic RTW Flying
A compilation of some of the basics gleaned from 'old hands' regarding the skills that are beneficial for RTWR pilots
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3411

1st 2009 Practice
For comparison, and fun, the first practice from 2009
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=4539

Some questions about rtw race
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=7460

THE 2009 RACE... leg-by-leg, post-by-post
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=11541

A Kick-Off Event (2009)
- a sample of the pre-race race - in past years there has been a theme event just prior to the official Race Start
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=11556