PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with virtual Bf109s...

ndicki
November 6th, 2010, 12:09
So I got something a bit more tangible! Which also explains, in part at least, why I haven't uploaded anything much for a while.

There are one or two minor inaccuracies, and the scheme itself, while perfectly correct, is actually hypothetical. Unlike in Photoshop where you can make the decals you need, here you have to make do with what you've got. And in 1/32nd, that is not usually that much, especially if the markings that came with the kit are not ones you like much!

gaw
November 6th, 2010, 12:46
nice job old son....all mine were so obscured by glue spots and Testor's cement smears they were none of them eligible to the public gaze

hairyspin
November 6th, 2010, 12:51
At least with that one you don't have to deal with anyone's wonky mapping, and the spinner can take a spiral paint job! :salute::salute:

jaycee
November 6th, 2010, 13:57
lovely N. if you are into modeling in a big way, you can make your own decals ,you can get printable decal sheets and spray-on fixer. not as fine as the proper decals. but if you realy want certain markings.then they are ok.

HouseHobbit
November 6th, 2010, 17:48
WOW!!
You have done a Beautiful Job on this one.. BRAVO...:salute:
I am truly impressed..

Can I wreck it???
You know me, I just love to wreck your beautiful birds..
OPPS... well maybe not in this case..:jump:

grizzly50
November 6th, 2010, 18:15
:kilroy:Nigel, for future reference:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/

http://www.squadron.com/

They may be worth a looksee.:d

ndicki
November 7th, 2010, 00:44
lovely N. if you are into modeling in a big way, you can make your own decals ,you can get printable decal sheets and spray-on fixer. not as fine as the proper decals. but if you realy want certain markings.then they are ok.

I know the trick in theory, just never used it. Having to cut round each decal without leaving a white edge must be fun, though!

ndicki
November 7th, 2010, 00:52
At least with that one you don't have to deal with anyone's wonky mapping, and the spinner can take a spiral paint job! :salute::salute:

Very true! And these kits - Hasegawa and Revell Germany, same moulds - are fantastic. They do pretty well every variant from the G-4 to the K-4, and parts can be mixed and matched, just like the real ones. My next project will be a G-2 or G-5 depending on budget; the G-2 requires aftermarket wheels, while the G-5 will be a mix-and-match job... The G-6 kit would do (although I don't know if it has the correct right side cowling bulge) but costs around E50.00. The G-4 kit costs E25 or so. I have a spare G-5 right cowling bulge and gun tray that came with the G-14 above, and the G-4 kit includes the left bulge. Add a set of aftermarket MG131s for about £5.00 from Hannants (can't get any of the addon stuff easily in France) and you're ahead of the game. The money you've saved can go on decals that you like...

And if it's the G-2, I have designs on a Finnish one in olive green and black, just for a change.

One of the things I love about 109s is that the paint schemes are so incredibly varied you never got bored!

ndicki
November 7th, 2010, 00:53
:kilroy:Nigel, for future reference:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/

http://www.squadron.com/

They may be worth a looksee.:d

Yes - I know them well! And with the weak dollar, Squadron is worth a visit...

jaycee
November 7th, 2010, 01:01
I know the trick in theory, just never used it. Having to cut round each decal without leaving a white edge must be fun, though!

Its a clear sheet N. you only use white if you need to.

Led Zeppelin
November 7th, 2010, 01:28
Nice one!! :jump:

ndicki
November 7th, 2010, 01:45
Its a clear sheet N. you only use white if you need to.

That won't work - printer ink is not dense enough if it doesn't have white backing. And there is no white ink in my printer!

Pat Pattle
November 7th, 2010, 11:27
Beautiful Nigel! You have a real talent.

ndicki
November 8th, 2010, 11:17

Thank you - basically it's nothing more than finding out how to achieve the same effects with a different medium!

seacondor
November 8th, 2010, 17:12
Nice one Nigel. I just got a 1/48 Hampton kit that I'm keen to make. It will be a real challenge. Lots of flash etc. But some how I think it will be more satisfying that a Tamiya kit in the end.

alain95
November 9th, 2010, 01:09

I second that ! :applause:

You don't have to worry about computer troubles with that kind of hobbies, it must be good to be back to concrete things with no resolution limits !

:engel016:

ndicki
November 9th, 2010, 08:17
Nice one Nigel. I just got a 1/48 Hampton kit that I'm keen to make. It will be a real challenge. Lots of flash etc. But some how I think it will be more satisfying that a Tamiya kit in the end.

I know the one... You've got courage! That will take you some time.

ndicki
November 9th, 2010, 08:20

I second that ! :applause:

You don't have to worry about computer troubles with that kind of hobbies, it must be good to be back to concrete things with no resolution limits !

:engel016:

Takes up a bit more space though! I'm in need of a new shelf since I started a 1/32nd collection. Now got a Bf109g-4, g-14, Spitfire MkI and He162a-2 finished, and waiting in the queue an FW190D-9, MS.406, Piper Super Cub, Spitfire Mk22 and Lysander and arriving soon not a Bf109g-2 or g-5/6 as announced, but a k-4. Special offer! That'll be next.