PDA

View Full Version : SOUND: BEST CHOICE? -- More inside

OleBoy
November 6th, 2010, 19:26
I just finished doing a complete format to my "C" drive. For as long as I remember when I did a fresh install of my OS and all else, I always installed the drivers for my soundcard.

This time I am not using my SoundBlaster Audigy Pro. I decided to try the onboard sound.
...I had to enable it in the bios, but it really sounds just as good as the card.
Now I'm curious what other benefits I might get from it.

Will the flightsims work less having fewer resources used...or vice/versa?
...Or will I not notice much at all?

Does anyone really know anything about one or the other as far as the flightsims are related?

Z-claudius24
November 6th, 2010, 20:08
Hi,

Dunno if this will be a penalty for the sim (that's depend of your system performances) but using a onboard soundcard will drain system ressources (CPU and memory) and so reduce the quantity of ressouces for all the other applications ...
That can be barely noticeable on a system full or resources .. but it can be also issues with some eratics I/O exchanges .... IMHO and AFAIK :)

OleBoy
November 6th, 2010, 20:23
I will test it for a while and see. Easy to fix if it does chew resources

OBIO
November 6th, 2010, 23:41
When I installed a dedicated sound card (can't remember what it was...got it from a friend for free), I actually saw a decrease in the performance of FS9. Not a big decrease, but 3 to 5 FPS. I yanked the dedicated sound card, went back to my on-board sound chip set and got my frame rate back.

This may not be the case with every system and/or every sound card..but in my case it was true.

OBIO

Willy
November 7th, 2010, 00:07
My experience with an Audigy 2 card matches Obio's. Got better frames with the onboard sound chip.

Now I'm running an ancient PCI Soundblaster and can't really tell the difference in frames or sound quality over the onboard sound.

AndyG43
November 7th, 2010, 00:20
An onboard soundcard will usually (but not always these days) have slightly lower quality sound than a dedicated card; however, both will typically use the CPU & memory of the main system, which is why the better quality of the dedicated card may cause a performance hit.

The exception to that rule is the Creative X-Fi series, which are designed with gamers in mind, and have their own CPU so as not to put any drain on mainboard resources. I switched a year or so back and never regretted it - the sound quality is stunning, even with headphones.

stansdds
November 7th, 2010, 02:47
SoundBlaster's drivers have become bloatware and that may also impact computer performance. With my current computer, I'm using the onboard sound. It's not quite as good as my old SB Audigy 2ZS, but it's simple and works.

txnetcop
November 7th, 2010, 03:44
Your best onboard sounds will come from the new i5 1156 socket and i7 1366 socket motherboards but I have been using onboard sound for the 775 socket series boards and have only experienced a little lower sound quality and much better performance. Do keep up with the motherboard sound updates and upgrades from the motherboard mfg site also keep your BIOS updated.
Ted

OleBoy
November 7th, 2010, 04:21
Good morning everyone.
..Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate all the feedback.

I'll stick with the onboard sound then.

One more thing. Should I physically pull the soundcard out, or is that necessary?

Dangerousdave26
November 7th, 2010, 04:26
Good morning everyone.
..Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate all the feedback.

I'll stick with the onboard sound then.

One more thing. Should I physically pull the soundcard out, or is that necessary?

Yep pull it out

Leaving it in might cause a conflict and it should still be powering up although since it is not running it should not be using much power.

It will give you a good chance to clean out the cooling fins in the system too.