PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, FS9 on Win7 HP 64bit...

JETninja
November 21st, 2010, 13:57
So, I saved my old Win7 32 install folder from the old PC, and installed it on the new PC I just built (Win 7 HP 64Bit, Asus P55, Intel i5-760 Quad Core, 8GB DDR3, Evga GTX-460 1MB, 2 1TB, 1 2TB and more HDs...Plays everything I've thrown at it the last couple days friggen awesome!) and then I re-installed all 4 discs into that folder like I've done several times before on the old system...and get an error saying on launch that my "system has run out of available memory. FS will now exit. You may not have enough free space on your HD. (LOL! 735GB free!) Try running disc cleanup etc..."

What the hell? Even tried Win XP mode, with Admin etc...same error.

Anyone know what gives?

My online racing Leagues are done on Monday, look forward to some FS'ing!

racartron
November 21st, 2010, 17:06
I have a similar Quad 4 system running under Windows 7 Ultimate/64bit and had no issues with the install. However, several far more experienced than I, suggested not installing it under the traditional (default) location but somewhere else to get around most issues. Mine is installed under c:\\FS9 home. And I run it as Admin.

That's about the only thing I can suggest since when a system goes in clean ya don't learn much about the process.

Willy
November 21st, 2010, 18:18
Jet! No answer to your question, but glad to see you're still around! :ernae:

PRB
November 21st, 2010, 18:48
Not sure I'm following what you did here... Are you saying you saved the “Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9” folder from your 32 bit system, copied that onto your new 64 bit system, then installed FS9 onto this folder using the install CDs? Does this preserve your addon planes, scenery, etc. without having to reinstall them into the new installation? I've never heard of doing this, but if it works I'll have to remember it. I have FS9 and FSX installed on my Win7 64 bit system and it's running fine. But I didn't go though the procedure you described. I just installed it from scratch.

Dangerousdave26
November 21st, 2010, 19:04
What path is your install to FS9?

What version of W7 64bit do you have? Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate

Was your W7 32bit install a 9.0 or 9.1?

Did you install the 9.1 patch after the full install?

It sounds to me like FS is trying to create a file the first time it is run and you do not have the proper permissions to create the file. This could be the FS9.cfg file but more likely it is a file in the root fs9 folder.

When I installed FS9 on my W7 64bit system I first installed FS9 to c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9. Then I updated it to 9.1.

I copied my install of FS9 from my XP system and placed it on my W7 64bit system C:\Flightsim\FS9

Both installs work fine. In fact FS9 is a freaking blow torch on frame rates.

What you might try and do is give your self Full permissions on your FS9 folder.

*** This option may only exists in W7 Professional and Ultimate ****

OPPS I have to switch computers to give you screen shots.

Hold for more info

JETninja
November 21st, 2010, 19:47
OK, I realize most of you cept Willy don't know me, but I'm a very old timer here and other places, have known Willy, Moparmike, Tek, Canelo and others since around '99 and our old Trog fighter days! :D

Win 7 HP means Home Premium. My old PC (and I mean OLD!) Went from XP Pro, to Win 7 RC, to Win 7 HP 32 it. I never install in the default because I don't like my games to live with my regular programs, in fact before this new system (Huge HD's) they sat in their own game partition (for ease of defrag)

I always just saved the entire FS9 Folder (with all of its mods, except the add on scenery lives in its own folder outside FS) and it has always been patched to 9.1. It is huge with tons of scenery, landclass, aircraft, AI (most every PAI add on)

On this new PC I have a C/Games/Flying/FSCOF folder. (the original from my last PC) I then re-installed all 4 discs into it. Then I tried to installed the 9.1 upgrade but it says it has already been installed. When I start it, I get that error above about memory.

I've the same install method many times with many games with mods (rFactor for my leagues especially) with no issues on this new Win 7 HP 64bit system I built.

This one is a head scratcher for sure! I really want to see it on this system with everything on full, it should be spectacular!

Good question on permissions, I did use the Take Ownership reg hack, but maybe I need to look deeper into them.

Dangerousdave26
November 21st, 2010, 19:52
Very quickly to answer PRB's Question Yes and No.

All of my Payware made the transition to the new PC with no issues but I don't own any of the really complicated payware that needs online activation.

Now back to the other question.

To give your log on ID full control over specific folders and files.

Navigate to the FS9 folder and right click and choose properties.

go to the security tab and click the edit button

Up pops another window

Click Add to locate your user name

Up pops another window

Enter your user name that you use to log onto the PC and click check names

If you entered the user name correctly it should find it and append the computer name before it.

click ok

Your name should be added to the list

Click the box beside Full Control

click Apply

Click OK

It should apply the settings to all folders and files in the FS9 folder.

Again if you do not see the security tab that may mean it is not in your version of W7. It may only be available to Professional and Ultimate users.

Dangerousdave26
November 21st, 2010, 20:07
On this new PC I have a C/Games/Flying/FSCOF folder. (the original from my last PC) I then re-installed all 4 discs into it. Then I tried to installed the 9.1 upgrade but it says it has already been installed. When I start it, I get that error above about memory.

That is where I think you are making a mistake. I think you are doing it backwards. You are coping a 9.1 install to the C drive they you are installing 9.0 over it. That could lead to a problem. The 9.1 patch is telling you it is already installed because it sees a 9.1 file in the folder. It might be the FS9.exe file it might not be.

I would...

Uninstall FS9.

Delete the C/Games/Flying/FSCOF folder.

Delete the FS9 folder in c:\user\{your user name}\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FS9

Delete any registry keys related to FS9 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0]

Now do a clean install.

Install FS9 C/Games/Flying/FSCOF

Patch to 9.1

Now here is your choice. You have lots of room on your drive and a clean default FS9 install. I would keep it that way. Its nice to have one around.

Rename the folder you just installed to C/Games/Flying/FSCOF_default

Copy your old install to the C Drive as C/Games/Flying/FSCOF

All registry values will point to the proper folder and you have your install placed and it should work. It did for me.

JETninja
November 21st, 2010, 20:47
That is where I think you are making a mistake. I think you are doing it backwards. You are coping a 9.1 install to the C drive they you are installing 9.0 over it. That could lead to a problem. The 9.1 patch is telling you it is already installed because it sees a 9.1 file in the folder. It might be the FS9.exe file it might not be.

I would...

Uninstall FS9.

Delete the C/Games/Flying/FSCOF folder.

Delete the FS9 folder in c:\user\{your user name}\appdata\roaming\microsoft\FS9

Delete any registry keys related to FS9 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0]

Now do a clean install.

Install FS9 C/Games/Flying/FSCOF

Patch to 9.1

Now here is your choice. You have lots of room on your drive and a clean default FS9 install. I would keep it that way. Its nice to have one around.

Rename the folder you just installed to C/Games/Flying/FSCOF_default

Copy your old install to the C Drive as C/Games/Flying/FSCOF

All registry values will point to the proper folder and you have your install placed and it should work. It did for me.

Just did all the permissions after my post, no help. So looks like I'll have to try it this way. Weird, never an issue before, even from XP to Win 7 RC. (not an upgrade since you cant) I have always just copied the old install to the new place, then re-installed the main program and its always worked before.

Thanks! Report back later in the week....