PDA

View Full Version : Good and bad news!

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 15:45
Well, I found out today what my first duty station will be!

Don't know what unit yet, but I don't think there are many there.

I'm going to Fort Polk. http://quartermoonsaloon.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

And Fort Polk is the bad news.

I'm sorry, Louisiana, but I hate seafood. I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather. I hate country music. I don't like bayou music. And apparently there's jack crap to do there as well - all the cadre I've talked to say it's the worst Army post.

Most of our guys are going to Fort Riley or Fort Lewis (lucky guys for Lewis). One got Brandenburg, couple got Knox, one got Bragg and a few others got something else - can't recall.

Well - here's hoping it's not so bad. I might get with the 10th Mountain in the 5-25 FA.

Dangerousdave26
October 29th, 2010, 15:54
About 4.5 years ago I was taught a lifes lesson...

Never say you don't want to live somewhere because that is where you will go.

For years I had been saying I have no desire to go to/live in Florida or California.

I have always hated the hot weather. I love the cold and snow...

So here I sit living in South Florida and I love it.

I adapted to the hot weather much better than I thought I would.

I do use caution when I am out. Lots of animals here that can cause a guy harm and the weather can be sneaky.

My advise is don't worry about it. Treat it as just one of life's great adventures and I guarantee you will come out of it with benefits you never would have thought possible.

One more thing

There has to be a ton of stuff to do and see but you will not find it on the well worn trail. Step off the path and go into the Wilds there you will be treated thrills that will cleanse the soul.

Cloud9Gal
October 29th, 2010, 15:54
Hey Jordan~

Probably not what you want to hear, but, as corny as it might sound, everything happens for a reason. You are "meant" to be stationed there for a while...

Just believe my friend. Best of Luck to you!!

And I'm also proud of you!
http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/472/472169vh12cujfeh.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Bone
October 29th, 2010, 15:59
If Polk still has the Hind helicopters there, maybe you'll get a ride in one and it'll be worth it.

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 16:25
South Carolina in August-October was bad enough! I was nearly a heat casualty a few times. I sweat like there's no tomorrow - and humidity... Not to mention the bugs. :(

This place is even further south. And more humid - and you have to worry about Hurricanes. Ugh.

djscoo
October 29th, 2010, 16:31
Well, it's not hot or humid right now, so you got lucky in that sense. How long are you stationed in one place?

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 16:32
I don't know how long yet, but it sounds like my best bet would be to winter there to avoid the nasty weather in the summer and hope to get deployed before the bad weather starts.

Good news is Mardi Gras is Feb 16th in 2011 - my birthday is February 12th.

djscoo
October 29th, 2010, 16:38
New Orleans is probably 3 or 4 hours away, but it's for sure worth seeing.

TARPSBird
October 29th, 2010, 16:57
I don't know how long yet, but it sounds like my best bet would be to winter there to avoid the nasty weather in the summer and hope to get deployed before the bad weather starts.
Cybr,
If you end up assigned to 4th Brigade, 10th Mountain you may be wintering in a more remote and less hospitable location than Ft. Polk. My son's a SSG assigned to 2/30 IN and they're deploying to the Afghan, I assume with the entire brigade which would include 5-25 FA.

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 16:59
Yeah, they say Afghan winters, especially up north, suck big-time.

I don't mind cold - granted, I've never dealt with that kind of cold, but I tolerate the cold a lot better than the heat.

Panther_99FS
October 29th, 2010, 17:00
I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather.

You'd better start getting used to this stuff ;)

Willy
October 29th, 2010, 17:16
Like I said over at QMS... Baton Rouge, LSU, college girls. Lot's of good time potential right there.

Roadburner440
October 29th, 2010, 17:23
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I will tell you this with my 7 years in the military, and I am sure some of the retired guys will back me up on this. Your duty station really is what you make of it. I have been to commands that I have heard a lot of horror stories about. I have managed to survive/thrive at said commands by having a positive attitude, and good work ethic. Also as far as the area itself being bad that to has its up's and down's. While you are low in rank you will not have to much free cash to spend, so it gives you an oppertunity to save some money while also advancing in rank/career. So that way when you do transfer and get to one of the desired duty stations you will be able to live better than you otherwise would have. I see so many come out of RTC (boot camp), and A-school. They come to my command for their first tour (which is shore duty), and then they are always broke like 3 days after payday cause they are all over the town. Not saying you would do that, but that is just part of the way it is. I remember when I was in A-school and only bringing in about $430 every 2 weeks. Money came, and was gone within days. Was a long boring wait sitting in the barracks till I got paid again. Hopefully this helps you feel slightly better. I really hope you get there, and that it is not what you have heard, but better. One of the crappiest places I have been to (not stationed) was Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina. While the area is small (only thing I managed to find was a Wal-Mart, Outback Steakhouse, and 2 bars), the base is actually pretty awesome, and one of the best bases I have ever been on other than the Air Force bases.

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 17:24
But I'm a Buckeye! I can't mingle with the enemy!

Willy
October 29th, 2010, 17:28
But I'm a Buckeye! I can't mingle with the enemy!

Those Louisiana gals can get you over that in no time... :d.

CybrSlydr
October 29th, 2010, 17:30
They would have to be supremely convincing. I'm a die-hard Buckeye.

OBIO
October 29th, 2010, 17:53
Cybr,
If you end up assigned to 4th Brigade, 10th Mountain you may be wintering in a more remote and less hospitable location than Ft. Polk. My son's a SSG assigned to 2/30 IN and they're deploying to the Afghan, I assume with the entire brigade which would include 5-25 FA.

My nephew is with the 10th Mountain..not sure what Brigade. He is currently at Fort Drum, New York. After 16 or 17 months in Iraq, he came home and completed Air Assault training (1st in his class!). His enlistment is up in January or February....he isn't sure if he will re-up or not. With the economy the way it is, he sees re-upping as a secure job...but with his unit/division/what have you quickly approaching the top of the list to deploy to Afghanistan, he sees re-upping as dancing with a bullet.

OBIO

Meshman
October 29th, 2010, 18:22
They would have to be supremely convincing. I'm a die-hard Buckeye.

Hoping you like college football and the Horseshoe can be a pretty nice place to play, especially for us USC fans... sorry!

But there ain't nothing like college football in the south and if you ever get a chance to go to Baton Rouge on a Saturday, you'll see what I mean.

Start liking Nascar! Them good ole boys will take a liking to you and invite your over for crawfish contests.

Lest anyone think I'm picking on the rednecks from the Bayou state, Shreveport was where my father was born. :wavey:

CADFather
October 29th, 2010, 20:45
I spent a little time at Polk several years ago, and trust me there are a lot of worse places to be stationed in the military right now.

CAD

Railrunner130
October 30th, 2010, 04:16
I've been TDY to many, many places. In all of it, each has good points and bad. You can have a good time no matter where you go. It all depends on your attitude. Good people makes a difference too.

Cazzie
October 30th, 2010, 08:43
Polk's a good place Cybr. you could have gotten the desert in NC, Bragg, or God forbid, Ft. Riley, KS. You see a tree in Kansas, you've seen one of their national forests. :>)

Proud of you mate, you haven't lived until you've gone to a Marti Gras.

Caz

luckydog
October 30th, 2010, 09:23
Ft. Bliss, in El Paso TX. wins my vote for "armpit".

Willy
October 30th, 2010, 13:04
Naval Station Norfolk has my armpit vote.

CybrSlydr
October 31st, 2010, 11:10
Heard on the grapevine that the 4th Brigade, 10th Mountain (my most likely unit) deployed to Afghanistan 2 weeks ago - most likely I'll join them in January for a year tour.

txnetcop
October 31st, 2010, 11:25
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I will tell you this with my 7 years in the military, and I am sure some of the retired guys will back me up on this. Your duty station really is what you make of it. I have been to commands that I have heard a lot of horror stories about. I have managed to survive/thrive at said commands by having a positive attitude, and good work ethic. Also as far as the area itself being bad that to has its up's and down's. While you are low in rank you will not have to much free cash to spend, so it gives you an oppertunity to save some money while also advancing in rank/career. So that way when you do transfer and get to one of the desired duty stations you will be able to live better than you otherwise would have. I see so many come out of RTC (boot camp), and A-school. They come to my command for their first tour (which is shore duty), and then they are always broke like 3 days after payday cause they are all over the town. Not saying you would do that, but that is just part of the way it is. I remember when I was in A-school and only bringing in about $430 every 2 weeks. Money came, and was gone within days. Was a long boring wait sitting in the barracks till I got paid again. Hopefully this helps you feel slightly better. I really hope you get there, and that it is not what you have heard, but better. One of the crappiest places I have been to (not stationed) was Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina. While the area is small (only thing I managed to find was a Wal-Mart, Outback Steakhouse, and 2 bars), the base is actually pretty awesome, and one of the best bases I have ever been on other than the Air Force bases.

Cyber don't sweat it buddy. You learn everything you can to stay alert and alive. Make friends with the guys that take the job serious and learn from them. I made it through two really rough tours of Nam with an Airborne unit that just gravitated to trouble. They were great guys and I had the pleasure of a great First Sergeant and CO who became a life-long friends up until their deaths a few years ago. Roadrunner is right. Attitude is everything in a bad situation. Like General Hal Moore said, "there is always one more thing you can do for success over your enemy." Never Never Never give up! Hang tough buddy and you will get through.
Ted
You'll be in my prayers-that's a promise!
By the way they sent our unit along with the Big Red One to Fort Riley after my tours were over. I hated Junction City but I loved Manhattan and went to college there while in service at KSU. The girls were awesome!

safn1949
November 1st, 2010, 08:50
Stop complaining...I was there in 1974 before air conditioning and living in wooden barracks from WW 2.In July and August....for basic training....and because I was going to Germany they put me in the 82nd and 101st Airborne platoon.With 2 drill Sgt's,1 from the 82nd and 1 from the 5th Special Forces,both Nam vets.

They ran us to death.:jump:

They were also 2 of the greatest men I have ever had the honor of knowing,SSG Upchurch and SSG Adams.

David_L6
November 1st, 2010, 13:02
I'm sorry, Louisiana, but I hate seafood.

^^^^ That boy thar must be a communist or somethin'....

I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather. And apparently there's jack crap to do there as well - all the cadre I've talked to say it's the worst Army post.

I hope that it doesn't turn out to be as bad as you think it's going to be. It is hot down here. It is humid down here. I hate to tell you this but I'm gonna be honest with you... I've been through Leesville (never hung out there though). Didn't appear to me that there was much to it. Hopefully I'm wrong about that last part. I've been to some small towns before, back when I was working construction, that surprised me.

Look at it this way. You won't be all that far from New Orleans (4 hours or so) and even closer to Baton Rouge (~ 3 hours) if you can get a couple of days off.

Henry
November 3rd, 2010, 05:49
look on the bright side
yo will be close to me:salute::salute:
LOL
its not that bad
H

HouseHobbit
November 3rd, 2010, 06:04
Ft Polk, Not the worst place, My Dad did His time there during the korean war, and as he put it, Polk was alot better then Korea..

I was at the worse station in the army in Europe after nam' and Baumholder was the Most hated place in europe..
But Baumholder like Polk was what I made of it.

Baumholder was called the rock, for good reason, in the middle of nothing, and with No entertainement except for the nasty American bars in Baumholder, full of rip off experts and Whores..
But it was alot better then Nam..

Make the best of it form some good friendships and it will be well..
I still have in my life one of my friends, now more a Brother then friend after 37 years together..
I did the service for His Wife who passed last week and did the marriage service for his Daughter..
A family we are now, and I would never trade my time with Him for the world..
So the worse can become the Best, Just find the Good folks and hang with them and all shall be well..
BRAVO..

:salute: :salute: :salute:

wombat666
November 3rd, 2010, 07:29
Yeah, they say Afghan winters, especially up north, suck big-time.
I don't mind cold - granted, I've never dealt with that kind of cold, but I tolerate the cold a lot better than the heat.

'Adaptation' is rule 101 in the Military, at least you're not getting shot at.
Yet!
:173go1:

Henry
November 3rd, 2010, 09:06
'Adaptation' is rule 101 in the Military, at least you're not getting shot at.
Yet!
:173go1:
just do not go to a LSU vs ole miss game:173go1::173go1:
H

Navy Chief
November 3rd, 2010, 09:20
Here's my two cents.

Make the best of wherever you are stationed. Experience ALL that you can, while you can. Years from now, you will not regret those choices.

Much as I hated living onboard aircraft carriers, I wish I had experienced more while I was on them. Too late now. I cherish the memories of my time in the service; both good and bad. It was all part of that time in my life.....

Enjoy your youth, and all that goes with it, my friend.

Good luck!

NC

Henry
November 3rd, 2010, 12:11
Here's my two cents.

Make the best of wherever you are stationed. Experience ALL that you can, while you can. Years from now, you will not regret those choices.

Much as I hated living onboard aircraft carriers, I wish I had experienced more while I was on them. Too late now. I cherish the memories of my time in the service; both good and bad. It was all part of that time in my life.....

Enjoy your youth, and all that goes with it, my friend.

Good luck!

NC

with that i agree
one never knows what the next day will bring
life is a path that we all go down
just dodge the skeeters
H

Panther_99FS
November 3rd, 2010, 16:50
Here's my two cents.

Well said Chief! :salute:

redriver6
November 3rd, 2010, 17:37
Well, I found out today what my first duty station will be!

Don't know what unit yet, but I don't think there are many there.

I'm going to Fort Polk. http://quartermoonsaloon.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

And Fort Polk is the bad news.

I'm sorry, Louisiana, but I hate seafood. I hate hot weather. I hate humid weather. I hate country music. I don't like bayou music. And apparently there's jack crap to do there as well - all the cadre I've talked to say it's the worst Army post.

Most of our guys are going to Fort Riley or Fort Lewis (lucky guys for Lewis). One got Brandenburg, couple got Knox, one got Bragg and a few others got something else - can't recall.

Well - here's hoping it's not so bad. I might get with the 10th Mountain in the 5-25 FA.

well it probably won't be as bad as you think...yeah its hot and humid in the summer but the winters are mild...which is why alot of retired yankees move down here:icon_lol:

as far as stuff to do...get yourself an orv and knock yerself out:ernae:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/kisatchie/images/Brochures/OHV_Meeting_Brochures/Kisatchie_RD/Sandstone_Trail_Brochure.pdf

David_L6
November 4th, 2010, 07:36
well it probably won't be as bad as you think...yeah its hot and humid in the summer but the winters are mild...which is why alot of retired yankees move down here:icon_lol:

as far as stuff to do...get yourself an orv and knock yerself out:ernae:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/kisatchie/images/Brochures/OHV_Meeting_Brochures/Kisatchie_RD/Sandstone_Trail_Brochure.pdf

There ya go! Buy a 4 wheeler and have some fun. Give me a shout and my son and I will bring our 4 wheelers down and ride with you.

Jagdflieger
November 4th, 2010, 17:30
I've been to Fort Polk a few times on Joint Regional Training Center (JRTC) rotations and pre-deployment training. I once got into a nest of chiggers there and was so bitten up that I had to be pulled from the exercise.

If you can somehow get a slot at the OPFOR unit there, the 509 Parachute Infantry, you could then get a slot at jump school.

Bone
November 4th, 2010, 17:48
How about WOFT

Willy
November 4th, 2010, 17:53
Someone say four wheelers? I'm ready..

Navy Chief
November 4th, 2010, 18:12
My father was stationed for a time at Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, MS, at the beginning of WW2.

He told me stories of the heat, and cottonmouth snakes......

NC