PDA

View Full Version : Sikorsky S-55 WIP - Request Some Help

Stratobat
October 4th, 2010, 06:12
Hi Guys,

I'm currently doing a repaint of the Alphasim Sikorsky S-55 in the colour scheme of an aircraft that served with Utility Squadron HU-4. The aircraft was, according to my reference, seen aboard the USS Donner while she was tied up in Port Elizabeth harbour, South Africa, in October 1961 and had a Solant Amity patch applied to the nose.

Does anybody happen to have a decent picture of the Solant Amity patch?

Regards,
Stratobat

Duckie
October 4th, 2010, 07:13
This one?

Stratobat
October 4th, 2010, 07:36
Hey Duckie,

That's perfect! Thank you, Sir :)

Regards,
Stratobat

Duckie
October 4th, 2010, 07:49
:salute:

Stratobat
October 6th, 2010, 10:05
Hey Duckie,

What do you think?

Regards,
Stratobat

Duckie
October 6th, 2010, 10:21
Looks good enough to park in my garage! :ernae:

Good job on the patch too. :applause:

Taco
October 6th, 2010, 11:54
Stratobat,

Hi there, sure like your S-55, but sure would like to know what kind of ship was the USS Donner?

Thanks.

Duckie
October 6th, 2010, 12:22
Google it. The internet is your friend! :icon_lol:

United States Ship, USS Donner, LSD20, Dock Landing Ship, Commissioned 1945, Decommissioned 1970, scrapped 2005. Named for the Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada, it was modified in the 1950's to operate helicopters using a "portable" landing pad.

:wavey:

Taco
October 6th, 2010, 16:18
Thanks for your information, and I don't use the Google, internet etc. By the way, my name and my wife name are on the plaque at Donner Pass, we sure had some problems signing the guest book without the Park people asking for some ID.

Willy
October 6th, 2010, 16:31
Today's Whibdey Island class LSDs have a helo pad with two landing spots. When I was on USS Tortuga LSD 46, we used the heck out of it.

Stratobat
October 7th, 2010, 02:20
I'm glad you like it, Duckie :)

Couple more bits and bobs to add and correct, then it's upload.

Stratobat,

Hi there, sure like your S-55, but sure would like to know what kind of ship was the USS Donner?

Hey Taco,

The Wikipedia link below will tell you pretty much everything about the USS Donner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Donner_(LSD-20) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Donner_%28LSD-20%29)

Today's Whibdey Island class LSDs have a helo pad with two landing spots. When I was on USS Tortuga LSD 46, we used the heck out of it.

Hey Willy,

I know everybody is hung up on aircraft carriers but it would be nice if there were a couple of LSD's with landing pads in FS for the helicopter guys.

Some notes on the finish:

The reference I'm using (See below) states that the aircraft was finished in a bright scheme of Fluorescent Yellow-Orange and that the paint had become faded on the upper surfaces due to the effects of ultra-violet and salt air. The aircraft also wore an usual white surround to the national insignia and there was an incomplete representation of the glode painted on the nose.

Title: A Portrait of Military Aviation in South Africa
Author: Ron Belling
ISBN Number: 0 947458 14 X
Publisher: Struikhof Publishers
Date of Publishing: 1989

For anybody interested in repainting, this book has a wealth of information in it. Roughly 160 pages with full colour artwork (Not profiles) on pretty much every page.

Regards,
Stratobat

Ferry_vO
October 7th, 2010, 03:28
Nice paint! :applause:

Speaking of the S-55: I'm missing the texture on the VC panel and I know a fix was posted in the past but I can't find it anymore; anyone remember what it was?

WarHorse47
October 7th, 2010, 15:49
Looks great, Stratobat. Hope you release it soon.

:ernae:

--WH