PDA

View Full Version : Flying the IRIS Harrier in FSX

falcon409
September 29th, 2010, 19:51
I know there have to be a few of us out there that have converted the Harrier to FSX. I installed Rob's VTOL conversion package, however I have no more "lift" capability now than I did before I installed it. Nothing seems to have changed.

I went back through the installation and general operating instructions that Rob included. . .(very extensive explanations too) and everything seems to be in order:
I have an updated payware version of FSUIPC
I have the folder rcb_gauges in the panel folder
I replaced the original panel.cfg with the revised version
I replaced the original aircraft.cfg file with the revision
I placed the new "cab" file in the FSX gauges folder

FSUIPC shows up in the "Addons" dropdown inside FSX
The flaps/Nozzle red line indicator shows correct flaps/nozzle position

Here is a shot of the Harrier at full throttle:

James
September 29th, 2010, 21:39
I don't know if this will help or not, but what you did seems to be a lot more complicated than what I did. I was using the freeware versions of both, and they worked fine. I also used FSUIPC 4 for their JSF.

flyboyhunt05
September 29th, 2010, 23:46
Try getting the weight of the aircraft under 21,000lbs. The thrust should be enough to lift the Harrier off the ground under that weight.

falcon409
September 30th, 2010, 00:09
Flyboy, The current weight is just a tad above 11,000. . .I went through that checklist as well, even though I didn't post that here. If the image I show in my post was a video. . .there wouldn't be any change. . .it just sits on the ground with the engines running full mil and it doesn't show any sign of wanting to lift.

James, I'm not sure what you mean by the "freeware versions of both". . .if you mean the original cfg and airfile, then I used those first with the same results, that's why I mentioned that I saw no change from the original. Also, the FSUIPC version I use is the most recent updated payware version, as I said.

AndyE1976
September 30th, 2010, 05:02
Is there a fix for the opaque hud?

DaveWG
September 30th, 2010, 08:26
May be a silly question, but you're not using the FS9 version of the gauge instead of the FSX version?

XLR8
September 30th, 2010, 08:38
The way I get the harriers to fly right is to install the freeware FSUIPC . But it seems not to activate,but it does . Then I extract the hover gauge in to the main FSX folder . It ask to over ride I click yes . When I open FSX and pick the harrier it as to run the new installed software,I click yes and away I go . I do the same thing for the Alphasim V22 and the IRIS F35B . The hover gauge are rcb10 andrcb11 something like that . Hope it helps .

falcon409
September 30th, 2010, 10:42
I downloaded the FSX VTOL gauge by Rob Barendregt. . .made specifically for the IRIS Sigma Harrier. Already mentioned twice in my posts, I am using the payware version of FSUIPC which I purchased years ago and continue to upgrade as they come available, so it's not that I don't have it installed.

Also already mentioned, the Harrier is not overweight, it's sitting right now at just under 11,000. SO, with everything installed correctly, full nozzle deflection beyond 80 degrees and full flaps and throttle at full mil. . .the harrier sits in the middle of the ramp, engulfed by the exhaust and fumes and doesn't budge.

peter12213
September 30th, 2010, 11:16
Empty the two external tanks, there should be four in the fuel menu, empty two and it will VTOL. FSuipc should not be the problem!
P.s. have you fixed the HUD anomoly Ed?

falcon409
September 30th, 2010, 18:56
. . . . .P.s. have you fixed the HUD anomoly Ed?
I've looked at the textures, but only see one "glass" texture and no changes I made affected the HUD. I went through the mdl file looking at LOD's that might be the culprit, but nothing I did made any difference either.:salute:

DaveWG
October 1st, 2010, 09:57
Is there a fix for the opaque hud?

The HUD is only opaque with any lights on. Unfortunately, the VTOL smoke effects use lights as a trigger sending the HUD opaque. You can disable the Harrier_GR7!Effect Controller in the panel.cfg but then you'll loose the smoke effects.

falcon409
October 1st, 2010, 11:00
The HUD is only opaque with any lights on. Unfortunately, the VTOL smoke effects use lights as a trigger sending the HUD opaque. You can disable the Harrier_GR7!Effect Controller in the panel.cfg but then you'll loose the smoke effects.
Which is well worth the effort to get the HUD back. . .I don't care about the effects anyway, I'm in the VC keeping the ship level, lol

Thanks Dave!!:salute:

rcbarend
October 1st, 2010, 17:40
Hi Ed,

After our extensive communications on the Skycar, I'm a bit surprised :mixedsmi: you haven't Emailed me directly with your problem on this Iris Harrier; You certainly may ....! :-)

Off hand, with what I read in your first post:
Make sure that the subfolder you place my stuff in, is spelt as "rcb-gauges" , NOT "rcb_gauges"

:ernae: Rob

falcon409
October 1st, 2010, 18:26
Hi Ed,
After our extensive communications on the Skycar, I'm a bit surprised :mixedsmi: you haven't Emailed me directly with your problem on this Iris Harrier; You certainly may ....! :-)

Off hand, with what I read in your first post:
Make sure that the subfolder you place my stuff in, is spelt as "rcb-gauges" , NOT "rcb_gauges"
:ernae: Rob
Hi Rob, still flying the Skycar by the way.
That rcb_gauges was a typo. . .the actual gauge folder is correct.

I took Peter's advice and emptied the external tanks (which put it below 10,000lbs) and after some coaxing (it still doesn't lift off as you advance to full throttle), it will finally lift off. For landing however, I remember being able to slowly settle down on the main gears as I reduced the power setting, but now, once I go to full flaps and nozzle deflection, it drops like a rock even at full throttle.

I didn't e-mail directly because I didn't want to bother you with this. . .I'm sure. . .somewhere in all this mess it's something I did, lol. I know your work and so I have complete confidence that it isn't on your side.:salute:

rcbarend
October 3rd, 2010, 08:53
.........For landing however, I remember being able to slowly settle down on the main gears as I reduced the power setting, but now, once I go to full flaps and nozzle deflection, it drops like a rock even at full throttle.

Hi Ed,

That still sounds like something isn't installed properly, because that shouldn't happen.
Since you have the Skycar working, FSUIPC must be working Okay.
If you Email me an overview of the folderstructure for the Harrier, your aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg, I'll have a look if you want.

ALso note two other things:
1. Look at the TOTAL gross weight of the aircraft. (so empty weight + payload + fuel).
You can find that number in the fuel/payload menu, and should be between 15000 and 21000 lbs.
2. For VTOL/hovering, do not use Full Flaps (this places the nozzles in the FullBrakingStop position, ie. 98 degrees rotated) but FullFlaps minus 2. This sets the nozzles to 90 degrees. Although this doesn't explain the problem you have.

Cheers, Rob

PS. As far as my support is concerned: 99.9% of all problem support requests I get via Email, appears to be caused by a user doing something wrong (usually in installing it), so there no reason to hesitate contacting me ... LoL

FSX68
September 8th, 2011, 14:02

I lined that one out and the HUD is still foggy. I do see a bit of a difference
(less fog) when lights are switched on/off.