PDA

View Full Version : Did the Last Space Shuttle launch get scrubbed?

beana51
November 12th, 2010, 10:58
Seems like a lot of reasons they are not lighting that candle....probley for good reason!...the most exciting,and dramatic in our life time, seems to be just fading away!...the dream of Space Travel!
To Boldly go where no man has gone before!....Seems now the Moon was our finial fronter!..I for one ,as many ,are now completely disillusened!!No Profiles in courage here dreaming of Space now....Its more like this now........

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.
Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera (http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/talktojazeera/2010/07/201071122234471970.html) that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/imgs/grey_loader.gif
(http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/05/nasa-chief-frontier-better-relations-muslims/#)assigned him. He said better interaction with the Muslim world would ultimately advance space travel.

Is this the new "Right Stuff"...what if any thing does this tell the American People?? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif

Roadburner440
November 12th, 2010, 11:28
I perosnally think we have done about all we can with the space shuttle. There are a lot of promising technologies in the works based on nuclear ion propulsion and such. The I.S.S. is a good start, but the space shuttle to me is more of an airplane. Which makes it not suited for the mission beyond. I was relieved a few weeks ago when they started talking about the "100 year starship" to Mars. Which is a one way journey for all involved. I think that is more realistic given our current technological abilities. NASA will not abandon space altogether. Just have to wait and see what is in store.

I also do not agree with the improve Muslim relations mission. Although the truth of that is somewhat wishy washy to me as it has never been confirmed/denied to my knowledge. To me that is the Secretary of State's job, but I am all ears if they have something worthwhile to add to her job.

Bone
November 12th, 2010, 11:48
I'm trying to figure out what religon and better relations with muslims has to do with the science of space exploration. Why task the chief administrator of NASA with that?

Wittpilot
November 12th, 2010, 15:24
I believe it was postponed. Cannot remember why.

stansdds
November 13th, 2010, 03:08
This last mission has been delayed by weather and technical issues like propellant leaks. I'm sorry to see the shuttle program end, it was a great way to get things from the Earth to the I.S.S. and back. As for NASA's new mission into a religion, well, that's just the mindset of our current President. It's bull**** and nothing more, but may be quite costly as we will be buying boarding passes on Russian rockets for our astronauts.

Bushpounder
November 13th, 2010, 04:16
The last scheduled Shuttle launches in February. I wouldn't doubt if one is held in reserve for an emergency.

Don

jmig
November 13th, 2010, 04:52
The last scheduled Shuttle launches in February. I wouldn't doubt if one is held in reserve for an emergency.

Don

My wife and I have hotel reservations to see that launch. I hope it goes a bit better than this pending launch.

Bushpounder
November 14th, 2010, 03:10
My wife and I have hotel reservations to see that launch. I hope it goes a bit better than this pending launch.

That will be cool. John! It will be you, your wife, and about a million of your new, closest friends there as well! There will be a BIG crowd to see the last one (maybe LAST ONE .... I'm still holding out hope for another!) launched!

I am scratching my head over this. Killing this program is like selling your family car, and hitchiking for 5+ years before buying another! We never killed a program without having the "new car" sitting in the driveway! I know money is a little tight, but .......

Don