PDA

View Full Version : AH Spitfires.....EUREKA!!

alpha_1
November 14th, 2010, 14:44
Hi all. When the AH Spits first became available as freeware, I fell in love with 'em. They've been called up in campaigns by various builders and I've never been able to get them to show up for the campaign.

I decided to do some tinkerin' and see once and for all what is what.

Lo and behold!!!!........no bluidy wonder! the .dp file for both won't allow them to:

ORIGINAL:

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=1
allegiance=1
max_group_size=8
min_speed=140
cruise_speed=445
max_speed=602
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=6500
max_alt=11280
entered_service=4/1/41
crew=1

BORROWED FROM THE YAS MKII:

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=1
allegiance=1
max_group_size=8
min_speed=110
cruise_speed=180
max_speed=340
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=6500
max_alt=31280
entered_service=4/6/40
crew=1

I made the alteration and VOILA! She shows up no problem!

Who's happy now?

Cheers!:jump:

Shessi
November 14th, 2010, 14:52
Yes, it's such a small thing (and so easily missed), the date/year it entered service, that makes the difference!!!

Funny how M$ were so picky about that and yet not about other things??

Cheers Shessi

alpha_1
November 14th, 2010, 14:58
Hi Shessi.....yes, who'da thunk it, eh? Just glad I finally took a look.

sc7500
November 14th, 2010, 17:40
I remember this being mentioned several years ago... One reason I "backdate" all my A/C by 10 years or so in the DP.

Of course, with WWI planes, 1902 is a good number...

SC
:kilroy:

Rami
November 14th, 2010, 18:00
Alpha_1,

Not to rain on your parade here, good buddy, but this might cause you some problems if you were to ever use those in MB,

min_speed=110
cruise_speed=180
max_speed=340

For whatever reason, Mission Builder and the sim interpret those numbers as kilometers per hour, not miles per hour or knots. So, the numbers would be translated as follows in MPH...

min_speed=68
cruise_speed=112
max_speed=211

That might make things a bit convoluted if you're trying to time things out. The AH Spitfires were a bit more realistic.

min_speed=140
cruise_speed=445
max_speed=602

Translated...

min_speed=87
cruise_speed=276.5
max_speed=374

PJMack
November 14th, 2010, 18:12
Hi Shessi.....yes, who'da thunk it, eh? Just glad I finally took a look.
Alpha,

Please post some pix.:jump:

alpha_1
November 14th, 2010, 18:54
Not to rain on your parade here, good buddy, but this might cause you some problems if you were to ever use those in MB,Don't think so, Rami. In the settings dialogues when the sim opens, you can set your units of measure to default, U.S., or metric. Mine are usually set to U.S. Also the numbers in the YAS MkII .dp are the stock default numbers that come with the plane. Before I could get the AH Spits to fly at all, the only one that would ever show up was the YAS MKII, so that's the one I'd always use.

You can't get a plane to fly in 1940 if it was built in 1941, surely?

I recall that at the time....at least 5 years ago, that I asked guys here through PM's and forums why the AH Spits wouldn't load, and never got an answer.....not one!

I just tried the AH Spit out in MB with the YAS .dp numbers......flew like an eagle!

Just what is it you'd like to see a picture of, PJ?

Rami
November 14th, 2010, 18:58
Don't think so, Rami. In the settings dialogues when the sim opens, you can set your units of measure to default, U.S., or metric. Mine are usually set to U.S. Also the numbers in the YAS MkII .dp are the stock default numbers that come with the plane. Before I could get the AH Spits to fly at all, the only one that would ever show up was the YAS MKII, so that's the one I'd always use.

Okey dokey. We'll see what happens, I suppose...:greenf:

bearcat241
November 14th, 2010, 19:32
...I recall that at the time....at least 5 years ago, that I asked guys here through PM's and forums why the AH Spits wouldn't load, and never got an answer.....not one!

Five years ago????... really Alpha?!?!:mixedsmi:... To regurgitate such a thing after all this time without the mention of all the times you've been assisted in other matters over the same period by the forum either directly or indirectly??? Remember, our connections here are ethereal and voluntary. We don't have a mandate here for curing one another's CFS2 ailments.

Its ok to need each other occasionally, but to use a chastising tone about not getting attention says a lot about you personally...

alpha_1
November 14th, 2010, 19:57
Its ok to need each other occasionally, but to use a chastising tone about not getting attention says a lot about you personally...That was a purdy good shot! In my own defence I hafta say that I've always thanked anybody and everybody for any help I've ever been given. I've tried to go out of my way to make new guys here feel welcome. I've even answered some threads by newbies when I didn't know the answers because I know what it feels like to be new at this and in particular, new on the forums.....it's a whole new world, and yer at the bottom, in some pretty daunting company, nay, awe-inspiring company.

When I first started coming around 5 years ago, I wasn't any different than that. I have a question, gimme an answer, and that's that. I've learned over the years to be patient and wait, usually someone here will volunteer an answer of some sort. Perhaps back then I didn't understand that. More like a newborn baby......me, me, me.

I've matured, BC, just like you and all the other guys here that offer such wonderful help. I'm able now to actually offer help occasionally, rather than take.

Perhaps you're right and my remark was in bad taste. If that's the case, if I've hurt anybody's feelings here, I sincerely apologize.

I now read every thread if I can every time I come on, because I know there are a lot of answers to questions I haven't even asked yet! Terrific, and I'm grateful for it all!

Thanks for the heads-up, BC:ernae:

simonu
November 15th, 2010, 00:44
Wait a minute let me get this straight.
What you are saying is

The DP figures are in metric, but if you set units to be displayed as "US" they are in Imperial
and all your planes go faster.

Oh dear, I better go back and revise the hentai sex game plug in.

PJMack
November 15th, 2010, 01:47
" awe-inspiring company."

Do you mean me?:jump:

alpha_1
November 15th, 2010, 05:34
Wait a minute let me get this straight.
What you are saying is

The DP figures are in metric, but if you set units to be displayed as "US" they are in Imperial
and all your planes go faster. Haven't got a clue what or why, in fact....just took a wild guess.....but what I DO know is that the YAS MKII numbers work fine.....and by using them on the AH airplane, it works too. That makes me happy. You might wonder why the YAS MKII flies at all with those numbers, but it does.

What I was looking for was the AH Spits, not a jet! Perhaps you could explain to me why the YAS plane flies with imperial numbers, I'd be curious to find out.

Cheers!

mariereid
November 15th, 2010, 06:40
Alpha, your really learning a lot that last couple of months, good for you! You are inspiring at least one wonderful, handsome, computer moron!:salute::ernae:

alpha_1
November 15th, 2010, 08:21
Yer a funny man!

Boy Ricko!.....Nobody said this would be a walk in da park!