PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan FDE

WarHorse47
November 6th, 2010, 07:14
I pulled my Just Flight/PSS Vulcan out of the hangar last night and reminded myself why I have a love/hate relationship with this aircraft. :mixedsmi:

I really like the various models, panels, sounds and all the additional repaints. But it seems that the flight dynamics are just not right. :salute:

I've tried tweaking the aircraft.cfg, but at times the controls either sluggish or too sensitive. Coming in for an ILS landing, the aircraft started to porpoise so much it was a real challenge to land.

Does anyone know of any tweaks or modified air files that might help and provide a little more stability or realistic flight dyamics??

Thanks in advance :ernae:

--WH

nazca_steve
November 6th, 2010, 10:04
Start messing with the Flight Tuning section in the cfg file - by porpoising I take it you mean pitching up and down - if that is the case, try messing with the elevator stability perhaps. The best way to tweak, is well, to tweak, until you get what you need. Funny you should mention Vulcan FDEs; I love the Paul Foster model, but have always wanted to sit down a re-do the FDEs - if I ever do, and have some success, I'll happily share those values on here.

fliger747
November 6th, 2010, 10:37
My guess not an easy fix! Deltoid winged aircraft can approach at very high AOA values, but also begin to create massive amounts of drag. Considerably different charchteristics than a straight or swept wing plane. Some of this may be technique, attempt to maintain a constant pitch and adjust the flight path with thrust, which will work with such planforms at high AOA's.

The fix? In the air file, which will take some very fine adjustments as to the pitch moments generated at various high AOA values. Lots of test flying!!

Good luck: T

WarHorse47
November 6th, 2010, 11:48
Thanks, fellas.

In researching this issue, I found a few links at the CBSF forum. Unfortunately, none of them worked. So somebody out there has some tweaks.

--WH

Desert Rat
November 6th, 2010, 14:37
I've always found the stability of this model a little 'twitchy', like the CoG is off a little (a common occurrence with FS2002/CFS2 aircraft in FS2004, which this Vulcan basically is). Sure it can be trimmed out, but it is way to far out at some speeds (especially low). Due to the massive power and tendency to overspeed at the drop of a hat, the balance does come at higher speeds, but IIRC at close to the aforementioned overspeed.

I tried adjusting CoG and to some success, but it always fell backwards on it's gear, I did solve that with some contact point adjustment, but as always with these adjustments, one solved issue lead to another (often worse!!) I eventually gave up and reverted to default.

One thing I often do (cheat) is set altitude hold in level flight for a given speed, once happy and level, turn it off and the sim keeps the trim levels (mostly) for level flight. Reducing speed should result in a nice even sink rate for approach.

One day I may try again. But FS9 is only successfully loading 10% of the time at the moment, bummer as I have a nice new Cranberry to be flying.

I do love the JF Vulcan, one of my all time favs, love anything A.V.Roe, Hawker , English Electric or De Havilland. Wish that nice new FSX Vampire would work in FS9 :(

Jamie

nazca_steve
November 6th, 2010, 15:45
Really nice observations there, Jamie, I've had the same overspeed problems time and again in Paul's model. I love the Vulcan too, real classic Brit design work there, a beauty to behold. If someone here can lock down, or at least closer with the FDEs for any Vulcan, it'll be great. If I had some flipping time I'd take a crack at it, but I think one of you chaps are going to have to lead the way on it (probably for the best anyway!)

Rich
November 6th, 2010, 16:02
The JF Vulcan is indeed the PSS model, I got it when PSS just released and had a load of problems flying it, looking in the airfile I found in the Just another name entry which was common some time back in that entry was Concorde the Fs2000 variety I suspect. PSS offered no support but had a forum where questions and answers could be posted, I mentioned finding the Concorde entry in the air file so others would know why it was so hard to handle, my post promptly disappeared and the Concorde name removed from the airfile for future downloads

WarHorse47
November 7th, 2010, 09:21
The JF Vulcan is indeed the PSS model, I got it when PSS just released and had a load of problems flying it, looking in the airfile I found in the Just another name entry which was common some time back in that entry was Concorde the Fs2000 variety I suspect. PSS offered no support but had a forum where questions and answers could be posted, I mentioned finding the Concorde entry in the air file so others would know why it was so hard to handle, my post promptly disappeared and the Concorde name removed from the airfile for future downloadsThen perhaps you might be able to answer another related question.

I noticed with various repaints that there are a different number of bmp files for the PSS version. The JF install has four textures for each aircraft, whereas the freeware repaints for both JF and PSS by Jason Sparkes contains 14 bmp files. I'm tempted to delete the additional files (which seem mostly for the VC), but wanted to get some opinions first.

--WH

Desert Rat
November 10th, 2010, 10:41
just noticed these...
http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=startdown&id=1946

doesn't state which model it is intended for, maybe in the readme?

nazca_steve
November 10th, 2010, 11:31
Nothing concrete in the readme, but if you open the .air file in notepad, it mentions Alpha Sim Vulcan B.1.

WarHorse47
November 10th, 2010, 15:03
I initiated a thread on their forum on the same subject, and one of them came forward with the FDE. It does work on the PSS/JF Vulcan, but don't use the cfg setup as it throws off all the contact points, etc.

I'm still doing some comparions between the FDE setups. At the moment I've found a happy medium by making some adjustments to the [flight_tuning] section with the original air file. :jump:

--WH

harrybasset
November 10th, 2010, 22:36
I've tried it on the JF Vulcan and it works quite well apart from hovering about 3 feet above the runway.

WarHorse47
November 11th, 2010, 11:47
I've tried it on the JF Vulcan and it works quite well apart from hovering about 3 feet above the runway.Swap out the contract_points sections from the original cfg and that should fix it. May want to do the same for the lights and smoke as well.

--WH