PDA

View Full Version : Navigational Question

Autothrottle
November 2nd, 2010, 22:37
Hello all Pilots,

CFS3 is such a Graphics intensive game as we all know. Has anyone tried to fly westward in the Game or does it have some kind of Barrier that prevents you from flying any further from Great Britain?

I have The Ju290 and Im planning to use it to test out my theory, I want to see how far I can fly it on a full tank of gas west of London Towards New York, any takers before I takeoff?

Or Am I going to need a rescue?

OldCrow
November 2nd, 2010, 23:32
Hello all Pilots,

CFS3 is such a Graphics intensive game as we all know. Has anyone tried to fly westward in the Game or does it have some kind of Barrier that prevents you from flying any further from Great Britain?

I have The Ju290 and Im planning to use it to test out my theory, I want to see how far I can fly it on a full tank of gas west of London Towards New York, any takers before I takeoff?

Or Am I going to need a rescue?I've been to the "edges of the map" a gazillion times, although not there(where you're headed). I assume you'll run into the "invisible wall" I always find where the ground textures become bland and lacking any detail in front of you.

Many missions in the campaign put me there, especially in the North or South doing anti-shipping missions.

ndicki
November 3rd, 2010, 09:58
It sort of grinds to an incoherence...

Wyld45
November 3rd, 2010, 10:38
Dont know how many times I've looked at that when laying out the frontlines,and
wished I could build onto the rest of the map. Sure would be sweet if you could do
a Trans-Atlantic flight to the next continent!
:jump:

HouseHobbit
November 3rd, 2010, 11:02
NO... DON"T GO THERE!!!

You end up in Mordor!!!

Bad things in Mordor....:redfire:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

OldCrow
November 3rd, 2010, 12:41
NO... DON"T GO THERE!!!

You end up in Mordor!!!

Bad things in Mordor....:redfire:

BUT, if you have to there...it beats walking and walking and walking like the hobbits did, right? :cool:

HouseHobbit
November 3rd, 2010, 14:32
Nope no walking now for me.... :applause:
I have the Hobbit special..
Thanks Nigel..such a pretty purple bird...:salute:

Autothrottle
November 3rd, 2010, 21:45
So it it worth the Old College Try?

If not, can One of you kind fellows search for me with a Catalina please?

OldCrow
November 4th, 2010, 00:50
So it it worth the Old College Try?

If not, can One of you kind fellows search for me with a Catalina please?
With that long of a flight, I would use a jet with drop tanks or it will take you forever.

Dave(Dangerous)Boynton
November 4th, 2010, 02:40
I think old crow has the right idea .... very fast with drop tanks. get plenty of hieght so if you run out you can come down using the hieght to get that extra distance, lol...... plenty of time to bail.

ndicki
November 4th, 2010, 05:51
Reepicheep.

hairyspin
November 4th, 2010, 09:09
Reepicheep.

But did you see any Dufflepuds on the way??

Autothrottle
November 4th, 2010, 18:57
What kind of Jet in the CFS3 inventory has that kind of range? The fastest seems to be the 262, but It doesnt have the range to be flown far west of Britain.

OldCrow
November 4th, 2010, 23:37
What kind of Jet in the CFS3 inventory has that kind of range? The fastest seems to be the 262, but It doesnt have the range to be flown far west of Britain.
You could always change the difficulty/settings to "unlimited fuel" if that's a problem.

ndicki
November 5th, 2010, 10:20
But did you see any Dufflepuds on the way??

No - they were either away for the day, or being invisible. Eustace was there, though, I'm sorry to say.

browngib
November 5th, 2010, 10:30
It sure doesn't help to get inane replies to a resonable Program inquiry.

You have ticked my interest and so I will also try and I will get back to you.

I am a retired SAR pilot!

Hooligan56

KellyB
November 5th, 2010, 11:04

You have ticked my interest and so I will also try and I will get back to you.

I am a retired SAR pilot!

Hooligan56

I think you'll find if you look at the whole thread that the question asked was answered and now some guys are just fooling around.

They are, by the way, significant contributors to this forum and the sim.

hairyspin
November 5th, 2010, 12:30
To be serious for the moment, this is a limitation of CFS3. Our beloved combat sim uses a flat terrain model, while we all (well, most of us :isadizzy:) know the earth is round.

Once this flat "sandbox" gets big enough, distortion in the world model become unavoidable. To see how this could work out, look at a typical Mercator projection map of the world: Greenland looks about as big as Africa but in fact it's way smaller:-

http://www.heliheyn.de/Map2Web/Pictures/MercatorProjection.jpg

If the stock CFS3 sandbox were extended across the Atlantic, North America would look as big and important as Owen truly believes it to be....! :173go1:

CFS2 and FS8/9/X can accomodate the entire world, since they use a spherical world model. The MAW theatre is the biggest sandbox CFS3 will permit.

Now back to the frivolity! :mix-smi:

HouseHobbit
November 5th, 2010, 19:45
To be serious for the moment, this is a limitation of CFS3. Our beloved combat sim uses a flat terrain model, while we all (well, most of us :isadizzy:) know the earth is round.

Once this flat "sandbox" gets big enough, distortion in the world model become unavoidable. To see how this could work out, look at a typical Mercator projection map of the world: Greenland looks about as big as Africa but in fact it's way smaller:-

http://www.heliheyn.de/Map2Web/Pictures/MercatorProjection.jpg

If the stock CFS3 sandbox were extended across the Atlantic, North America would look as big and important as Owen truly believes it to be....! :173go1:

CFS2 and FS8/9/X can accomodate the entire world, since they use a spherical world model. The MAW theatre is the biggest sandbox CFS3 will permit.

Now back to the frivolity! :mix-smi:

I like this Idea...

I am on the floor Here, Too Cool..

ndicki
November 6th, 2010, 01:10

Hooligan56

You will find that my comment about Reepicheep was far from inane.

KellyB
November 6th, 2010, 04:52
I think that CFS3's (and therefore, M$oft's) not knowing that the earth is round may explain many things.

It is also not true that Redmond is the center of the universe, a fact that has only recently come to their realization as they explore Europe in their M$oft-centric mode.

I tried a flight and hit the invisible wall; just locked up.

Too bad. It would have been fun.

Old Tiger
November 6th, 2010, 05:38
I think that CFS3's (and therefore, M$oft's) not knowing that the earth is round may explain many things.

It is also not true that Redmond is the center of the universe, a fact that has only recently come to their realization as they explore Europe in their M$oft-centric mode.

I tried a flight and hit the invisible wall; just locked up.

Too bad. It would have been fun.

:wavey:Same with me, I too tried a flight and hit the invisible wall; just locked up.:pop4:

HouseHobbit
November 6th, 2010, 05:58
See what happens, I warned you not to go there...
You run out of the map, Then Mordor!!
:jump: :jump: :jump:

ndicki
November 6th, 2010, 09:17
You really should read your children's books - we did try to tell you the world is flat and you will come to the edge...

KellyB
November 7th, 2010, 04:37
You really should read your children's books - we did try to tell you the world is flat and you will come to the edge...

Oh, you and Sam Shenton...