PDA

View Full Version : Stock Mesh!

OBIO
November 11th, 2010, 13:21
I have been using non-stock mesh in FS9 for so long, I had forgotten how terrible the stock stuff was. I keep all my add-on mesh on my sim drive (D) but as I am in the middle of rebuilding my system and doing some hardware upgrades, D drive has been wiped clean. I have an install of FS9 on C drive for testing and tweaking use. I was sitting here and thought I'd go up for a flight. Fired up the install and all the error boxes came up stating that it could not find this and that folder listed in the scenery library...all my add-on mesh and a good bit of scenery. No biggie. Selected the Grumman Ag-Cat (can't remember who did it..nice plane!), went to Alpnach in Switzerland, started the sim....and my jaw hit the floor when I saw for the first time in a long while just how bad stock FS9 mesh is. It was so bad, I ended the flight. I suppose I will go play some playstation or watch something on Netflix.

OBIO

Wing_Z
November 11th, 2010, 14:33
It's something to bear in mind when slagging off FSX
***This is not meant to start one of "those" threads!***
A fully-loaded FS9 just knocks the spots off a stock or immature FSX install.
I think this is something many forget when those arguments start up...
Out of the box, FS9 was something that needed help.
Thanks to the user group, and forums like this one, it got it, and it rocks.
I don't think I've used a stock item in the sim this year.

Daube
November 11th, 2010, 14:56
I remember I felt exactely the same when I had to do a FS9 reinstallation ! (fortunately, I did that only twice)
And it gets even worse when you compare with a place that not only had a good mesh, but also a good landclass ! It was crazy to fly over Concrete without Holger's North Cascades scenery... I quickly reinstalled all my belowed addons as fast as I could :D

Tom Clayton
November 11th, 2010, 15:07
Remember how good it looked when it first came out?:isadizzy:

OBIO
November 11th, 2010, 22:30
Coming to FS9 from CFS2, I was like WOW! Look at the scenery! OH MY GAWD! Yeah, stock FS9 beats the pants off of CFS2. But stock FS9 doesn't hold a candle to my fully modded and tweaked installs....which I miss dearly...but they are safely archived intact on my freshly formatted and deep cleaned external HD. Once I make the hardware changes to my system, and install an upgraded OS (likely going from XP Home to XP Pro), I will be able to copy my installs from the external HD to the brand new 500gig Sata drive that is to be my sim drive, then copy all my mesh and scenery folders off the DVDs that I archived them to. In just an hour or so, I will have my 3 highly modified, highly tweaked and highly populated installs all ready to roll.

OBIO

Trans_23
November 12th, 2010, 19:20
Remember how good it looked when it first came out?:isadizzy:
We might be saying the same thing about FSX in a few years although many of us may never see that day. I suspect if a new sim comes along that rivals FSX but can run smoothly out of the box then FS9 users will upgrade their machines for the new sim without ever having seen the inside of FSX. My copy of FSX Gold is still in the wrapper waiting for a rig that will run it.

Cazzie
November 13th, 2010, 03:35
Tim,

One reason I keep FS9 is because I have the works, FSGenesis world-wide mesh, most the new 19.1-meter DEM mesh for the continental USA, UTX-everywhere, GE Pro, REX-2004, you name it, if it enhances FS9, I got it. And my computer allows me to fly at no stutters or anything full right sliders, altered cfg, et al.

And guess what, I can't fly FSX in the default mode, have FSGenesin 9.6-meter mesh, UTX, GEX, REX, Water Utility, Orbx's PNW, etc. Have to have the eye candy.

Caz

Willy
November 13th, 2010, 08:51
I'm quite happy with FS9.

OBIO
November 13th, 2010, 11:06
Last night I installed, initiated and formatted the new 500gig HD. Guess what I just got done doing? Copying my mesh folders from their archive DVDs to the new HD. And copied my archived GA install to the HD. I am going flying!

OBIO