PDA

View Full Version : Freeware FSD T-38 transparency fix

OBIO
October 10th, 2010, 12:50
Earlier today, I was flying the freeware FSD T-38 at dusk and noticed that when the lights were turned on the plane became semi-translucent. I used a couple utilities, did some tweaking to the MDL files and the plane no longer goes translucent when the lights are turned on. Hip Hip Horray!

Now the question I have is this: Does FSD have a restriction that would prevent me from uploading the tweaked MDL files?

A while back I also made some tweaks to the plane to make the canopy glass more visible are more realistically colored. The "new" MDL file fixes the canopy glass issue and the translucency issue.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
October 10th, 2010, 12:58
The question for me is... Where can I get the file?

Also, when a model goes transparent at night, it's usually a missing lightmap. For every xxx_t.bmp, there should be a xxx_l.bmp too.

OBIO
October 10th, 2010, 13:04
The freeware FSD T-38A can be found on Simviation.com. Do a search for T-38 and you will find it, along with a few paints for the plane.

As far as a missing light map texture...the _L thing is an FSDS thing. The FSD T-38 is a Gmax built model and does not have light map textures for the outside of the plane. I found that there was a second LOD thing going on when the lights were turned on...and that second "model" did not receive the reflective texture coding/material assignments. It is all fixed now and works flawlessly.

OBIO

Trans_23
October 10th, 2010, 14:46
They should be happy you fixed it. It is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :icon_lol:
I would upload it.

OBIO
October 10th, 2010, 15:49
I downloaded the original package so I could read FSD's read me file...and it clearly states that uploading modified files without permission is not permitted. So I went to the FSD site and sent them a message outlining the modifications I did to the MDL files, the utilities I used to do those modifications, and my desire to share the modified files with the simming community as freeware items. Hopefully I get a green light from FSD on this matter.

If not, the read me does not cover sharing the files via e-mail attachments with my friends and sim associates.

OBIO

Milton Shupe
October 10th, 2010, 16:29
The freeware FSD T-38A can be found on Simviation.com. Do a search for T-38 and you will find it, along with a few paints for the plane.

As far as a missing light map texture...the _L thing is an FSDS thing. The FSD T-38 is a Gmax built model and does not have light map textures for the outside of the plane. I found that there was a second LOD thing going on when the lights were turned on...and that second "model" did not receive the reflective texture coding/material assignments. It is all fixed now and works flawlessly.

OBIO

Just for clarification, the _t and _L applies to gmax aircraft as well. Whether or not they are required depends on the Makemdl settings when the model is exported. If "HasLightMap" is checked, the _L maps are required for any bmp ending with _t. Many gmax designers do not use the feature but some do. I did for years. The issue with using it aside from requiring the _L maps is that chrome goes gray at dusk.

The _L maps are still used for light enhancements, for example, the VC gauge backlighting and cabin light effects, even if the "HasLightMaps" is not selected.

Tom Clayton
October 10th, 2010, 17:55
I just downloaded the package and I think I found the texture issue. The "texture.1" and texture.randolf" folders are missing several different textures that are included in the "texture" folder. So what I did was to copy all of the files in the "texture" folder and than paste them into the other two, clicking No when prompted to overwrite. After that, each folder should have 19 texture files, plus the cfg file.

OBIO
October 10th, 2010, 21:57
Tom

The FSD T-38 came with a Paint Configuration utility that would automatically place the "missing" textures into the Randolph texture folder. They left them out to reduce the size of the package a bit. I have had the "missing" textures in place since the day I downloaded and installed the plane over a year ago....the issue with the plane going transparent when the lights were turned on was a matter of material assignments...the model for the plane with the lights on did not have reflective texturing as part of the material...so, when the lights were turned on, the alpha channel in the texture sheet would cause the non-reflective model to be semi-translucent. In order to fix this, I had to use Ivan Hsu's MDLC 117 to assign reflective texture coding to every single material in the MDL files, then use a hex editor to remove the reflective texture coding from those parts of the plane that would not work right with the coding there, ie..the VC panel.

I will be packaging up the tweaked MDL files and will have them ready to upload as soon as I get the green light from FSD to do so.....or to e-mail to any interested parties....just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them to you. DO NOT PUT YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS IN THIS THREAD!

OBIO

Blackbird686
October 11th, 2010, 08:28
I believe that if the model was released as freeware to the public domain, then FSD wouldn't have an issue with you uploading your tweeks and fixes for their T-38. In so long as you include the original read-me in the file with your updated version. But... you're probably smart for checking with them. I'm sure that they would appreciate you taking the time to do that.

BB686:USA-flag:

Tom Clayton
October 11th, 2010, 18:33
I guess I'll take a copy - PM about to be sent...

Drzook
October 11th, 2010, 18:41
PM/request sent. You're the man OBIO!:ernae:

OBIO
October 11th, 2010, 19:08
I need to do a bit more tweaking to the MDL files to correct a couple areas....maybe 5 minutes worth of work. Will be doing that here in just a bit...got to take a walk outdoors (dogs need to potty, I need to smoke). Once I get the MDL files tweaked to 100% perfection, I will send the packages to all those who want them.

And I am working on a paint template for the plane...such a nice plane, but there are very few skins available for it....I have a nice collection of pics to work with and should be able to whip out some nice USAF skins...haven't found any international skins yet, but will look for some.

OBIO

OBIO
October 11th, 2010, 20:19
Found out that the reflections on the cockpit walls and floor were due to an alpha channel issue on the wing texture sheet..not the MDL property settings. So, the MDL files are done, I need to fix the alpha channel on the wing texture sheets...then I can get on with completing the paint template. I think I will redo the stock skins in hi-res 32-bit format with proper alpha channels and all once I get the paint template done.

If anyone wants the MDL files, give me a holler via PM and I will shoot them to ya.

Oh, also working on the effects on the plane. The IRIS heat effect really is sharp on this plane...but a tad oversized....I may monkey with the effect file to reduce the size...if successful will ask IRIS if I can upload the tweaked fx file for use on this plane.

OBIO