PDA

View Full Version : Can "Top Gear" make it in America?

Wittpilot
November 7th, 2010, 18:29
Im sure many of you have seen that America will have it's own version of Top Gear soon. And with that being said, it is going to suck...... or at least suck compared to the real Top Gear....

Like Leno said when he was on the show..... A show like that wouldn't work in America, you couldn't say anything because you would upset all the sponsors!

What's your take?

-witt

magoo
November 7th, 2010, 19:09
I feel Top Gear's success had really revolved around that uniquely intangible quality of British humour. It's the spice and style that's placed the show well apart from others in the genre.

American society has very different qualities of endearment, humour, and style. I hope the only thing they franchise from Top Gear is the name.

Now....(mind you), there was another TV show that did well overseas, and then came to North America to meet even greater success. They changed the name, and John Ritter, Joyce Dewitt, Suzanne Somers and Norman Fell portrayed humour and endearment in a manner that was completely America and beholden to nobody. You'd never know the show originated in the UK.

Let's see how Top Gear USA comes out. I'm keen.

EasyEd
November 7th, 2010, 19:19
Hey All,

Magoo how in the world could you forget Barney Fife??

Top Gear I think could work in the USA but only for those who have never seen the British version. If you've seen it no American version will match it.

My favorite Top Gear episodes are the GTR versus the Bullet Train (I love that car!) and of course the best ever when they try to farm petrol - so totally clueless about tractors - I laugh just thinking about it!

-Ed-

Willy
November 7th, 2010, 20:09
I liked the one where they tried to kill that Toyota Diesel pickup.

OBIO
November 7th, 2010, 21:35
Would Top Gear work in America? I don't think so. Firstly...we don't have a single car in this country that is worth putting on the show. The New Camero? The New Charger? Please...utter rubbish on wheels compared to the cars those guys in the UK show and drive. The humor would be gone...America is so PC and so uptight that 98% of the stuff that makes the UK version a hit would be cut out by the censors or protested by the sponsors and every single ethnic/social/religious group in America. In comparison to the Brits, we Americans are nothing more than a bunch of Puritan retards...we simply don't have the innate ability to laugh at stuff the way the British do.

Now, I am an American by breeding (or is that inbreeding), birth, growing up....but I must say, Americans are simply dour sticks in the mud who take things too darn seriously and get their nickers in a wad when they should just tell reality to bugger off and have themselves a bloody good laugh.

OBIO

stiz
November 7th, 2010, 21:37
the only show that was copied by american tv (or even vice versa by ours for that matter) that i think was as good as/better than the orig was whos line is it anyway :)

demorier
November 7th, 2010, 23:24
We had an Australian version of the show...personally I wasn't fussed about that one either, it just didn't have quite the same silly but amusing aspects of the Brit version.

Piglet
November 8th, 2010, 00:54
There is NO WAY the US can ever do Monty Python, or Ab Fab!

kilo delta
November 8th, 2010, 01:18
Can "Top Gear" make it in America?

Put simply...... NO

The presenters (Clarkson,Hammond and May) ARE Top Gear. The interaction between these guys is what makes TG so entertaining.

Aviator32
November 8th, 2010, 01:30
Top Gear presenters consistently refer to American cars (and culture) as rubbish - it would be hard to do that and then cut to flag waving commercials for Buick every two minutes. They would have to change the format, the content, the presenters, the language and most importantly - the cars. Having said that the presenters (and the BBC) would do anything for money so they would probably agree to all the demands of the network and the sponsors but it would be a very different show indeed and probably wouldn't last very long. I think Top Gear has just about run it's course now, it's become very formulaic, predictable and so obviously scripted it's just not funny anymore as you can see every gag and crash coming. Viewing figures are not what they were three or four series ago.
It's time to come up with something new.

Cazzie
November 8th, 2010, 02:52
My question is: why?

Why do we need an American version? Isn't the Brit version we already get on BBC-America okay?

I'm with you 100% OBIO, Americans are too uptight.

And the thing about most American humor (other than Andy and Barney Ed) is that our best comedians cannot be so without being vulgar and crass. The Brits have an innate sense of humor, sometimes quite dark, which I like. It's that quintessential part of Brit humor where "nothing is sacred" that attracts me, most Americans cannot deal with that part. I eat it up.

Caz

Tako_Kichi
November 8th, 2010, 07:15
And the thing about most American humor (other than Andy and Barney Ed) is that our best comedians cannot be so without being vulgar and crass. The Brits have an innate sense of humor, sometimes quite dark, which I like. It's that quintessential part of Brit humor where "nothing is sacred" that attracts me, most Americans cannot deal with that part. I eat it up.
If you like Brit humour Caz (or anyone else for that matter) you would get a kick out of listening to some of the radio comedy shows available online. Many of the great comedy TV shows started out on the radio and the UK has a fantastic tradition of radio comedy stretching back over 80 years.

Every evening I wind down before bedtime by listening to 3-4 radio comedy shows available on BBC7. They play a wide variety of shows from the 1930's to the present time and some have me laughing so hard I am in tears. As I know most of the shows I just use the 'Schedule' page to listen to that day's comedy shows but the link below lists all the current comedy shows available as internet streams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio7/programmes/genres/comedy/current

I can highly recommend the following shows:

Hut 33 - Set in the top secret code breaking section of Bletchley Park during WWII.

Old Harry's Game - Set in Hell where Satan has problems with the day to day running of the place.

Red Dwarf - The radio version of the hugely popular TV series set in space.

Revolting People - Set in the USA in the late 1700's just prior to the Revolution.

Rigor Mortis - A comedy set in the pathology labs of a hospital where even autopsies have funny stories.

The Goon Show - Classic comedy at it's best thanks to Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe.

The Navy Lark - A comedy about the inept crew on a Royal Navy Destroyer in the 50's and 60's. Featuring a Captain who just wants to fish off the stern, a Navigation Officer who gets totally lost if you turn him around three times and a Chief Petty Officer who is running every scam you can think of (and then some!)

The News Quiz - A hilarious and totally irreverent take on the past week's news stories. Nothing is sacred and everyone in the news gets torn apart.

The Right Time - A sketch comedy about growing old in the 21st Century through the eyes of the silver hair brigade.

That lot should keep you busy for a few hours! :icon_lol:

Wing_Z
November 8th, 2010, 13:51
Yes!
But only if it's called "Automatic Transmission"! ;)

TeaSea
November 8th, 2010, 15:19
What I like about Top Gear is that they are unabashedly, unapologetically, absolutely, BRITISH.

No doubt, some version of Top Gear would work in the states, but it would not be the same dynamic.

I think we all sort of agree on that.

Flyboy208
November 8th, 2010, 19:07
Yes!
But only if it's called "Automatic Transmission"! ;)

Charl! That's awesome! Mike :jump:

wiltzei
November 8th, 2010, 19:26
Thereīs only one proper way to answer to OPīs question: How hard can it be. http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/573_laugh.gif (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view-573_laugh.gif)

wombat666
November 8th, 2010, 23:05
I'm amazed that it can 'make it' anywhere!
Muppets.
:173go1:
I'll take Fifth Gear anytime.

kilo delta
November 9th, 2010, 04:04
<object width="480" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.history.com/flash/VideoPlayer.swf?vid=51781196001"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.history.com/flash/VideoPlayer.swf?vid=51781196001" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="480" height="340"></embed></object>

argo147
November 9th, 2010, 16:38
It can work in the U.S., but I think it will appeal mostly to people who don't watch the REAL Top Gear. I'll probably watch the premiere, but I doubt I'll like it as much.

OBIO
November 9th, 2010, 21:25
At least the three hosts look, act and sound like real gear heads. Would have been a real downer if the hosts were some of those hoity toity champagne sipping Prima Donnas who take the 100% Concours restorations to those uppity car shows that don't allow muscle cars, loud cars or any car that is not smothered in fine hand tanned Italian leather, wrapped in some ubber rare exotic hardwood or that goes faster than 20 miles an hour. You know the type I'm taling about...those old guys who wear sweaters tied around their necks, ascots and other those other silly looking things that make me call them a name that is now not politically correct to call anyone.

OBIO

stuartcox
November 9th, 2010, 22:58
Being British, I wouldn't like to watch the American version!
Top Gear has been around for 33 years and is well established in the UK.
We have different interests and taste.
You can't just adopt the British format if you want it to work in America.

Wittpilot
November 29th, 2010, 16:42
So.... It has been on twice here in the States...

Comments?

I personally think it was what I envisioned it to be... I think Foust is really the only good presenter, followed by Wood, and then I think Adam is just plain horrible..... The show just doesn't have a really comfortable feel yet to it.... I mean, yeah, it's only two episodes in, but everything just doens't gel together real well... I guess it is hard to explain what I mean, maybe you guys feel the same.....

-witt

wiltzei
November 29th, 2010, 16:52
The chaps donīt seem to have any major dissimilarities in their personalities, which leads to certain dullness and lack of humour compared to show at the shoal (TG UK) I think. Cinematography is great, though. Especially the Aston section in E02.

djscoo
November 29th, 2010, 17:36
I think the poor writing and the host's inexperience is to blame for the awkwardness. I was watching yesterday's episode, and during the Lancer Evo film Tanner says something like "Suddenly, a propane truck...highly explosive, I was doomed". What does a line like that even mean? It's some writer's attempt at creating suspense, but it makes no sense! Highly contrived situations like that aren't necessary, the Original TG at least tries to cover up their staged situations. With the exception of some shaky moving shots, they did do a good job recreating the Top Gear look (a stack of filters, vignetting and a low camera angle ;)).

Rockster234
November 29th, 2010, 18:01
No I am afraid the current US version will not draw a late 2010 or early 2011 US audience of marketable scale.

I believe ...across the board........must working groups have had thier pocket books scortched............and don't have an appetite for high end gear and a remake at that???

It's not capturing any imagination

strega13
November 30th, 2010, 11:17
with the 3 that have been chosen to be the hosts of the american TG , it's not going to work . i have seen toasters with more personality than these 3 combined ( tanner foust has not changed whatsoever since he started hosting supercars exposed ) , there is no form of originality in the challenges or in the show itself ...
i know that remakes of foreign shows or movies are usualy pathetic ( and now they had to remake being human :rolleyes:) but the US TG was by far the worst ( more than likely until they have a US remake of torchwood ).

Wittpilot
November 30th, 2010, 14:14
Or worse yet, a US "Doctor Who"!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TeaSea
November 30th, 2010, 15:31
Okay, It sucks....

Good call Wittpilot.

I do like the cinematography. Really excellent actually, something it shares with the UK original....

but the hosts are too contrived, too much alike, trying too hard. No chemistry between them at all.

Bah!

Lionheart
November 30th, 2010, 22:08
I heard their head main guy/spokesman/reviewer/star actor talk one time on Americans. He went on to describe us as some unusual, disqusting, inner bread form of race. He continued on and my face actually turned hot. I was embarrassed. I couldnt believe what all things he said about 'Americans'.

I had loved that show, and that guy, up until that moment, and at that moment, I lost all integrity in that show and havent watched it since.

I loved it up until then.

stiz
November 30th, 2010, 22:17
you talking about clarkson?? if so you should hear what he says about germans! All in good fun playing up the sterotypes :)

wombat666
December 1st, 2010, 00:43
( more than likely until they have a US remake of torchwood ).

NO!!!!
Perish the thought!!
Look at the botch the American version of 'Ashes to Ashes' turned out to be.
:173go1:

allcott
December 1st, 2010, 01:22
I heard their head main guy/spokesman/reviewer/star actor talk one time on Americans. He went on to describe us as some unusual, disqusting, inner bread form of race. He continued on and my face actually turned hot. I was embarrassed. I couldnt believe what all things he said about 'Americans'.

I had loved that show, and that guy, up until that moment, and at that moment, I lost all integrity in that show and havent watched it since.

I loved it up until then.

I think you missed the earlier comments about quintessentially British humour. And the ability to laugh at yourself. You also missed the group dynamic where they actually take the mickey out of each other as well as you Americans - and Germans, Italians, French, Irish, Welsh, Scots, rich people, poor people, fat people, thin people and anyone and anything that crosses their sights. Especially themselves and each other. The only thing the show doesn't have is integrity. It's entertainment, not news reporting!:ernae:

It wears its pretence on its sleeve and if you don't get it, then the show most definitely isn't for you. Many Americans DO get it - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz certainly did, turning up early and spending all day at the studio. Seasick Steve did and he's only owned one car since 1957, David Soul certainly got it, Christian Slater certainly did too, although he's an honorary Brit these days anyway, Mark Wahlberg was brilliantly funny. And in the last series Andy Garcia and Jeff Goldblum actually took Clarkson on at his own game, and won!

It's a sit-com about three geezers who get together every week to talk cars and take the mickey out of guest stars, in front of a live studio audience. `Internal Combustion Friends` set in a hangar, not a loft.

I am British. I watched one of the ATG episodes. And they've missed the point completely. It should be about the presenters, not the cars, or the flashy camera effects. And certainly NOT about testing out the cars. Are the presenters dead? I've seen lumps of Blu Tak with more life in them.:salute: :icon_eek:

Naki
December 1st, 2010, 01:43
you talking about clarkson?? if so you should hear what he says about germans! All in good fun playing up the sterotypes :)

Yes you are right its all part of the show and act.

I've met Clarkson (and Hammond) when I was working back stage on Top Gear Live in Auckland...from first impressions he is a bit of a grump and quite a serious guy (not what you see on air), but at the same time quite laid back (and a chain smoker). He was quite happy to sign one of my Clarkson books. He also made a point of thanking us for our back stage work when he left which was great.

Hammond on the other hand is much like he is on stage...a rather hyper active type.

Quixoticish
December 1st, 2010, 01:51
Or worse yet, a US "Doctor Who"!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

To be fair Doctor Who is pretty bloody awful anyway, I don't think a US version could make it any worse than it already is.

Aviator32
December 1st, 2010, 06:54
To be fair Doctor Who is pretty bloody awful anyway, I don't think a US version could make it any worse than it already is.

Here, here! It's already a kids program though so at least they could turn it into a cartoon, Scooby Doo style!

(In fact Doctor Who and Scooby Doo would make a good team!)

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3209/drwho04bjc.gif

Wittpilot
December 8th, 2010, 16:14
I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy watching Doctor Who. Call me weird.... It is just really entertaining to me... Oh well.. To each their own..>

Im eagerly awaiting the Christmas Special, which oddly enough, will air here in the States on Christmas Day as well!

andersel
December 8th, 2010, 22:27
My question is: why?

Why do we need an American version? Isn't the Brit version we already get on BBC-America okay?

I'm with you 100% OBIO, Americans are too uptight.

Caz

Hear Hear Caz