PDA

View Full Version : engine off as default

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 13:21
hi guys, I know it's asilly question but....after choosing a free flight I start the gamme then shut the engine off, end the flight and save to a certain name.
then I go to "select a flight" choose the saved flight, check the box as per fedault, go to free flight and choose that flight, start it and.... bang the motor is in! what am I doing wrong? any help much appreciated! cheers, gianluca

Firebar
November 25th, 2008, 13:41
I think you need to have your default flight (the one FS automatically sets up) have engines off, this engines off state then happens to other flights. Works for me, give it a try.

Willy
November 25th, 2008, 13:47
You can save a flight as your default flight. I saved my default flight is currently in the Milton's Beech D18, cold cockpit (engine off) and at a parking spot at the local airport. I do change the aircraft around at times, but it's always cold cockpit at the local airport.

Dangerousdave26
November 25th, 2008, 13:48
Load your favorite plane any will do.

Choose your home airport

Shut off the engine

Save the flight and check the box that says "save as default flight"

Now your default flight will have the engine off. Any plane you change to will have the same.

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 14:37
Load your favorite plane any will do.

Choose your home airport

Shut off the engine

Save the flight and check the box that says "save as default flight"

Now your default flight will have the engine off. Any plane you change to will have the same.

hi dave, that is exactly what I do but still whwn I select that flight again, again the engine is running!
errata corridge: I had it! thks a lot guys!

Tom Clayton
November 25th, 2008, 14:42
If your funning your FS on an XP machine, check the FS9.cfg to make sure it's not set as "read only." (Let us know if you need help finding it - it's hidden.) If you're running on a Vista machine, I can't help - I don't run that OS.

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 15:08
I'm afraid you are right tom, I was too early to be happy, whatever I do the engine is still running (I had hit the "P" key..........so now everytime I choose a flight the engine is not running only because the game it's paused! of course as I hit P again the engine runs as ever...) I had this same FS installed one year ago (then uninstalled) and I found so easy to have this bloody engine off as per default! maybe I'm too old for that...
Found fs9.cfg in application data but not able to find any sentence like that "read only"

Tom Clayton
November 25th, 2008, 15:22
Open My Computer, then in the menu bar, click Tools > Foler Options > View tab. Click the Show hidden files and folders button. If you're running XP and your FS9 was installed to the default location, browse to here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

Right-click the fs9.cfg and click Properties, and make sure the file is not marked Read Only. Hope this helps!:wavey:

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 15:32
now everytime I choose my "supposed" default flight as well as all other saved flights the game starts paused so I have to hit P to let the game rus (and the engine also....)

Tom Clayton
November 25th, 2008, 15:37
That's because the "Pause" flag is set to "true" in your flight. Start your default flight one more time, unpause, and re-save. That should get you right.

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 15:42
Open My Computer, then in the menu bar, click Tools > Foler Options > View tab. Click the Show hidden files and folders button. If you're running XP and your FS9 was installed to the default location, browse to here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

Right-click the fs9.cfg and click Properties, and make sure the file is not marked Read Only. Hope this helps!:wavey:
hi Tom did that, no my fs9.cfg is not marked as "read only" so I don't know what to think.... simply my game does not takes that command, is that possible?

gianlucabagatti
November 25th, 2008, 16:01
That's because the "Pause" flag is set to "true" in your flight. Start your default flight one more time, unpause, and re-save. That should get you right.

I'm getting crazy, quite ready to throw it all away.... and this after 3 years of sim flight!
Ok, Tom I started my flight one more time, unpaused it shut off engine, exit the game, saved it with a name, restarted and the flight is still paused; unpausing the game let the engine start....

Ok. this time I had it for true! but I had to save the flight when "in-flight"!!!!!!!and name it to have that as default (once checked the box. ok maybe I'm too old for the game but.....

Tom Clayton
November 26th, 2008, 22:08
If I could get my hands on your rig, I could probably figure it out. But unless I have an epiphany, I'm out of ideas.

DaveQ
November 28th, 2008, 05:08
Probably idiotic but have you tried Ctl+C in game? All I do is park up, engine shut-down then Ctl+C to exit. I can then do a start-up from the apron next time I boot up the sim. If I change location and runway the default is still engine off.

DaveQ

WarHorse47
November 28th, 2008, 05:55
I'm not sure if this will help, but here is what I've done.

It seems that you already have a 'Default Flight' setup. Presumably, you have a selected aircraft parked at a specific airport and you've shut down everything on the aircraft. At this point you save the flight, and as you save it make sure it is set to your default flight.

Next, you need to exit the sim and look for the file on the flight you just saved. These files end in FLT. Mine are located at the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files.

YOu may want to make a backup copy of the file if you're nervious about editing. Open the FLT file you just created with Notepad and examine the scripting. Scroll down to this section:

[Systems.0]
BatterySwitch=False
AvionicsSwitch=True
StructuralDeiceSwitch=False
PropDeiceSwitch=False
Autobrakes=Off
StandbyVacuum=False
PropSync=False
FlightDirector=False

You can change these parameters between False to True (or between 0 to 1 in other sections) and save the file. As you can see by my example, my BatterySwitch is set to False. The aircraft will not start until the BatterSwitch is turned on, either by clicking a switch in the cockpit or by the generic Ctrl-E command.

Now, the way FS9 works is that when the program is started it reads the FS9.cfg file and loads the flight with this entry:

SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Current Flight 6

Hope this helps.

--WH

gianlucabagatti
November 28th, 2008, 08:59
hi warhorse and all you guys, it sounds a bit idiotic but all what I had was to hit the righ key at the right moment "before" to exit the game and goung back to the tool bar....once back there saving a flight does nothing in "saving" the desired conditions (engine off, airplanes in air or parked somewhere)
now that is understood it's easy as drinking a cup of water!