PDA

View Full Version : PC woes

Pat Pattle
November 5th, 2010, 00:33
My home PC had died. I'm not sure yet whether it's just the PSU or the motherboard, either way I'm not sure when I'll be up and running again - it's not a good time of year to go cap in hand to Mrs Pattle! (my Sons 18th, father-in-laws 80th, Xmas etc etc!!)

So apologies to anyone who's waiting for anything from me, it may be a short while....

Cheers,

Clive

KellyB
November 5th, 2010, 04:42
Sorry for your troubles, Clive. It's always a pain in most parts of the anatomy when machines fail.

But, as we all know, real life trumps cfs3, and as we also all know, whatever you're working on will be worth waiting for.

crossram
November 5th, 2010, 05:52
Sorry to hear, Clive.

Lol, mine's just slow and cranky.

Keeping the fingers crossed for ya!

hairyspin
November 5th, 2010, 13:05
Oh horrors, this hobby would be more enjoyable without hardware collapse lurking in the background. If the PSU has gone it'll do nothing, if the motherboard has failed it might beep pathetically before falling down.

Either way, I hope you get sorted soon. :wavey:

BeauBrummie
November 5th, 2010, 14:24
Lordy Pat, this bloody technology eh! (still no proper broadband yet for me!)

Wyld45
November 5th, 2010, 18:20
So sorry to hear this Pat! Dont know about everyone else,but this whole year has
been dismal and sucky for me! Had some close calls on the computer end,but always
manage to excorcise the "buggy" demons and cast them out.

Heres to wishing you back up soon Pat! :ernae:

HouseHobbit
November 5th, 2010, 19:51
I Hope all shall be well very soon..

I do understand as most do, how a Mean PC can ruin a Day..
Praying for you..

ndicki
November 6th, 2010, 01:24
Oh bugger....

Actually, not telling Mrs Pattle might be a better approach. It works to some extent with Mrs Ndicki, in any case. She asks "Vot's zat suspicious parcel zat's chust arrifed?" to which I say, "Oh, nothing, dear," and disappear before she starts on the ways of making me talk. But by then it's too late for her to do much. Meanwhile, I am happily Walter Mittying about my role in the British Resistance, pulling a fast one under the noses of the Huns...

On the positive side, it does mean more valuable pub time when you might otherwise have been sitting in front on the computer!

Wyld45
November 6th, 2010, 12:34
Oh bugger....

Actually, not telling Mrs Pattle might be a better approach. It works to some extent with Mrs Ndicki, in any case. She asks "Vot's zat suspicious parcel zat's chust arrifed?" to which I say, "Oh, nothing, dear," and disappear before she starts on the ways of making me talk. But by then it's too late for her to do much. Meanwhile, I am happily Walter Mittying about my role in the British Resistance, pulling a fast one under the noses of the Huns...

On the positive side, it does mean more valuable pub time when you might otherwise have been sitting in front on the computer!

....or you could always say,"Well funny thing Dear,all the guys at Sim Outhouse sympathized
with my plight,and would you believe they just all donated to get me another PC!"

mrjmaint
November 6th, 2010, 15:51
all the guys at Sim Outhouse sympathized
with my plight,and would you believe they just all donated to get me another PC!"

You Know, that's not a bad idea. There are those that have put a lot of hard work and effort into CFS3. I myself have come to realize that over the past year or so. I would be willing to help those who have put in the effort. I for sure have benefited from their work.

A Question to those who would know. Is there a way through the SOH that this could be done?

chriseponymous
November 6th, 2010, 16:37
Sorry to hear of your loss! I do second the opinion that we should set up some kind of donation. You have given much of your time to support my airfield constructions so I would be more than happy to contribute. :salute:

chriseponymous
November 6th, 2010, 16:46
Selfishly, I need help with Shoreham!2309823099

Wyld45
November 6th, 2010, 22:54
Might not have much,think I could scrounge 20$ though!

Pat Pattle
November 7th, 2010, 11:19
Very generous thoughts chaps but no need really!

Luck is on my side and it's only the PSU which I can get second hand on Ebay, although new ones aren't a great deal either. So hopefully I'll be up and running in a week or so.

It's actually been quite nice to have a weekend off Nigel, especially when my local has Wadworths 'The Bishops Tipple' on tap at the moment .;)

ndicki
November 8th, 2010, 11:15
especially when my local has Wadworths 'The Bishops Tipple' on tap at the moment .;)

I knew there were good reasons to stay in Devon!

alain95
November 9th, 2010, 00:09
Very generous thoughts chaps but no need really!

Luck is on my side and it's only the PSU which I can get second hand on Ebay, although new ones aren't a great deal either. So hopefully I'll be up and running in a week or so.

It's actually been quite nice to have a weekend off Nigel, especially when my local has Wadworths 'The Bishops Tipple' on tap at the moment . ;)

Hello Clive,

Good to read your computer problem is going to be fixed, when your PC is open take time to clean it from the dust if necessary, think about the previous Nigel experience !

Nice to see you take this incident by the good side, there's allways a time for a good beer.
I Hope everything will be Ok for you again soon
:ernae:

All the best
:engel016:

Rabbit 3
November 13th, 2010, 02:21
I hope you hav`nt lost anything in the crash.
I`m still trying to find things lost when mine went down from a virus a couple of years ago!

Dave(Dangerous)Boynton
November 13th, 2010, 05:35
I hope you hav`nt lost anything in the crash.
I`m still trying to find things lost when mine went down from a virus a couple of years ago!

Beenthere a couple times back when i started out modelling hangers and control towers. very annoying but have learnt since then.

Clive, hope your back up and running soon.

Dave

Rabbit 3
July 3rd, 2014, 04:51
:applause::wavey::jump::wiggle:
Well, after a couple of years of having only access to a low-end laptop which could barely cope with running CFS1 I`m now back using something that can run most of my flight sims.
Now I`m currently trying to re-install everything and trying to find and rebuild lost files.
I`ve not ben inactive in flight sim games though, during my enforced retreat I rediscovered the joys of tabletop wargaming, particularly a certain game called Wings of War/wings of Glory.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php
Now if anybody knows how to get CFS 3 running on Windows 8 with the NEK installed?

Daiwilletti
July 3rd, 2014, 17:03
What seems to be the problem? I'm running a set of installs on Win 8.1, don't recall doing anything special although I may have set the desktop shortcuts to the exes to run in compatibility mode, probably set the exes to run as administrator, that would be about it. CFS3 App Data files installed into the "roaming" subfolder, which is slightly different pathway from XP.

Is it something to do with NEK addon? If you choose to install ETO instead of the NEK, you will find that NEK is incorporated into ETO. Much better than the old NEK version.

HTH,

Rabbit 3
July 6th, 2014, 03:35
What seems to be the problem? I'm running a set of installs on Win 8.1, don't recall doing anything special although I may have set the desktop shortcuts to the exes to run in compatibility mode, probably set the exes to run as administrator, that would be about it. CFS3 App Data files installed into the "roaming" subfolder, which is slightly different pathway from XP.

Is it something to do with NEK addon? If you choose to install ETO instead of the NEK, you will find that NEK is incorporated into ETO. Much better than the old NEK version.

HTH,
The problem turned out to be the old D-Day add on rather than the NEK installation itself, something to do with that add-on mucking up the opening cutscene on launch.
Reinstalling the NEK over a basic CFS3 install seemed to work, so far now I`ve got a main install and a DP Korean Skies version working and currently looking to install MAW and ETO as seperate folders once I can track down the installation files.
How do you currently get Over Flanders Fields, I used to have an early version but the payware variant appeared round about when my initial problems began so I never got around to getting it.

hairyspin
July 6th, 2014, 03:55
You might try the OFF forums for a DVD request: the freeware versions were withdrawn years ago. If you want the current version, it's Wings Over Flanders Fields at their official website (http://www.overflandersfields.com)

Daiwilletti
July 6th, 2014, 15:32
The problem turned out to be the old D-Day add on rather than the NEK installation itself, something to do with that add-on mucking up the opening cutscene on launch.
Reinstalling the NEK over a basic CFS3 install seemed to work, so far now I`ve got a main install and a DP Korean Skies version working and currently looking to install MAW and ETO as seperate folders once I can track down the installation files.
How do you currently get Over Flanders Fields, I used to have an early version but the payware variant appeared round about when my initial problems began so I never got around to getting it.

Hi Rabbit3, to correct the file controlling the opening cutscene, go to your Missions folder and open the frontend.xml file, with Notepad. The D-Day addon version will probably have named a D-day aircraft, and possibly an addon airfield, for the default cutscene. If your global layer does not contain the airfield you will get a glitch. If the pilot model, aircraft, weather, etc is missing, same thing. It will also have changed the root uisel.xml file in the main install. It is possible to retain the addon, but change the faulty files if needs be. I install DDay and JFBob into empty destination folders, so I can pick and choose what to addon to the stock CFS3.

HTH,

Rabbit 3
July 7th, 2014, 01:26
Hi Rabbit3, to correct the file controlling the opening cutscene, go to your Missions folder and open the frontend.xml file, with Notepad. The D-Day addon version will probably have named a D-day aircraft, and possibly an addon airfield, for the default cutscene. If your global layer does not contain the airfield you will get a glitch. If the pilot model, aircraft, weather, etc is missing, same thing. It will also have changed the root uisel.xml file in the main install. It is possible to retain the addon, but change the faulty files if needs be. I install DDay and JFBob into empty destination folders, so I can pick and choose what to addon to the stock CFS3.

HTH,
If I can be bothered, towards the end all I was using of D-Day was the planes and the missions, I`ve never had any problems with the JFBob stuff.