PDA

View Full Version : Compatability of Environment mods?

khaehl
November 23rd, 2010, 05:15
I don't plan on upgrading to FSX (PC won't run it well anyhow), so I recently decided to spend a little cash on making the world prettier in FS9. I bought REX 2004 as well as Shockwave 3D lights. It's like having a new sim!

Now I'm wondering what else I should consider to round out the experience. The areas of weakness appear to be the water effects (love the colors, hate the pulsing) in REX, as well as the city lights at night.

Which (if any) of these packages would be compatible with REX and Shockwave? I don't want them to overwrite the textures that I've already paid for.

Zinertek Night Environment
Zinertek Ultimate Water
Ground Environment Pro

Put another way, is there an addon that changes the water effect but keeps the textures that REX installs?

Thanks,

Kevin

awj112
November 23rd, 2010, 09:13
I was using ground environment before switching to FScene 4X. I have night environment and it works. If you have REX, I probably wouldn't bother with Ultimate Water; REX already covers water and probably better than Ultimate water. You should be fine with those add-ins.

Wing_Z
November 23rd, 2010, 10:03
Consensus elsewhere seems to be that the only thing to add to REX is Zinertek water...

Sunny9850
November 23rd, 2010, 10:45
If you install manually ( not always easily possible though ) you can put things together as best fits your personal needs. The water effects as I recall are based on the single file called something like ocean_heights.bmp in the main texture folder.

The textures are then applied over that "effect" so to speak so you can use the colors from one with the motion effect from another.

I usually make a copy of the entire texture folder before I add anything new, even payware. If I then like parts of one and not like other parts I can relatively easily mix and match.

Stefan

khaehl
November 24th, 2010, 03:51
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll hold on buying Ultimate Water until I've played with REX some more. Also, I see that REX is supposed to issue more new textures for FS9 (REX Overdrive), so it might be worth waiting.

For now I'm going to work on night ground textures.