PDA

View Full Version : Calling Tarpsbird...ring...ring...ring

hey_moe
November 14th, 2010, 16:35
Got your message tonight on your pooter problem but was unable to call back...your phone stays busy...I told ya leave deem women alone on Sunday...lol.

TARPSBird
November 15th, 2010, 03:02
Mike, thanks for attempting to return my call. My son called me and we worked out the computer problem, although not necessarily using the best method. Saturday night I got a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) "Delayed Write Failed" error in Windows XP which made my computer go totally stupid. Couldn't do any troubleshooting or log off normally. When I hit the off button and powered the computer back up I got another BSOD error message, "The registry cannot load the hive (file)" and I was unable to access Windows in any manner. The computer would just loop through the Windows start-up BSOD over and over. We ended up using the XP CD to reinstall Windows. Once I got back online I found there are several ways to correct this fatal error using the Windows Repair Console or accessing the Windows files through another OS. The fixes are more detailed than I can relate here, but a quick search will give you the details and it's a lot easier than the hassle of reinstalling Windows with the SP2 and SP3 updates and all the tedious security update crap. Delayed Write Failed is not always a Windows-killing error but the Registry one is and you SOH members might want to have the fix instructions on paper somewhere just in case.

hey_moe
November 15th, 2010, 09:00
No worries, glad ya got it up and running. I tried a couple of times this morning and da phone was still busy...lol...you must have a lot of grilfriennds...lol...Mike
Mike, thanks for attempting to return my call. My son called me and we worked out the computer problem, although not necessarily using the best method. Saturday night I got a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) "Delayed Write Failed" error in Windows XP which made my computer go totally stupid. Couldn't do any troubleshooting or log off normally. When I hit the off button and powered the computer back up I got another BSOD error message, "The registry cannot load the hive (file)" and I was unable to access Windows in any manner. The computer would just loop through the Windows start-up BSOD over and over. We ended up using the XP CD to reinstall Windows. Once I got back online I found there are several ways to correct this fatal error using the Windows Repair Console or accessing the Windows files through another OS. The fixes are more detailed than I can relate here, but a quick search will give you the details and it's a lot easier than the hassle of reinstalling Windows with the SP2 and SP3 updates and all the tedious security update crap. Delayed Write Failed is not always a Windows-killing error but the Registry one is and you SOH members might want to have the fix instructions on paper somewhere just in case.

TARPSBird
November 15th, 2010, 19:58
I had the phone off the hook in the AM so the wife and I could sleep in, we're both night owls. :) Had the same BSOD errors occur this afternoon when I first fired up the pooter, this time I didn't go the XP reinstall route but did some file copying via the Repair Console and I got back up and running pretty quick. Only problem is the repair files wipe out all your software settings so you still have to reinstall XP SP2 and SP3, motherboard drivers, vid card drivers, etc., a royal PITA. This is the fix I used off the internet, fifth reply on the page from "jenae":
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=3861

hey_moe
November 16th, 2010, 02:47
Jerry being since ya have already lost some files I would back up as much as I could and go ahead and do a complete format and clean out the whole system.

TARPSBird
November 16th, 2010, 17:21
Mike, I really didn't lose any files. My downloads, program files, documents, pics, etc. were all still on the HD and unharmed. It was having to get everything back up and running that was the hassle. I don't know what happened to IE7, it had been working fine but today I encountered just about every anomaly that people complain about on the geek forums. Finally gave up and installed Firefox. If I knew how to copy/move files to CD/DVD I would have saved my stuff and started over with a clean HD. I presently have no external drive for file storage.