PDA

View Full Version : Booting straight to desktop?

Navy Chief
September 30th, 2010, 07:34
Just recently, when my computer boots, it goes to a screen where it shows the icon for my user account, and I have to select THAT to go further to the desktop.

It didn't used to do that. No idea why it is now, and is annoying.

I have never created a password. I am the ONLY user of this computer.

How can I get it to boot straight to the desktop, without going through that darn user logon screen?

Again, I do NOT have a password created.

Thanks.

NC

brad kaste
September 30th, 2010, 08:08
...Had you run a newly installed security type program recently?....or modified your computer settings in any way?

Navy Chief
September 30th, 2010, 08:10
I am ALWAYS tinkering with settings. But the weird thing is, it doesn't always do it!!!!

Terry
September 30th, 2010, 09:29
The fix depends on your op sys. Just Google "skip logon screen" and you will have the answer, it looks easy to do.

stuartcox
September 30th, 2010, 11:30
Just go to 'Control Panel' and 'User Accounts'. There you can make the required changes. Good luck!

Navy Chief
September 30th, 2010, 13:04
Thanks all for your help. The problem was, I had never created a password. Never saw the need for it.

I had a bit of a scare earlier today. I had gone into the area where you "turn off" the need for a password to logon. But since I had never actually created that, when I rebooted, it (for a short time) would NOT reboot! I was in a panic. Fortunately, Windows7 recognized the problem, and restored the logon process.

I then created a password, and went through the process again of "turning it off".

All is well now!

Thanks.

NC