PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth? Lon/Lat

OleBoy
November 3rd, 2010, 11:14
Is there a way I can pull specific longitude and latitude from Google Earth online? I want to see if there's a chance Microsoft placed a fire lookout tower where one is known in the Olympic mountains.
...I can get close. But not the actual coordinates.

Tako_Kichi
November 3rd, 2010, 11:37
There are a couple of ways that I know of..........

Less precise:
1. Zoom in to where you want to find the location.
2. Position the mouse cursor over the location.
3. Read off the lat/long of the cursor position at the bottom of the main screen.

More precise:
1. Zoom in to where you want to find the location.
2. Click on the 'push-pin' icon in the top toolbar.
3. Drag the 'push-pin to your required location.
4. Read off the lat/long in the small window that opened when you originally clicked on the icon.

Note: you can copy/paste the lat/long data from that window to another application if need be.

OleBoy
November 3rd, 2010, 12:07
Thank you Larry. I did the second method. Only thing was it was kind of confusing the way it did it. The area I originally clicked was a logging road up in the mountains. I could see the old fire watch clearly. Been closed for many years and the only way there in to hike or helicopter.

Anyway, the area I clicked on took me to the beginning where the road started and, gave me those coordinates. After moving the push pin to where I wanted it to be a second time I saw they lon/lat was different. I have it now

Thanks again

Oh...likely you and most others already know this, the coordinates from Google Earth, they're way off in the simulator 2004. I would have never thought. :kilroy:

Motormouse
November 4th, 2010, 02:11
Oh...likely you and most others already know this, the coordinates from Google Earth, they're way off in the simulator 2004. I would have never thought. :kilroy:

hell yes, microsoft even got a complete airpark (SFS Airpark) the wrong side of the San Juan Islands..however a lot of their co-ordinates problems is down to the system used to obtain those co-ordinates (WGS84,NAD27,NAD83 or UTM to name but a few) and convert them to use in-sim.

I tend to try all the various converters to see what comes out best when tweeking scenery;
there's a handy (free) page here with useful converter and links to other conversion apps too

http://www.jeepreviews.com/wireless-gps-coordinates/

ttfn

Pete