46_trap
October 9th, 2010, 16:57
I know there are posts on how to set up cfs3 in win 7. Any help would be great

loverboy1
October 9th, 2010, 18:36
Windows 7 install fix

WINDOW 7 INSTALL

NOTE
Modifying the CFS3.exe comes curtsey of Deadmeat1971. Original instructions can be found here
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=9007 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=9007)
Blacksheep-ghost03 and I have Win7 working in both on and off line sessions but have had to use different means to do so.
These instructions assume that your game is installed on a C:\ partition
Main game folder is located at c:\Programfiles\Microsoftgames\Combat Flight Simulator 3
STEP ONE:
Install CFS3. Choose complete install option. Look for and uncheck the option to place short cut on desktop. Follow the instructions to complete the game install. Once done DO NOT choose run game now. Close all windows and go to desktop. If you have a short cut to CFS3.exe on your desktop delete it. Now browse to your main game folder. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe and select COPY. Go to desktop and select PASTE. The CFS3.exe should now be on your desk top. Right mouse click on it and select rename. Change the name to CFS3win7. Right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe and select CUT, browse to your main game folder and select paste. In the main game folder you should now have two .exe icons. The original one and the new CFS3win7 one. Right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe and go to properties. Select Compatibility. Put a check mark in the “run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select Window XP SP3 in the drop down box.NOTE: This is the only choice that will work. SP2 will not. In privilege level at the bottom select “run this program as administrator” Click apply. Click OK. Now right mouse click on the CFS3win7.exe icon and select Send to and Desktop(created shortcut). Close all windows. You should have an icon on the desktop that is named CFS3win7. Go to properties on this and double check that Windows XP SP3 and administrator settings are selected in compatibility. If they aren’t select them and click OK. Run the game for the first time. If it’s OK then apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required
NOTE
This method worked on my system but not on Blacksheep-ghost03. For his system he applied step 2 which involves applying the same settings but to the original CFS3.exe
Step two
If you have installed the game as above and created the new icon and it doesn’t work or won’t fly in multiplayer, delete the CFS3win7 icon from your desktop. Browse to your main game folder and delete the CFS3win7.exe. You should now have only the original CFS3 .exe in the game folder and no icons on your desktop. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe and follow the same steps as above for compatibility and privilege level. Once done create a shortcut for the CFS3.exe on your desktop. Check that the compatibility and privilege settings are correct. Run the game. If it works apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required.
WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
NOTE
I have Windows 7 64 bit installed. It would not run multi player regardless of the steps performed above and would crash to desktop. Event viewer described an MFC70.DLL error. I browsed and found an old Microsoft article that referred to the same type of issue I was having.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555608 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555608)
I followed the recommended fix. Go to main game folder and delete the OLEACC.DLL file. After doing this my game runs fine and I can host and join multiplayer games.
Hope this works for you too.
Special thanks to Deadmeat1971 and Blacksheep-ghost03 for their contributions

i copied and pasted this for you from above theresa link from a fellow simmer ...i did set up on my wifes system she just got windows 7- it works well

46_trap
October 10th, 2010, 03:46
Followed instructions. after a couple of hours, I found that it was for 64 bit instalation. I have it running on win7 32 bit. The only problem is that when hitting the CFS icon, it asks me if I want to run CFS3 by unknown author. say yes and it loads.
I thought that I had to make a lot of changes. Thanks to all.