PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Ops Follies

Willy
October 16th, 2010, 19:03
I got to thinking about things this afternoon and it's been a few years since I messed with bird farms much. I used to be a pretty good hand at carrier landings at one time. So I spent a couple of hours going through my carrier collection making sure they were up to snuff. I had to redo the AFCADs for the old ARRCAB carriers set to get them up to date, but nothing major.

So after supper, I hopped in my favorite carrier aircraft (a much modified AlphaSim F7F) and proceeded with carrier ops retraining on the USS John F Kennedy off of Florida....

Willy
October 16th, 2010, 19:05
I did pretty good the first few times and then got a bit cocky. That was when the JFK jumped up and bit me. First with a really hard landing that I was surprised didn't turn into a crash and then on the next trap, I stuffed the Tigercat into the stern....

Willy
October 16th, 2010, 19:10
So I got to thinking about things while the crew held sweepers on what was left of the F7F and decided that maybe a smaller deck would be better. So I switched to the USS Lexington CVT-16 off of Pensacola. I did good enough that I got brave and switched to the USS Langley CV-1. That's a hard deck to hit and I soon decided to move over to Pearl Harbor where I've got the USS Lexington CV-2 and USS Saratoga CV-3.

I had a pretty good round trip going between the Lex and Sara, until I hit a bit hard again and messed up my landing gear.

I'll get the hang of it again, just takes some work and practice. And it's fun besides....

Willy
October 16th, 2010, 22:38
I've started operating under the idea that if I can consistently land on a small deck, then the big ones shouldn't be a problem. So, I moved up to MAAM's USS Langley CVL-28. This is the first time that I've done any flying off of it to speak of, and I'm impressed with this Langley. Great detail and easier on the frames than the Langley CV-1 that I've got in other locations. The deck seems to be close to the same size as well.

I did crash once on a landing early on, but after a couple of approaches, it's getting easier. Although I'm still slamming the F7F down pretty hard every now and then.

falcon409
October 17th, 2010, 06:44
Willy, I redid the exterior and interior textures for the Tigercat a while back, if you want them, I can send them to you. I'm flying her in FSX and the textures are oversized, but I keep all the original layered textures just in case, so I can save them to any size and format.

Willy
October 17th, 2010, 11:40
Falcon, check your PMs.

I bought the Tigercat when AlphaSim first brought the FS9 version out. My first payware purchase for FS. I've tweaked it so much in the past six years that I don't recollect what all I've done to it. I do know that I've had a "suspension guru" redo the landing gear to fix the weak gear. I've completely redone the panel, setting it up for a RTWR run. I'm thinking that the FDE I'm using now is Fliger747's that he did for it with the exception of the contact points. Adapted the exhaust flames effect by Krazy that was done for the D-ware P-51B too.

The paint is the stock paint that came with it that I "removed" the emblems from. The plain look just appeals to me. Also good for those "black ops" when you want to go incognito.

I really need to start flying it more often.

falcon409
October 17th, 2010, 14:07
Falcon, check your PMs.

I bought the Tigercat when AlphaSim first brought the FS9 version out. My first payware purchase for FS. I've tweaked it so much in the past six years that I don't recollect what all I've done to it. I do know that I've had a "suspension guru" redo the landing gear to fix the weak gear. I've completely redone the panel, setting it up for a RTWR run. I'm thinking that the FDE I'm using now is Fliger747's that he did for it with the exception of the contact points. Adapted the exhaust flames effect by Krazy that was done for the D-ware P-51B too.

The paint is the stock paint that came with it that I "removed" the emblems from. The plain look just appeals to me. Also good for those "black ops" when you want to go incognito.

I really need to start flying it more often.
Already sent, but honestly Willy, you won't want anything I sent. My repaint is an updated/sharper version of the default with all the insignias and such and the panel isn't as good as yours and is made to fit the original gauge layout.:salute: