PDA

View Full Version : RE: Pew Forum of Religion and Public Life

brad kaste
September 30th, 2010, 14:38
As we're well AWARE of, NewsHawks is NOT a forum for one's professing of his or her political viewpoints and religious beliefs. So,....LET'S please keep it as such.
A bit of news has been made lately on how much knowledge,...or lack of knowledge,....most persons have (mainly in the US) concerning various religions that are practiced.
This is the Pew link to take the test,....if you haven't already. The test is fairly generic in it's questions. There's 15 of them. Good luck.
http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php

p.s.,...The test is for your edification....please keep this in mind.

Collin
September 30th, 2010, 14:57
13 correct = 87%

regards Collin:ernae:

gecko65
September 30th, 2010, 14:59
Surprising! Not being religious, and having no formal religious education, I scored 12 for 80% :applause:

Bjoern
September 30th, 2010, 15:00
11 correct; 73%.

Not bad I guess, considering I'm not Bible proof at all.

pilottj
September 30th, 2010, 15:06
lol I am in the same boat with Geko, not religious and got 80%

AckAck
September 30th, 2010, 15:21
14 correct = 93% (better than 99% of the population? really?) Unfortunately, I'm American, so don't really know anything.

Still trying to figure out which one I missed. Probably one of the Supreme Court questions. (EDIT - nope - if you go far enough, it shows you your questions and how many missed them)

Brian

Dain Arns
September 30th, 2010, 15:24
100% :salute:

norab
September 30th, 2010, 15:37
14 for 93%

TeaSea
September 30th, 2010, 15:38
Sorry, I missed a stupid one....14 out of 15 though.

I feel edified, thanks BK.

Milton Shupe
September 30th, 2010, 15:43
It may help to put the responses into perspective. This does a pretty good job of it:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/09/29/bruce-feiler-pew-forum-religion-survey-atheists-americans-god-knowledge-moses/

Willy
September 30th, 2010, 15:57
13 out of 15. Still better than 93% of the population.

txnetcop
September 30th, 2010, 17:08
You answered 14 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 93%.

EasyEd
September 30th, 2010, 17:22
Hey All,

13 of 15 - didn't know Jesus was a drinker and that the Bible is acceptable literature. :bump:

Learn something every day.

-Ed-

Kiwikat
September 30th, 2010, 17:28
14/15

<== Atheist :wiggle:

I could write a whole book on what I think about these results but this is all I'm going to say about the topic here... :salute:

olaf1924
September 30th, 2010, 18:19
80% for my results.

spotlope
September 30th, 2010, 19:32
13 out of 15 for me, too. I read recently that non-religious people who've taken a similar version of this survey did significantly better than those who professed deep religious belief. I guess I bear that out. :mixedsmi:

HouseHobbit
September 30th, 2010, 19:41
100%

Dain Arns
September 30th, 2010, 20:36
13 out of 15 for me, too. I read recently that non-religious people who've taken a similar version of this survey did significantly better than those who professed deep religious belief. I guess I bear that out. :mixedsmi:

I've seen those erroneous results posted as well.

This is nothing more than a general religion knowledge quiz that really doesn't deal at all with anything of much depth in regards to belief and philosophies.
IMHO it's another inaccurate media survey whose results are truly meaningless.
These are general trivia questions better suited for "Jeopardy!" contestants.

Supreme Court rulings, what religion Mother Teresa was, and who the leader of protestant reform was, have absolutely nothing to do with gauging one's depth of knowledge of their own personal beliefs.
I suspect the results would be much different if it dealt with more specific questions regarding the aspects of certain religion's beliefs and dogma.
Such as the questions about the Gospels of Jesus or chapters within the Quran...

Chacha
September 30th, 2010, 20:57

This is nothing more than a general religion knowledge quiz that really doesn't deal at all with anything of much depth in regards to belief and philosophies.

Supreme Court rulings, what religion Mother Teresa was, and who the leader of protestant reform was, have absolutely nothing to do with gauging one's depth of knowledge of their own personal beliefs.
I suspect the results would be much different if it dealt with more specific questions regarding the aspects of certain religion's beliefs and dogma.
Such as the questions about the Gospels of Jesus or chapters within the Quran...

Where is the LIKE button!

I agree 112% :)

Kiwikat
September 30th, 2010, 21:09

Where's the disagree button? lol.

This would be true if you ignored the fact that many people of faith answered questions wrong about their own faith... (in the real survey! Remember this wasn't the survey everyone else took.) This fake survey doesn't really compare. If you look at the real one, the questions are a little more in-depth like what you suggest. Religious people still got them more wrong than atheists and agnostics. If the questions were more in-depth about the person's own religion, you can bet that people still wouldn't know a whole lot about it. If you don't know the very basics it is doubtful you know the details.

You can draw your own conclusions from the results! :ernae:

Quixoticish
October 1st, 2010, 00:54
100% correct.

I'm not sure if the questions are the same for everyone or if they are randomly sampled from a database but the ones I received had a very heavy christian bias.

TomSteber
October 1st, 2010, 01:49
93% 14 out of 15

ndicki
October 1st, 2010, 02:04
Also 100%. Having said that, I'm not American and had to guess the ones appertaining to US law and such things as Mormonism. But it wasn't exactly rocket science...

Henry
October 1st, 2010, 09:42
15 out of 15 100%
although i guessed #11
H

Naismith
October 1st, 2010, 12:11
100%, had to guess the last one, but not bad considering I am one of those 6% "rare types" according to Fox that will be going to Hell.

jmig
October 1st, 2010, 13:29
I got 14 out of 15. I thought too hard on the Sabbath question. I should have gone with my first thought. But NOOOooooo, I had to analyze it.

:)

lifejogger
October 1st, 2010, 14:04
93% but I question that the Jewish Sabbath starts on Friday.

jmig
October 1st, 2010, 14:51
93% but I question that the Jewish Sabbath starts on Friday.

Traditionally, it started at sunset Friday and went to sunset on Saturday.

TeaSea
October 1st, 2010, 15:15
Exactly what religion are Hobbits?

Mr. HH did so well....I have to ask.