PDA

View Full Version : New version of Dease Lake

Sidney Schwartz
October 28th, 2010, 21:29
Just uploaded to Avsim.com and Flightsim.com. Those of you who enjoyed Beaver Creek should like this on also. Williams Lake is in the pipeline.

Happy flying! :wavey:

OBIO
October 28th, 2010, 22:11
Sidney

Absolutely amazing, or at least based on the screen shots. As close to real life as I have ever seen a FS9 scenery package be. Will have to download it and install it.

Still haven't installed the new Beaver Creek...been enjoying the old one too much.

Tim

edmoore235
October 29th, 2010, 04:02
So cool. Thanks a million!!! Another fine scenery. WooHoo.

Ed

racartron
October 29th, 2010, 04:22
Just took a trip around the strip and rambled through town in my wee Hummer. It's amazing. I did finally crash after passing the little lake in back of the strip. An unmarked sink hole gobbled me up.:engel016:

Talk about total immersion! Thanks so much for all your efforts in makeing the sim so enjoyable.

Terry
October 29th, 2010, 04:58
I don't have UT Canada but I tried it anyway. I suppose that is what causes the brush in the gravel. But if one removes the brush file it still looks good.

Thanks Sid

OleBoy
October 29th, 2010, 05:01
Sidney, your scenery projects are looking better and better. A real nice iteration again

PeteHam
October 29th, 2010, 10:35
I don't have UT Canada but I tried it anyway. I suppose that is what causes the brush in the gravel. But if one removes the brush file it still looks good.

Thanks Sid

The brush is supposed to be there.

When you look at the real pics of the strip , there are lots of weeds and small brush all around.

It's quite over grown in places.

Pete.

Astoroth
October 29th, 2010, 10:39
Very well done, Guys! Thanks!

Brian_Gladden
October 29th, 2010, 10:52
Sweet!!! I was just flying around that strip the other day and I thought how much it needed sprucing up!!!

Slund
October 29th, 2010, 11:09
Great job Sydney. I've spent many days hanging out at the airport in Dease Lake, brings back memories. I used to live in Williams Lake and worked at the airport, if you need any photo's for that scenery development, let me know. I've still got a few friends who work at the airport and might be able to help you out.

Cheers
Shawn

Terry
October 29th, 2010, 11:31
The brush is supposed to be there.

When you look at the real pics of the strip , there are lots of weeds and small brush all around.

It's quite over grown in places.

Pete.

Oops! :icon_lol: Very light traffic I take it.

Sidney Schwartz
October 29th, 2010, 19:51
Thanks so much to everyone for the great comments. We're really pleased that others are enjoying our work. :ernae:

I used to live in Williams Lake and worked at the airport, if you need any photo's for that scenery development, let me know. I've still got a few friends who work at the airport and might be able to help you out.

Cheers
Shawn

Ooooooh! Yes! I'm working on a custom version of the terminal at Williams Lake. I was able to find a couple of photos and would love more. Straight on shots of all four sides would be wonderful...the closer the better. As for the hangers and such, we'll use existing scenery objects, but of course more accurately placed than in the default scenery. Thanks, Shawn...anything you can come up with will be appreciated. :salute:

CG_1976
October 30th, 2010, 00:03
for any painters out there here is the local airline.
http://ntair.ca/index.php/aircraft-details/ (http://ntair.ca/index.php/aircraft-details/cessna-caravan2/)

srgalahad
October 30th, 2010, 09:11
Some of you may remember that NTAir had a serious fire last winter:
http://www.canada.com/news/Gallery+Prince+George+airport+fire/2363668/story.html
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091220/bc_missing_man_fire_091220/20091220/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Dease Lake is the principal settlement along Hwy 37 leading north to the Yukon and was on one of the routes considered for the Alaska Highway (and/or Railway):
1942 - February a final decision was reached regarding the A, B, and C routes for a northern Highway. It will connect the North West Staging Route airfields and bypass the Northern Trench for the joint Canada-Alaska Highway Alcan Highway alternately Alaska Highway. The three routes had been the subject of considerable economic competition between governments and communities since the Klondike Gold Rush. The A route was a Stikine option similar to Highway 37 of today. The B route favors the Trench option. The C route following the airfields east of the Rocky Mountains and then crossing to the west near the Liard River is the chosen route.
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Trench

If things had only been different...
"A factor of probably greater weight was the lack of agreement among all concerned as to the route the Alaska highway ought to take. There were at least four proposed routes, each with its own group of advocates. Pacific coast interests in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia were pressing strongly for a road west of the Stikine Mountains, and it was this route that General Marshall specified in his instructions of 24 June. The Canadian highway commission favored a route farther to the east, through the Rocky Mountain trench; the prairie sections of Canada and the United States favored a third route, east of the Rockies; and the well-known explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson advocated still another, by way of the Peace and Mackenzie Rivers. When General Embick and the War Department veered round to a cautious approval of the route indorsed by General Marshall, none of those advocating other routes followed along. Nor is there evidence that the United States Navy members and the Canadian section of the Permanent Joint Board shifted away from their opposition to any highway irrespective of the route. The Federal Works Agency, sensitive to any suspicion of "boondoggling," was likewise opposed to the project."
http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Framework/ch15.htm
The whole reference is a lengthy read but fascinating as it covers both the Alaska and N. Atlantic ferry routes.

Of course, the best way to fly the area is in period aircraft from the 30's & 40's (at lower altitudes with only NDB navigation) and you'll soon see why there are so many derelict wrecks still littering the hillsides...
http://whitehorsestar.com/archive/history/hey-im-alive-part-1/

Rob

rich12545
October 30th, 2010, 11:05
This is really nice. And it looks like a beautiful area in which to fly. This will be one of my primary start points.

Sidney Schwartz
October 30th, 2010, 12:05
Of course, the best way to fly the area is in period aircraft from the 30's & 40's (at lower altitudes with only NDB navigation) and you'll soon see why there are so many derelict wrecks still littering the hillsides...

There's a couple now... :mixedsmi:

PeteHam
October 30th, 2010, 19:19
There's a couple now... :mixedsmi:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: ..... another pic of Sid and me celerbrating after the completion of another scenery .... :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

adhockey
November 1st, 2010, 19:40
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: ..... another pic of Sid and me celerbrating after the completion of another scenery .... :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Too funny!