PDA

View Full Version : Snapper's Nest (not finished yet...)

IanP
October 30th, 2010, 12:04
Don't know whether anyone is interested in this or not, but while playing with gmax (and losing spectacularly), I have been putting together somewhere for "the opposition" to live and fly from to annoy the denizens of my RAF airfields.

Caffiers in the Pas de Calais, Northern France, was home to Luftwaffe JG26, led by Major Adolf Galland, who are of particular interest to simmers around here, as they were also the first unit to receive and operate the new FW190A as it reached the latter stages of testing - but still had a tendency for the engine to stop working.

There are a mixture of objects in this one and it's easy to tell who did what. The semi-underground command bunker and the fighter pens were me playing with gmax. The sdkfz7 half track and Flakvierling (yes it is untextured, I'll do something about that at some point) are models I gave up trying to make and bought very cheap meshes for. The rest of the objects and clutter are default FSX.

I've added an AI file for anyone who has the Classics Hangar FW190 early models - it uses the AI JG26 model, which obviously fits perfectly, but both the JustFlight and A2A Bf109s also come with JG26 paints. If anyone wants another AI file done with "player models" of either of those let me know and I'll swap the FW190s out for Bf109s. That doesn't take long. However you may find that the FW190s have solid black spinners - the solution to that is to copy a prop texture from one of the other models into the AI model texture folder.

You know the rest... Enjoy, ignore, comment as you like. I will still be working on this one, particularly as all my begging and hunting for Opel Blitz meshes have come to nothing, which means that I have to make my own, no matter how utterly ******* it looks as a result. That's why I decided to chuck this onto my site in case anyone has a use for it while I sit and sob in front of gmax.

Link: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/dlw/q1cf/IJP_Q1CF_v0_1.zip

Roger
October 30th, 2010, 12:21
That will do very nicely:ernae:

kilo delta
October 30th, 2010, 12:27
Thanks for your efforts,Ian :salute:. I was wondering what you'd been up to lately :d

IanP
November 2nd, 2010, 12:11
Sorry to drag this one up from page 3, guys (there weren't even any scantily clad young ladies down there... tsk!) but I've had a question that someone here may be able to help with.

Does a Stuka fit in the fighter pen? I drew a Stuka sized box and that fitted - just - but that doesn't say that the dimensions I found on a website were correct, so if anyone has the FCS Ju-87, can you stick it in a fighter pen please and see if anything sticks out?

Thanks.

Ian P.

Mathias
November 2nd, 2010, 12:22
Not really. Post BoB there where all at the med or the eastern front.

IanP
November 2nd, 2010, 13:17
It was more a question of whether it physically fits, rather than whether it would be accurate to put it there.

I actually spent some time researching Stuka bases during the BoB, when I saw the new one was announced, but there's actually very little about them. I presume they were based alongside Do17s or He111s, rather than fighters, but if someone wants to use Caffiers with a Ju-87, I'm not going to stop them. :)

Ian P.

ijay
November 2nd, 2010, 15:01
Just a quick screenie.
Me likee:ernae:

SADT
November 2nd, 2010, 19:48
Great work Ian, I will download ASAP! :salute:

res non verba
November 3rd, 2010, 09:09
excelent work as always Ian, thanks!

:ernae: