PDA

View Full Version : AFCAD Question

T Square
October 25th, 2010, 07:07
I have a couple of AFCAD questions. I know there are two different formats for AFCAD files (the old AFCAD and the new ADE9). First question is I have always kept my AFCAD files in a seperate folder and added it to scenery as a seperate entry. This was in part to help prevent duplicate entries. First question is this a good idea or should they be kept with the scenery packages they came with. Next question: With the new ADE9 format how does one from having duplicate files (If I have a scenery with an AFCAD type file and it is replaced with one with an ADE9 format and placed them in the same AFCAD file I would assume there would then be a duplicate runway and would this then case issues. This having been said how would one solve this or prevent it from happening, considering the large number of files involved. Maybe this is an issue or maybe not since I am doing a re-install I would like to know before I start installing scenery files.

Terry
October 25th, 2010, 07:41
I have a couple of AFCAD questions. I know there are two different formats for AFCAD files (the old AFCAD and the new ADE9). First question is I have always kept my AFCAD files in a seperate folder and added it to scenery as a seperate entry. This was in part to help prevent duplicate entries. First question is this a good idea or should they be kept with the scenery packages they came with. Next question: With the new ADE9 format how does one from having duplicate files (If I have a scenery with an AFCAD type file and it is replaced with one with an ADE9 format and placed them in the same AFCAD file I would assume there would then be a duplicate runway and would this then case issues. This having been said how would one solve this or prevent it from happening, considering the large number of files involved. Maybe this is an issue or maybe not since I am doing a re-install I would like to know before I start installing scenery files.

Having an AFCAD and ADE9 of the same airport will create duplicates. I like to keep them in the scenery folder, it makes them easier to find. I always open AFCAD first when I get a new scenery file because it will show me if there are duplicates. You can open an ADE9 file with AFCAD, but never save it as you will lose the added features that are built into it such as flattening or added objects.

Wing_Z
October 25th, 2010, 11:02
Like most, I keep AFCADs with no specific scenery attached, in \Addon Scenery\scenery.
As my list of addon scenery grew, I put the relevant new AFCADs in that scenery folder.
That way, you can remove an entire scenery (and save it for later use) without legacy AFCADs floating about.
When I put one back, I run a search from Windows Explorer on the airport name to see what lurks on the HDD, and remove any airport info I don't want.
Here and there you will find a scenery that requires a duplicate AFCAD in \Scenery\World\scenery, used to "lock" the base level of the airfield against a stubborn MS stock install.