PDA

View Full Version : FsX Bloom on and no frame rate loss!

Roger
October 12th, 2010, 15:11
I haven't had FsX's own bloom on for maybe 2 years as the frame rate hit was great but I decided to give it a go tonight. With the "No bufferpools" tweak and the latest Nvidia drivers I can run Bloom with seemingly no frame rate loss. I'm fixed at 25 fps and in these 2 shots over FTX PNW the lowest fps was 24. Both attempts with Piglet's Peculiars:ernae:
Doesn't work with port-overs so must need native material!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/bloom-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/bloom-1.jpg

Roger
October 12th, 2010, 15:40
It's a great effect when it doesn't slow your pc to a slide show.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/bloom-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/bloom-4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/bloom-5.jpg

beana51
October 12th, 2010, 15:43
.......21213 .ICARUS getting a sendoff on his SOLO flight by DAEDALUS!
However!..No Shirttail cutting for the event!!..I guess thats obvous!!....................:wiggle:

Thank you Sir!....Will at once try this...a great feature often denied us....Fantistic Pics..Cheers!!...Vin!!

warchild
October 12th, 2010, 16:05
That Pasped looks incredible.. :) Thank you ...

Dain Arns
October 12th, 2010, 16:24
Just take the bufferpools line out of the config?

Nevermind, located the information.
No changes for me. (well, maybe....It's late, need to test this more in the a.m.)

James
October 12th, 2010, 16:42
Just take the bufferpools line out of the config?

But what else will that affect? Also, would converting the textures named in the suneffect.cfg file to .dds files help?

grunau_baby
October 12th, 2010, 23:56
Actually I turned my bloom on latelely, too. I do never check my framerates, but - even on my older system - I feel no loss of fps. And I still have the bufferpool entry in my cfg. I am actually afraid removing it might ruin it again, but I will try it out anyway!

Alex

Daube
October 13th, 2010, 01:23
The impact of the bloom depends also if you are in DirectX9 or DirectX10 mode.
In DX10, there is a much smaller impact than in DX9.

Roger
October 13th, 2010, 04:17

I'm in DX9 these days, hence my surprise:mixedsmi:

noddy
October 13th, 2010, 04:45
Roger,

What driver are you using?

James
October 13th, 2010, 05:08

ahhhh...I'm in DX9. It drops me down to about 3 fps...of course, my rig can barely handle FSX as it is... :gameoff:

Daube
October 13th, 2010, 05:19
In DX9 mode with a GTX480, the bloom effect will eat at least 10 to 15 FPS.
I suppose it might be linked to the NHancer settings as well...

Dain Arns
October 13th, 2010, 05:21
The "No BufferPools" tweak did not work for me.
Too many graphic artifacts, and Bloom cut my fps in half, as usual.
However I found this "RejectThreshold" tweak over on the REX forum, which is a surprisingly good alternative:

http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=9958.0

I have the same adjustments as the author of that post, and getting 30+ fps in PNW, where I was hitting low 20's, with a lot of detail on.
In addition, I am able to use Bloom as well, with the "RejectThreshold" tweak instead, with just a slight loss in fps.

Thanks for creating this post, Roger.
FSX right now is looking the best it ever has for me!
Happy I can finally use Bloom!:jump:

grunau_baby
October 13th, 2010, 06:25
Well, just tried it: I did feel a slight increase in fps only, but after removing the entry I got the usual gentle stutters when paning in outside view. So this is a no go for me.

Surprisingly Bloom does not effect my fps as much as I feared, so it will stay on I guess, but just donīt need any stutter when admiring my flying skills;)

Still thanks, Roger. It was worth a trial, cause it really slightly enhanced my fps.
Alex

Roger
October 13th, 2010, 10:15
Roger,

What driver are you using?

258.96 from the Nvidia site Noddy.

Roger
October 13th, 2010, 10:17
Well, just tried it: I did feel a slight increase in fps only, but after removing the entry I got the usual gentle stutters when paning in outside view. So this is a no go for me.

Surprisingly Bloom does not effect my fps as much as I feared, so it will stay on I guess, but just donīt need any stutter when admiring my flying skills;)

Still thanks, Roger. It was worth a trial, cause it really slightly enhanced my fps.
Alex

Alex, it almost seems like every individual pc needs it's own custom settings however the new drivers had made a difference in smoothness to my set-up.

noddy
October 13th, 2010, 12:43
Thanks Roger, yep that what I am using, have to give it a go.

James
October 13th, 2010, 13:34
Can I set FSX up so that the only part of the bloom effects are the glints off of the side of the airplanes?

sorry if that was a bit wordy, lol

Roger
October 13th, 2010, 13:42
Can I set FSX up so that the only part of the bloom effects are the glints off of the side of the airplanes?

sorry if that was a bit wordy, lol

Not that I know of James, it's just an on or off switch.

James
October 13th, 2010, 14:05
ok...also, I am somewhat of a newbie at this; but I cannot find the [bufferpools] section in fsx.cfg. Sorry if this is a duh, you idiot question, but is something wrong with the file?

Roger
October 13th, 2010, 14:09
ok...also, I am somewhat of a newbie at this; but I cannot find the [bufferpools] section in fsx.cfg. Sorry if this is a duh, you idiot question, but is something wrong with the file?

James, these are additions to the FsX.cfg and the thread is here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=34661

But be wary of changing anything. Always make a backup of the cfg.

Sundog
October 13th, 2010, 22:33
Wow, this is amazing. My system is really good and designed for OC'ing by txtnetcop and harleyman, but I haven't OC'ed it yet. I'm somewhat timid in that regard. Not that my system couldn't handle it, but that I would mess something up.

But through all of the links on these config settings, I set the following

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=2097152
RejectThreshold=262144

[display]
texturemaxload=9

All I can say is, "Wow!" I have damn near everything maxed now, with bloom, and flew over my VFR France scenery, no problem. I then loaded FTX PNW, grabbed the Razbam A-7 and flew both NOE and mid alt over it. At mid alt, I had one or two stutters when in external view and panning around, but overall, the difference was amazing. Thanks for posting those pics, as I missed that early post here about it.

Dain Arns
October 14th, 2010, 05:40
Wow, this is amazing. My system is really good and designed for OC'ing by txtnetcop and harleyman, but I haven't OC'ed it yet. I'm somewhat timid in that regard. Not that my system couldn't handle it, but that I would mess something up.

But through all of the links on these config settings, I set the following

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=2097152
RejectThreshold=262144

[display]
texturemaxload=9

All I can say is, "Wow!" I have damn near everything maxed now, with bloom, and flew over my VFR France scenery, no problem. I then loaded FTX PNW, grabbed the Razbam A-7 and flew both NOE and mid alt over it. At mid alt, I had one or two stutters when in external view and panning around, but overall, the difference was amazing. Thanks for posting those pics, as I missed that early post here about it.

I ended up with similar results using those settings.
"RejectThreshold" was a better alternative on my system.
I also locked at 36 fps, up from 24. I've never been able to set it that high.
(I have to lock, helps prevent the microstutters on my system)

Sundog
October 14th, 2010, 09:00
I ended up with similar results using those settings.
"RejectThreshold" was a better alternative on my system.
I also locked at 36 fps, up from 24. I've never been able to set it that high.
(I have to lock, helps prevent the microstutters on my system)

I have my system locked at 20fps. I'm sure I can up it to at least 24fps. Once I OC it, I'm sure it will easily hit 36fps. I just want to wait until I can sit down and really understand everything before I start tweaking. I have so much going on now, it would just be a distraction. Of course, once I actually do it, I'll be thinking, "Why didn't I do this earlier?" :)