PDA

View Full Version : how does one edit their posts?

Lateral-G
October 7th, 2010, 05:23
I wanted to edit one of my posts but noticed the option wasn't "turned on".

Is this only allowed for certain members?

-G-

(edit for testing purposes only)

AckAck
October 7th, 2010, 05:58
I think there is a time limit for it. How old was the post? (5 minutes before an "edited by" bit shows up, then I think it is a day or two (?) before the edit button goes away.)

Brian

(see I just edited this post because I forgot the close parenthesis)

Lateral-G
October 7th, 2010, 06:57
Yeah, it was a post from last night (perhaps less than 12 hrs ago)

I see my initial thread post has an edit tag so you're right, there must be a time limit.

-G-

mal998
October 7th, 2010, 09:13
It would be great if the admins could change our ability to delete and modify posts no matter how old they are. Sometimes you write something that you just wish you could take back.

PRB
October 8th, 2010, 16:28
Current settings are: 400 minutes for editing the body of your post, and 93 minutes for editing the title of your thread. 400 minutes is over six hours, so you have that long to take back anything you may think twice about!

PRB
October 10th, 2010, 07:52
Been thinking about my answer above, and I wish to add another thought. There are basically two reasons we don't allow editing of posts with no time limit. First, if we did, and posters constantly edited their posts, the thread would become difficult to follow for somebody reading it later. Second, and more importantly, the time limit encourages thought and consideration before posting. What you post here is going to be part of history forever, or at least until the next dinosaur killer asteroid whacks us... So if you're going to make your thoughts part of “the record” for the future, think about what you want to say first... It's related to that “make being helpful more important than being right” motto we try to encourage around here. And use a spell checker! :icon_lol:

mmann
October 10th, 2010, 07:58
Wye wudd we nead a spel chequer for?

Dain Arns
October 10th, 2010, 08:22
Firefox comes with a built in spell checker...