PDA

View Full Version : Space Ship 2

PRB
October 18th, 2010, 20:10
Just watched a show on the National Geographic channel about Burt Rutan/Virgin “Space Ship 2” flight test. The first flight of the “space ship picker-upper plane” was “interesting” as the nose gear, when down, seems to have seriously affected airflow over the rudders, making the whole thing a bit wobbly about the yaw axis. I guess they got that sorted out. Then the first flight of the actual space ship part went off without a hitch. They dropped that sucker from 40,000 feet, and figured out how to fly it on the way down. Even had time to stall it on purpose once. It's interesting how that ship re-enters the atmosphere. Great idea at Mach 4 or so, which is all they've ever had to deal with so far. But when they get to orbital speeds they'll be coming in at Mach 17-ish. I wonder how they plan on solving that.

Wing_Z
October 18th, 2010, 21:57
Not sure of this, but I thought the plan was to go to 100,000ft only.
It counts as space, but is not orbital.

PRB
October 19th, 2010, 10:33
Yes, but throughout this program they kept talking about thier vision for the future, which involves space hotels in orbit, with "Space Ship 2" looking ships docked and presumably used to fly up to and return from orbit. I'm just wondering how they plan to deal with those much higher re-entry speeds.

centuryseries
October 19th, 2010, 10:48
Not sure of this, but I thought the plan was to go to 100,000ft only.
It counts as space, but is not orbital.

I thought the altitude was much higher than that, more in the region of 360,000 feet where space officially starts. :salute: At least thats what the X-Prize altitude to meet the $$ was.

I think they'll deal with orbital flights just as soon as (if it ever does) sub-orbital trips prove successful commercially. Still not affordable enough for me given that you only spend 7 minutes in zero G lol.

Wing_Z
October 19th, 2010, 11:16
I meant 100,000 metres, (=100km, 62miles)
That's where space "officially" starts, and was the X-Prize target.
I've never heard any talk of the present crop of Virgin "Spaceships" going higher.

That makes them a toy for the rich, really.
I don't think I'd spring $100k for that trip yet.
But air travel was a luxury too, some years ago.

Branson is a visionary , and Rutan a genius.
Who knows where they might go in the future?

Lionheart
October 19th, 2010, 11:42
Presently, from what I know, the Virgin Galactic Type 2 has no manuvering jets or rockets, so they wouldnt be able to 'aim' their trajectories. Presently, again if I am correct, it is just for hauling people to the edge of space for 10 or 20 min's of weightlessness, which hopefully by that time, the craft has begun its fall back into Atmo.

I am sure that Rutan, and perhaps even Sir Branson are toying with a vehicle that can dock with the Station. If I am correct (again, if...) the Station is VERY high up and would take a very long flight to get to it. I believe the Shuttle takes a full day (24 hours or more? ) to get to it, and at terrific speed (17,000 MPH+).

On a side note, which I am sure everyone has now heard, President Obamma has just signed a bill and plan for NASA to be able to use outside services/sources to hire 'rides' to the Space Station, which will set up anyone that can make a safe craft to get to the station and back.

This will be an entirely new business future and will open things up.

Imagine a Hilton in orbit, and another on the Moon..?! Imagine getting your 'space tickets' online from the Virgin website.

centuryseries
October 20th, 2010, 10:00
Presently, from what I know, the Virgin Galactic Type 2 has no manuvering jets or rockets, so they wouldnt be able to 'aim' their trajectories. Presently, again if I am correct, it is just for hauling people to the edge of space for 10 or 20 min's of weightlessness, which hopefully by that time, the craft has begun its fall back into Atmo.

I am sure that Rutan, and perhaps even Sir Branson are toying with a vehicle that can dock with the Station. If I am correct (again, if...) the Station is VERY high up and would take a very long flight to get to it. I believe the Shuttle takes a full day (24 hours or more? ) to get to it, and at terrific speed (17,000 MPH+).

On a side note, which I am sure everyone has now heard, President Obamma has just signed a bill and plan for NASA to be able to use outside services/sources to hire 'rides' to the Space Station, which will set up anyone that can make a safe craft to get to the station and back.

This will be an entirely new business future and will open things up.

Imagine a Hilton in orbit, and another on the Moon..?! Imagine getting your 'space tickets' online from the Virgin website.

If the Spaceship2 is anything like the design of Spaceship1 (apart from the high wing, now low wing design) the SS1 had some kind of pressurised air reaction control jets to slow spinning and pitching movements.

I agree though, it's all well and good getting up to 62 miles, but re-entry from proper orbit will destroy these craft.

Mickey D
October 20th, 2010, 11:42
If the Spaceship2 is anything like the design of Spaceship1 (apart from the high wing, now low wing design) the SS1 had some kind of pressurised air reaction control jets to slow spinning and pitching movements.

I agree though, it's all well and good getting up to 62 miles, but re-entry from proper orbit will destroy these craft.

Hey Century how are you doing post AS ? ;) You are forgetting the Virgin Magnmolecular Inverter (TM) which by harnessing the gravitational energy of the Earth's core slows the craft from 17.000 mph to 100 mph in 10.6 secs. It then brings the Galactic Type 2 back to Earth in a controlled freefall like an autumn leaf. Only one problem. Sir Branson's chaps haven't invented it yet.

Lionheart
October 20th, 2010, 13:24

CenturySeries

Thanks CS. I didnt know that.

but re-entry from proper orbit will destroy these craft.

CenturySeries

I always liked that 'air braking' concept from the movie '2010, The Odyssee Continues'.

Have a ceramic balloon disc thing that inflates behind the craft and acts like a parachute. The wind buffeting would keep it behind the craft and would act like a decellerator. Perhaps though, you need the craft 'behind' it to shield if from intense heat, so perhaps that wouldnt work. If the balloon disc was huge enough though, perhaps it wouldnt need to be in front of the craft and would act like a giant chute. Just hope the cables dont shear on re-entry.

EDIT: As I think about it, if you can accellerate to orbital speed via the primary engine, then why not decellerate to a super slow speed also, and then drop in 'conventional Rutan re-entry style'... ? Just have to save a solid propellant engine for the decel.

If you could have a rotary 'slide' engine change out in the main engine assembly (slide out the burnt cartidege, moving sideways through the casing, placing the new engine core in, lock, load, fire). That might work.

Tom Clayton
October 20th, 2010, 16:00
I think weight would be the biggest issue in something like that. I think conventional heat shielding is here to stay - at least for the foreseeable future.