PDA

View Full Version : Mayday! Mayday! Flt-Sim Down!!

Rubberlegs
October 18th, 2010, 08:49
Thanks for answering my call for help...! After 6 years of running a pretty well trouble free FS-9...my system took a complete nose-dive. Have stripped the system back to the stone age by removing every FS File/Folder and starting clean. Have re-installed FS-9 five different ways over the last week but to no avail.....the problem is simply that the game textures and a/c textures are plastered all over the place...everything looks like my grandmothers quilts! Buildings that are covered in trees, lakes popin' up on mtn tops and AC with psycho-paint schemes. Same problem with every re-install.......In my frustration...what am I missing here? Any ideas as to what the problem may be and/or how to fix it?
Any and all advise appreciated...!

Signed
Walt (GROUNDED)
Fly High..Punch Holes in the Sky

johnh_049
October 18th, 2010, 09:48
sounds like maybe a graphic card problem?

Rubberlegs
October 18th, 2010, 10:51
sounds like maybe a graphic card problem?

Good thought there johnH-049
..so just did a test 'straight-from-the-box' install of my CFS-2 and booted up ok and no problems with the graphics..mind you...CFS-2 may not put as much of a demand on my Graphics card as does FS-9. later tonight when I have time will try the same with FS-X and see how that Sim works. If it runs okay then that should indicate the graphics-card is ok. Then have to look at an 'error' somewhere in my (ugh!) Windows XP.

Thanks for the suggestion

Walt (still grounded)

Tom Clayton
October 18th, 2010, 12:51
When you uninstalled, did you make sure to delete any leftover files? The obvious thing first is to make sure that the original root install folder (Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9) is completely gone. The other one is hidden though and some people forget that one. Enable hidden files/folders via Folder Options > Views tab, then browse to C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft and delete the FS9 folder in there too.

Z-claudius24
October 18th, 2010, 14:14
Hi,

That can help !

AVSIM

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Miscellaneous Files (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fs2004misc) Uninstalling & Reinstalling FS2004 - Some Tips and Tricks http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=123907) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=123907) http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=208455 File Description:
Uninstalling and Reinstalling FS2004 - Some Tips and Tricks. Sooner or later almost everyone will be faced with the need or desire to uninstall FS2004 and do a clean reinstallation. This offering - in .doc and .pdf formats - outlines the procedures with the goal of making the entire process as painless and fool-proof as possible. The recommendations are based on my personal experience and the experience of many others. There may be some important items which you have never considered. Please unzip to a tempory folder. Compiled for your flying enjoyment by David "Opa" Marshall.

Filename: uninstall_install_tips_and_tricks.zip License: Freeware Added: 29th June 2008 Downloads: 4475 Author: David "Opa" Marshall Size: 61kb

Rubberlegs
October 18th, 2010, 16:48
Found that 'hidden' FS-9 file you were talking about ,Tom! Also found a few extra ones that I had missed previously.. did a reboot and re-install 'right-from-the-box' again (no addons or extras ) unfortunately the textures are still 'bouncing about". Interestingly, both my clean installs of CFS-2 and FS-X work fine..only FS-9 has the 'sickness'..ha!

Also downloaded the 'help' file suggested by 'Claudius24'.....have read it throughly and feel I have followed the process as described. Had my mind buried in this for a week now..so think I'll take a break for a couple of days and come back a-fresh for one more 'kick-at-the-can' to get FS-9 back and running smooth.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Walt

aeromed202
October 18th, 2010, 18:00
Just saw this one. How is it going? By system fail do you mean the whole computer or just FS9? If the whole thing went, depending on what happened you may be in for some component replacements.

I have no answer but if the texture files all got altered, like flipping them from bmp to DTX would that cause this to happen? There are those little tools to convert texture files and I tried that with a handful of building files to see if my FPS went up. Instead, after a minute or so in that area the image would flicker then all textures went flat browns and greens, no detail at all. But trees on buildings? Did your computer suddenly channel Rod Serling?

Just read the Tips and Tricks and it looks well thought out to me.

Motormouse
October 19th, 2010, 02:00
When you uninstalled, did you make sure to delete any leftover files? The obvious thing first is to make sure that the original root install folder (Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9) is completely gone. The other one is hidden though and some people forget that one. Enable hidden files/folders via Folder Options > Views tab, then browse to C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft and delete the FS9 folder in there too.

In the folder, C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings delete contents of your temp folder, its' where the fs9 cache is stashed; if cache wasn't cleared at end of last session you'll just be re-using same

ttfn

Pete

Rubberlegs
October 23rd, 2010, 13:21
Still "no-joy!!"..sorry to say. Have tried a few additional re-installs but textures still "Wonkie!"
Guru friend says it is an imbedded error in my Windows system (duh! Whatever that entails!) Will run CFS2 but not my Sim of choice and this old machine from the get-go couldn't handle FSX without having FR's below 10-11. Additionally I have a 'matter-of-principle' issue with using FSX due to the way MS has marketed their product. the end result is I have re-opened my old
Flight-Sim "Slush Fund" and by Feb/11 should be able to get a new "Zigger Machine" and get back in the game. In the mean time..will have to spend more time in my hobby room scratch building planes ,cars, tanks.

Thanks gain to those who aswered my call for help..much appreciated.

Walt