PDA

View Full Version : Released: Flight Replicas CAC Boomerang

mike_cyul
September 28th, 2010, 19:09
Flight Replicas is pleased to announce the release of the CAC Boomerang package.

For further details, please visit here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Boomerang_home.htm

The Boomerang features:

-Highly accurate VC, with many functioning parts;
-VC can be configured as WII or modern Warbird, at any time;
-Working two-state supercharger (blower) system;
-Engine failures for incorrect handling;
-Working inertial starter system;
-Working weapons systems, including gun firing;
-Cageable artificial horizon with adjustable 'bird';
-Gyro compass can be corrected for drift;
-Working P8 compass;
-2 different models;
-3different textures;
-Accurate and challenging flight dynamics;
-Accurate pilot flight suit and flight helmet;
-Custom and default sounds;
-3D gauges in the VC, for incredible realism;

:)

Mike

Kiwikat
September 28th, 2010, 19:13
All of the images are showing X's on the product page. Am I doing something wrong?

SADT
September 28th, 2010, 19:16
Sooooooooo tempted..........

(i mean nothing against Mikes product, just there is soo much to buy today!)

Great work BTW - :salute:

It is a steal at $21.95! :jump:

mike_cyul
September 28th, 2010, 19:16
All of the images are showing X's on the product page. Am I doing something wrong?

They're working here. Just standard jpegs. Testers have no problems either. Not sure why you aren't seeing them?

Mike

Kiwikat
September 28th, 2010, 19:18
They're working here. Just standard jpegs. Testers have no problems either. Not sure why you aren't seeing them?

Mike

It looks like my firewall was blocking them...

Off to check out screenies! :salute:

PRB
September 28th, 2010, 19:49
WhooHoo! Thanks, Mike!

Cleartheprop
September 28th, 2010, 21:42
Downloading... :ernae:

jeansy
September 28th, 2010, 22:26
THANKS ! downloading now

Cleartheprop
September 28th, 2010, 22:51
Nice and original airplane indeed! http://www.cleartheprop.com/images/boomerang/boom1.jpg

AussieMan
September 28th, 2010, 23:27
Now I can retire my FS9 port over :)

Cheers
Pat

roger-wilco-66
September 28th, 2010, 23:51
Great news, I've been waiting for that. Bought it instantly.
Can't wait 'til I get home this evening!!

Cheers,
Mark

Ian Warren
September 29th, 2010, 00:29
I'm in without a hezz ,love to see my multi play counterparts take me on in this one :salute:

www.nzff.org
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

vora
September 29th, 2010, 03:29
For FSX with Acceleration, or FSX Gold, only (not SP2).

I'm a little confused. I read this as "not for FSX SP2". Isn't SP2 already included in Acceleration?

stiz
September 29th, 2010, 04:06
it is yes, but acelleration makes more changes and allows coders to take advantage of some new systems which wont work in SP2.

Looks stunning mike!

vora
September 29th, 2010, 04:08
it is yes, but acelleration makes more changes and allows coders to take advantage of some new systems which wont work in SP2.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation.

Downloading now...

Pips
September 29th, 2010, 05:25
Fanbloodytastic!! :)

mike_cyul
September 29th, 2010, 06:29
Our good friend 'gajit' has already done a repaint, which he has asked me to upload to the library. The repaint is of the modern-day restored Boomerang "Suzy-Q." It's been uploaded, and should be available soon.

Mike

mal998
September 29th, 2010, 08:24
This is one cool plane!

Great job, Thanks!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/5852010_9_29_12_4_55_127.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/8872010_9_29_12_5_14_919.jpg

huub vink
September 29th, 2010, 09:16
Looka great Mike (as usual ;) )! And some movies from the real thing:

vy47Z12Lsw4

Ng3EWIDaJ-Q

OleBoy
September 29th, 2010, 09:34
Can't stand it. Ever since flying the one converted over from CSF2 to FS9 I can't resist.
....The pictures of the modeling look great. I just hope the sounds are authentic.

Edit: Ordered
Edit again: Downloading!!!!

That was fast!!

PRB
September 29th, 2010, 09:34
Cool movies, Huub. What an interesting sound this little fighter has.

huub vink
September 29th, 2010, 09:40

Knowing Mike, I assume the sounds which come with his Boomerang will be good. However the sound which come with the "now freeware" Aeroplane Heaven Boomerang are very nice and very much like the sounds you hear in these movies.

Cheers,
Huub

OleBoy
September 29th, 2010, 09:47
Thanks for the info on the Aeroplane Heaven model Huub. I forgot about that one. Unfortunately I don't know much about the plane itself or the history behind it. I just know what I like. If I like it, I try my best to support those who provide quality material. Like anything I spend hard earned wages on.

Time to open the hanger doors and let in a little sunshine. Time for a ride :ernae:

Roger
September 29th, 2010, 10:03
Lovely stuff Mike!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/boom-4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/boom-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/boom-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/boom-1.jpg

OleBoy
September 29th, 2010, 10:26
Very impressive. And the sounds (to me) sound real good.
....Time for me to get out my glasses for a bit of reading the manual.

Great little plane Mike.

Thank You

Almost forgot to say, the pilots must wear a parachute pack that doubles as a seat cushion. I can't imagine anyone sitting in that metal pan for any length of time.

OleBoy
September 29th, 2010, 13:01
I'm happy to have made the purchase. My skepticism of the sounds I feel were acceptable IMO, but I feel I owe Mike somewhat of an apology for saying anything before the model was even tested by anyone.

The sounds are real impressive. This thing really growls and gets up on step. The fly-by sounds excellent. It's very agile in both performance and handling and smooth to transition from flight to landing. Full flaps, touch down and it slows right down on the runway.

I highly recommend anyone purchase. If you've flown one in previous sims and liked it, you'll love this thing.

Great job on the modeling Mike (and team). Great job on the gauges to Wozza. The panel looks real nice. Along with the rest of the cockpit.

Based on what I know, I give it a 10/10 :ernae:

Mithrin
September 29th, 2010, 13:29
Woot, not a Spit Stang or Schmitt. Wonderful! :salute: Might have to step on my own rules and get this one!

SADT
September 29th, 2010, 15:09
Hi Guys;

This is a question for anybody who has flown the Booma; do you actually have to wait for max revs on the inertial starter before engaging the starter? :jump:

Dexdoggy
September 29th, 2010, 15:26
I might have to buy Acceleration just so I can get this, it looks awesome....

OleBoy
September 29th, 2010, 16:09
Hi Guys;

This is a question for anybody who has flown the Booma; do you actually have to wait for max revs on the inertial starter before engaging the starter? :jump:

Roger that. It's neat the way Mike has it integrated. Max rpm..let go...bang and she fires

SADT
September 29th, 2010, 16:18
Thanks OleBoy :salute:

Now I only have to find out how to hide the bill........ :bump:

PRB
September 29th, 2010, 16:45
Went up for a test flight and ran into one of our RAAF mates in Hudson, so I tagged along for a while. Nice ship Flight Replicas!

mike_cyul
September 29th, 2010, 18:32
Roger that. It's neat the way Mike has it integrated. Max rpm..let go...bang and she fires

You can thank Wozza for most of the interesting xml (eg. starter, blower, engine failure, guns) in this aircraft. :)

And thanks, everybody, glad you're liking the Booma.

Mike

OleBoy
September 30th, 2010, 01:47

You and me both buddy. You and me both :running:

Javis
September 30th, 2010, 07:31

Indeed ! ( Thanks Huub ! :salute: )

So what about that extraordinairy 'whine' then ??.... Nobody's interested in what causes it ??... ( this IS an aircraft devoted forum, is it not... :wiggle: )

Does anybody know ?? ( i mean what causes the 'whine', not if this is an aircraft devoted forum.. :p: ) A build in Stuka sirene that the restoration team found underneath a pile of junk in a corner of the hangar perhaps ??.... :)

Great job, as always, Mike ! :applause: ( love the engine details ! )

cheers,
jan

mike_cyul
September 30th, 2010, 07:42
I've heard that the whine is due to the cannon openings, or something similar. Other than the videos, however, I couldn't find any reference to this anywhere, and you'd think it would have generated nicknames or something like that?

Mike

Wozza
September 30th, 2010, 07:45
Indeed ! ( Thanks Huub ! :salute: )

So what about that extraordinairy 'whine' then ??.... Nobody's interested in what causes it ??... ( this IS an aircraft devoted forum, is it not... :wiggle: )

Does anybody know ?? ( i mean what causes the 'whine', not if this is an aircraft devoted forum.. :p: )

Great job, as always, Mike ! :applause: ( love the engine details ! )

cheers,
jan
Hi Jan
Thats the pilot screaming in the cockpit, you will notice its louder when the canopy is open :D
just kidding.... I could be wrong but pretty sure its the cannon barrels singing.....

BTW guys I didnt do very much in the gauges department, just a little bit of code bending in the background 99.99999% was Mikes work ;)
Cheers
Wozza

Javis
September 30th, 2010, 07:59
Thanks, guys ! :cool:

Extraordinairy sound, isn't it. Been reading up about the Boomerang a bit but nowhere a hint regarding the sound, as opposed to other aircraft that produce a typical sound during flight like the Corsair and Harvard.

It's not like this restored specimen is the only example that produces this sound, could it ?

cheers,
Jan

danyboy21
September 30th, 2010, 08:12
Superb achievement. I do not regret my investment

Cirrus N210MS
September 30th, 2010, 09:37
Looks Nice I could use a New FIghter plane :salute: not sure when i can get it soon though i have some other planes on list still

Ian Warren
September 30th, 2010, 20:09
Surprised i have not seen in a online multiplay there chappy :wavey:
@ www.nzff,org

Ian
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

roger-wilco-66
September 30th, 2010, 23:20
Thanks, guys ! :cool:

Extraordinairy sound, isn't it. Been reading up about the Boomerang a bit but nowhere a hint regarding the sound, as opposed to other aircraft that produce a typical sound during flight like the Corsair and Harvard.

It's not like this restored specimen is the only example that produces this sound, could it ?

cheers,
Jan

I once whitnessed a nice performance of an P51-D Mustang at an airshow, which had a similar whine when diving at higher airspeeds!
I also saw the german "Red 7" Me 109 G-4 that produced a whining sound at higher speeds, but that was clearly the supercharger of the big old Daimler Benz...

I have a couple of vids of the me109 here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rogerwilco66#p/u

I am immensly enjoying the Boomerang in the Solomon scenery (it even belongs there, historically), what a great product! Top notch!

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
October 1st, 2010, 00:11
couple of boom pics:

OleBoy
October 1st, 2010, 04:45
I noticed that the whine wasn't there myself. The thought of it missing didn't really last long due to the great sounds in general. While not being an accomplished tail dragger pilot of these type aircraft, I found myself doing many low passes over the runway and eventually numerous touch N goes to get the feel of the landing struts as they're a little stiffer than what I'm use too. I learned quickly that if the boomer is not stuck when landing that it has a bad tendency for an abrupt bounce.

On another note I've done some research on the boomer. Not a lot of them around. The fuselage and wing shape is rather unique. I was going to do a repaint but IMO they're all rather simplistic for their time.
.....The more I fly the boomer, the more I could see it the type of plane in the Reno Air Races. So my idea for paint schemes is in that direction. Historically correct or not the air frame fits the style in my ideas.

AussieMan
October 1st, 2010, 15:20
Some information on the Boomer.

The wings and undercarriage were stolen (interchangable) with the CAC Wirraway, which was a slight re-design of the NA Havard.

The whine was caused by air passing over the open gun ports. A similar thing occurs on the Meteor with the air passing over the shell ejector chutes.

Cheers
Pat

P.S. this aircraft is now in my hangar. Had to wait to install it as my Monitor had s*** itself and had to buy a new one.

bazzar
October 1st, 2010, 15:25
Hi Pat, I believe that more of the Harvard/Wirraway was used, namely a portion of the centre wing section which made the airframe incredibly strong and rugged. BTW if anybody is interested, there's one for sale here at the moment...

Mithrin
October 2nd, 2010, 06:38
Well bought it. Anyone brave enough to make these kind of planes gets my credits. Plus I still like the Me262's so I was quite sure of the quality. She flies real nice. Thanks!

italoc
October 2nd, 2010, 08:00
It's a great plane to fly :salute:
Worth the price:jump:
Thank FR:wavey:
Italo

peter12213
October 4th, 2010, 08:44
Same here I bought it too and well I love it, just how I imagined the Boomerang to fly!

calypsos
October 4th, 2010, 10:28
The only snag with this little beastie is the lack of interesting schemes.

I think I saw a bare metal version in a photo once (with SEAC markings) but I wonder if a painter would fancy doing a fictional North African (like the RAAF Tomahawk/Kittyhawk) scheme...without the teeth!

mike_cyul
October 4th, 2010, 12:06
The only snag with this little beastie is the lack of interesting schemes.

I think I saw a bare metal version in a photo once (with SEAC markings) but I wonder if a painter would fancy doing a fictional North African (like the RAAF Tomahawk/Kittyhawk) scheme...without the teeth!

Have you seen this one? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=2682

Mike

calypsos
October 4th, 2010, 12:48
This version of one of the flying replicas has a little more in the way of colour..

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Commonwealth-CA-19-Boomerang/1101400/&sid=fdb3c2607a67322cb3e72c95a336830f

I see that they flew well into 1946 with RAAF, which is possible where I saw a bare metal scheme, but I cannot find a image on the net.
Of note is the fact that the Boomerang has the prize for being the only production fighter of WW 2 NEVER to have shot down another aircraft, still (most of the time), I guess they always came back!!

peter12213
October 4th, 2010, 13:52
This is a perfect example of painter licence I feel, I'd happily fly "made up" repaints, I'd love to see it in RAF far east early war markings personally! or some camo, WONDERFUL aircaft! I just need to figure out how to config the cockpit next lol!

EDIT just like calypsos' photo thats just how I want mine, that shiney too lol!

mike_cyul
October 4th, 2010, 16:14
This version of one of the flying replicas has a little more in the way of colour..

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Commonwealth-CA-19-Boomerang/1101400/&sid=fdb3c2607a67322cb3e72c95a336830f

I see that they flew well into 1946 with RAAF, which is possible where I saw a bare metal scheme, but I cannot find a image on the net.
Of note is the fact that the Boomerang has the prize for being the only production fighter of WW 2 NEVER to have shot down another aircraft, still (most of the time), I guess they always came back!!

I'm pretty sure the bare metal version you saw was most probably Boomerang A46-30, painted silver and used in the film "Smithy". It was supposed to represent Sir Charles Kingsford Smith's Lockheed Altair VH-USB 'Lady Southern Cross". That's the only silver one I've seen.

The Boomerang was never a good fighter aircraft (and was only shortly in that role, as better aircraft quickly came along) - but it was superb at low-level ground attack, which is the role it ended up playing. I think the only one shot down by other aircraft was shot down by an American P-38, if I remember correctly.

Mike

Naki
October 4th, 2010, 16:52
I found this..only a model though and it states the real one was never silver...

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/395213/aeroplane-model-cac-boomerang

..and this of the Smithy "Altair" Boomerang..

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/wa11.htm

..this shows a pic of bare metal Boomerang before painting..and some info of the silver Boomerang ..although it was in non flying state when it was painted this colour inaccurately

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozepixels/3611671755/

mike_cyul
October 4th, 2010, 18:02
I found this..only a model though and it states the real one was never silver...

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/395213/aeroplane-model-cac-boomerang

..and this of the Smithy "Altair" Boomerang..

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/wa11.htm

..this shows a pic of bare metal Boomerang before painting..and some info of the silver Boomerang ..although it was in non flying state when it was painted this colour inaccurately

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozepixels/3611671755/

Had a chance to look through the book "Wirraway, Boomerang & CA-15 in Australian Service", by Stewart Wilson. A46-30 seems to have had a number of paint schemes over the years! Light powder blue for the "Smithy" film in 1945, then silver but with different names on the forward fuselage ("Lady Southern Cross" was one, "Australian CAC Boomerang Fighter" was another) until at least 1966, when it was given a new camouflage paint scheme. In 1977 it was further restored, and then loaned to the Australian War Memorial in 1981. In possibly 1994 it went to the RAAF Museum in Point Cook, Victoria, where it is today.

Long history! :)

Mike

OleBoy
October 4th, 2010, 19:43
Mike, you created a great model. And I think you did so in its own prestige. A short lived, rare plane of times. Resources are few from a repainters aspect. Mine anyway. You did the most known and found already within your rendition.
....In all honesty ( and personal opinion ) you are the one who could do far better than any of my attempts at this bit of history. Therefore I feel you are the best candidate at any other schemes simply going based on the research you've put into it.

So,,,,,what's next? :running:

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/?q=cac+boomerang&conflict=second+world+war%2C+1939-1945&submit=Search
http://www.awm.gov.au/search/?q=cac+boomerang&submit=Search#931

SADT
October 4th, 2010, 20:32
That "Smithy" paint job goes quite well on the CAC Booma IMO.........

Would somebody please be able to paint up a Booma in those colors? :jump:

roger-wilco-66
October 4th, 2010, 22:40
I think the only one shot down by other aircraft was shot down by an American P-38, if I remember correctly.
Mike

That was Gerald Johnson, who shot the Boomerang out of the sky (mistaking it for a japanese aircraft, of course...). I remember reading this in his biography "Jungle Ace", and he even met the unlucky guy later. The meeting was interesting....

quote from adf-serials :

A46-136 CA-13 959 09/43 served with 4 Sqn; on 15/11/43 it was flying back to base when a USAAF P-38 Lightning piloted by Lt Gerald R Johnson of 9 FS (who became the 5th Air Force's 4th highest scoring ace with 22 victories) fired a burst into the port side, hitting mainplane and port tailplane. The aircraft lurched to starboard and lost height, finally recovering at 500ft, but with the port mainplane on fire and cannon ammunition exploding, it also was travelling too fast to land, so F/O Robert McColl Stewart (408505) lifted the a/c over the river at the strip end, belly landed into scrub whereupon it burst into flames and was totally destroyed.
All this happened even though it was accompanied by A46-132 and two P-40s; it was converted to components and Lt Johnson had an Australian flag painted on the nose of his P-38 along with his Japanese victories.

End quote.

Cheers,
Mark

huub vink
October 5th, 2010, 08:47
For FSX with Acceleration, or FSX Gold, only (not SP2 alone).

This is not the first model which is advertised as being designed for FSX including Acceleration or Gold version. As I have the "Deluxe edition" including SP2 installed, this model is a obviously "no go" for me.

But nevertheless I was wondering why the model will not work. I can imagine some effects won't work, but what else? Are the differences between "Acceleration" and "SP2" that big that a model would even not appear?

And a question for Mike; What did make you decide to make a model only suitable for "Acceleration" as this immediately reduces your market.

Cheers,
Huub

tommieboy
October 5th, 2010, 10:43
This is not the first model which is advertised as being designed for FSX including Acceleration or Gold version. As I have the "Deluxe edition" including SP2 installed, this model is a obviously "no go" for me.

But nevertheless I was wondering why the model will not work. I can imagine some effects won't work, but what else? Are the differences between "Acceleration" and "SP2" that big that a model would even not appear?

And a question for Mike; What did make you decide to make a model only suitable for "Acceleration" as this immediately reduces your market.

Cheers,
Huub

I'm thinking the same thing as I run SP2 too......

Tommy

thefrog
October 5th, 2010, 11:08

Cheers,
Huub

Why not just get Acceleration? (under £10 here in uk from Amazon)
Cheers
Frog

mike_cyul
October 5th, 2010, 11:37

Cheers,
Huub

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between SP2 and Acceleration, except that I believe they were developed by different teams and thus some significant differences in code are in there. While the aircraft will show up and fly just fine in either SP2 or Acceleration, using just SP2 with an Acceleration aircraft will give you such things as props that run on for along time after shutdown, some clickspots that won't work, and an incompatability with the contact points that can make an aircraft bounce wildly when taxiing.

The part that is the most irritating for SP2 users is, I think, the bouncing. It's possible to calm it somewhat by adjusting the contact points, but not 100% curable. I've helped a few users who can live with the rest of the issues, and once the bouncing calms the aircraft seems to be useable depending on the expectations.

Why do I use Acceleration? Because I think it's the furthest that the FSX coding was taken, and I want my FSX to be all that it can be. And as I fly sim aircraft, too, that's what's on my system, and thus it's what I develop with, as well.

If there was a way to make a living doing this, then I would probably take SP2 and FS9 into account, as well. However, when an aircraft like the Boomerang takes over 9 months of almost all my spare time to build, and sales will probably be around 50 aircraft (with a trickle after that), you know I'm building these mostly for love!

Mike

bstolle
October 5th, 2010, 11:55
Same with the Milviz Cessna 310. It worked perfectly with Acceleration as everyone in the team is using it, and it is the most mature and advanced FSX version.
When trying to make the plane 'SP2 only' compatible I had great difficulty to make it fly similar to the Acceleration version.
It's not only things like different afterburner trigger etc, but also basic aerodynamic features like prop drag etc are much closer to real life in Acceleration.

huub vink
October 5th, 2010, 12:20
Thanks for the answer Mike. I do realise the market for FSX warbirds is very small compared with FSX GA models. Therefore I was surprised to see developers (you're not the only one) start to develop for "acceleration", which does reduce their already small market.
The way you explain it sounds absolutely logical. However I personally can't recall I ever had huge problems with bouncing models in SP2, but of course I only have a limited number of models installed.
I do understand developers want to create the best models possible, however I also hope they realise they do disappoint a part of their market.

Why not just get Acceleration? (under £10 here in uk from Amazon)
Cheers
Frog

Thanks for the suggestion Frog, however when developers start to develop models which only work with a Nvidia graphic card, do you expect all ATI card users to buy a new graphic cards as well?

Apart from that, I was not impressed with FSX when it was released. After SP2 most problems were solved. However I still have the feeling Microsoft released FSX long before it was ready and only after the release of Acceleration the bugs were really solved. Therefore it is my personal opinion that Acceleration (without the extra aircrafts and missions) should have been released as SP3.
In the Netherlands Acceleration is still on the shelve for 29.99 Euros. In my opinion this is a lot of money to sort out the bugs from a 50 Euros game.

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread for a few posts Mike! I really enjoy the images from your beautiful model! And by the time you release your FSX version from the Bf109 Gustav, I will most probably have put my principles aside and will have Acceleration as well *grin*

Cheers,
Huub

mikew
October 6th, 2010, 18:11
I have to say that I'm really having a blast with the Boomerang. I've also gone a bit bleary eyed searching the web for subjects to paint. Here is the first that I was able to find a few pictures of. It's tough to see the camo lines on the old B&W photos but I think it looks fairly good. I've got a few details to work out yet but I should finish it in the next day or so. If anyone has any more detailed shots of this or other Boomerangs... I'd be interested.

Mike

Ian Warren
October 7th, 2010, 06:05
Mike , looking brilliant :salute:, so few off them and yet so much interest with them :jump:

mikew
October 7th, 2010, 08:27
Thanks Ian...

The Boomerang has been a favorite of mine for a long while but I don't have a lot of info on it. I was fortunate enough to find the nose art for "U Beaut 2" but the camo is as accurate as I could make it given the few (very few) photos I was able to find. I'll probably start on the "Milingimbi Ghost" next since there are plenty of photos available, even though it was technically a CA-19.

I've also started a couple of fictional (alternate history if you will!) USA paints depicting the the Boomer as a Navy fighter (I know... no tailhook!) and another as one stationed in North Africa during 1943.. I'm at work right now or I'd post some more screenshots of those. Perhaps tonight.

Mike

huub vink
October 7th, 2010, 10:25
Nice repaint Mike! Looking forward to what you make of your "make your own history" repaints ;)

Huub

peter12213
October 7th, 2010, 10:38
I think you should stick some captued German markings on one Huub mate!

huub vink
October 7th, 2010, 11:37
The Boomerang for FSX Acceleration in FSX SP2........ although there are still many things to check, so far the model works as advertised! Not as advertised actually because it was "FSX Acceleration only", but that statement looks not completely correct ;)

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a1.jpg

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 13:07
The Boomerang for FSX Acceleration in FSX SP2........ although there are still many things to check, so far the model works as advertised! Not as advertised actually because it was "FSX Acceleration only", but that statement looks not completely correct ;)

Cheers,
Huub

Good to hear, Huub. If it turns out the Boomerang works in SP2, that would be great (and unexpected) news. :)

Looking forward to seeing how your further testing goes!

Mike

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 13:14
Doing a little repainting myself: as 4 Squadron could use some representation, here's QE-I, sporting hand-painted black serial numbers as she did in real life.

QE-I also features the factory-applied white markings, which had a wavy fuselage line and extended right out to the wingtips.

This repaint will be uploaded to the SOH library very soon.

Mike

calypsos
October 7th, 2010, 13:28
I wonder if any painter could do a bare metal version, with SEAC markings or even the later Kangaroo ones, rather like the P-51's that later replaced the Boomerang. If the war had continued, I like to think that the Boomerang would have been used at an OTU, teaching ground attack pilots. When they were retired, they were only a few years old.

Although not authentic, it would not be so fanciful as a USN version....USMC possibly, though!

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 13:39
I wonder if any painter could do a bare metal version, with SEAC markings or even the later Kangaroo ones, rather like the P-51's that later replaced the Boomerang. If the war had continued, I like to think that the Boomerang would have been used at an OTU, teaching ground attack pilots. When they were retired, they were only a few years old.

Although not authentic, it would not be so fanciful as a USN version....USMC possibly, though!

Would have to be a silver-painted scheme, I think, as the Boomerang's fuselage was skinned with plywood from the windscreen on back, and earlier versions had wooden wingtips as well.... :)

Mike

mikew
October 7th, 2010, 14:38
Here are some screens of the "alternate history" USN repaint I mentioned earlier. This would have been 1942ish. I have to paint the wheels the proper color as they are still green. I do have some photos of a silver version. I like the idea of a later silver trainer type...

Mike... Where is the texture for the rear view mirror located? I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction... Thanks!

Mike

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 14:44
Is anyone able to do a "Smithy" paint? Please....... :jump:

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 14:54
Here are some screens of the "alternate history" USN repaint I mentioned earlier. This would have been 1942ish. I have to paint the wheels the proper color as they are still green. I do have some photos of a silver version. I like the idea of a later silver trainer type...

Mike... Where is the texture for the rear view mirror located? I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction... Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike - Here's the location of the mirror, on CB_9.

Good looking repaint, btw!

Mike

mikew
October 7th, 2010, 14:57
Sure Craig... I'll give Smithy a go. I have a few photos of the original Lady Southern Cross and one of the Boomer from the movie so I should be able to knock together a fairly close rendition of the movie version... Give me a little time as I have this other responsibility called "work" that needs my attention!:icon_lol:

Edit... Mike, Thanks for the info on the mirror. That will help immensely!

Mike

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 15:48
I was making the attempt at a repaint. Got the left & right sides done up looking pretty sharp. But it appears the model doesn't take to DDS/DXT5 with a high shine too well.

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 17:52
Btw, I was already working on a "Lady Southern Cross:" texture, but if someone is further ahead or just would really like the pleasure of doing it, just let me know, and I'll stop.

(Just a WIP seen here - not finished!)

Mike

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 18:03
That looks good so far Mike :salute:

I wonder how people were fooled into thing a CAC Booma was a Lockheed Altair? The altair was quite a bit longer I think, the cockpit was set back and the canopy had no razorback. Or AFAYK did they use an Altair for some scenes?

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 18:11
I think it took a bit of imagination to fool anybody! (Image courtesy of Aerofiles)

Mike

20803http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/wa11-01.jpg

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 18:15
Watch this short extract from the film. Note the very careful positioning of the camera so that the Booma looks like an Altair. They must have made a second seat behind the pilot where the rear-view cut-out was.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/smithy/clip3/

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 18:29
Watch this short extract from the film. Note the very careful positioning of the camera so that the Booma looks like an Altair. They must have made a second seat behind the pilot where the rear-view cut-out was.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/smithy/clip3/

Interesting! Thanks for that. :)

...And it doesn't look as if those fuselage stripes are white!

Mike

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 18:32
I guess the Lockheed Sirius and Altair must have been quite rare in 1946.......... or the film company were cheapskates..........
(And they wanted to use Aussie aircraft.... :monkies: )

Wozza
October 7th, 2010, 18:49

Cheers,
Huub

Hi Huub
If you havnt done so open the aircraft.cfg and change the turbocharged= 0 to 1 and up the critical_altitude= to 26000 or so.This will give you close to ball park performance without the supercharger which I believe isn't modeled in sp2
Wozza

mike_cyul
October 7th, 2010, 23:11
Ok, here's the "Smithy" repaint. I'll upload it to the SOH library and it shoud be available soon. Makes a nice-looking GA aircraft, I think.

Mike

huub vink
October 8th, 2010, 07:20
Hi Huub
If you havnt done so open the aircraft.cfg and change the turbocharged= 0 to 1 and up the critical_altitude= to 26000 or so.This will give you close to ball park performance without the supercharger which I believe isn't modeled in sp2
Wozza

Hey Wozza, thanks for the tip! As I first want to know whether the works in FSX SP2 I had not changed anything. As I have mentioned already above, the model works without any real problems.

A small question to you; So far I haven't been able to blow up my engine in SP2. Is this because the the xml file which triggers this does not work in SP2?

Cheers,
Huub

Wozza
October 8th, 2010, 19:27
Hi Huub
Yep the engine damage is based on the MP and supercharger stage,if you want the engine to go bang just up the max_design_mp= 44.8 to 50 and alter the pots.xml in the gauge folder,change the
(A:RECIP ENG MANIFOLD PRESSURE:1, inHg) 52 > to 45.You will then have to keep an eye on the mp when at sea level as anything above 45 will then start the engine damage clock.
Cheers
Wozza

SADT
October 8th, 2010, 23:33
Downloading now! Very, very happy! :jump:

Very intuitive website.
Thanks Mike :salute:

huub vink
October 9th, 2010, 01:14
Hi Huub
Yep the engine damage is based on the MP and supercharger stage,if you want the engine to go bang just up the max_design_mp= 44.8 to 50 and alter the pots.xml in the gauge folder,change the
(A:RECIP ENG MANIFOLD PRESSURE:1, inHg) 52 > to 45.You will then have to keep an eye on the mp when at sea level as anything above 45 will then start the engine damage clock.
Cheers
Wozza

I had already raised the maximum manifold power in the config file to 48" Hg and changed the supercharger settings. With the changes in the xml the model now has the same features, with "just" SP2 as in FSX with Acceleration. However as the engine blows up quite fast now, I'm currently playing a bit with the timing.

Downloading now! Very, very happy! :jump:

Well Mike you will be even happier when you see the model. The engine is really incredible! It "flies" very nice and stable as well. Personally I think the Boomer looks like something from a comic book! I just have to make screenshot from it!

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a2.jpg

Scenery by Ian "IanP" Pearson

calypsos
October 9th, 2010, 03:14
Has anybody got the guns to work yet? I think I understand the instructions, but I get no effects.

huub vink
October 9th, 2010, 07:29
Has anybody got the guns to work yet? I think I understand the instructions, but I get no effects.

Both the guns an cannons are working here..... they only work when your flying (Gear-up). When the aircraft is still on the ground the "trigger" operates the brakes in most cases (default setting).

You need to switch on the power of the guns (2 switches), arm the cannons (just above parking brake and turbo charger lever) and arm the machine guns (4 red levers just below the electrical switches. Be aware only need to pull 2 red levers, when you pull the all four you will have switched the machine guns off again).

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a4.jpg

Wozza
October 9th, 2010, 08:18
I had already raised the maximum manifold power in the config file to 48" Hg and changed the supercharger settings. With the changes in the xml the model now has the same features, with "just" SP2 as in FSX with Acceleration. However as the engine blows up quite fast now, I'm currently playing a bit with the timing.

Cheers,
Huub

Hi Mate
The supercharger setting have no effect in sp2 as does the nitrous injection(as far as I know) also in accel they have a basic engine damage modeled so the pots.xml was just an addition to that, should the user try to stick the engine in high blower to early :)
cheers
Wozza

calypsos
October 9th, 2010, 09:24
Both the guns an cannons are working here..... they only work when your flying (Gear-up). When the aircraft is still on the ground the "trigger" operates the brakes in most cases (default setting).

You need to switch on the power of the guns (2 switches), arm the cannons (just above parking brake and turbo charger lever) and arm the machine guns (4 red levers just below the electrical switches. Be aware only need to pull 2 red levers, when you pull the all four you will have switched the machine guns off again).

Cheers,
Huub

That's just what I have been doing, Huub, but no guns! Not the end of the world, I was just playing about to see what they looked like! Thanks for the cap.

huub vink
October 9th, 2010, 13:37
Hi Mate
The supercharger setting have no effect in sp2 as does the nitrous injection(as far as I know) also in accel they have a basic engine damage modeled so the pots.xml was just an addition to that, should the user try to stick the engine in high blower to early :)
cheers
Wozza

Hey Wozza,

Settings for supercharger as mentioned in post #87 from this thread. I have changed the values in pots.xml. Engine will blow when 45" Hg is exceeded for more than 90 seconds. As I already blew 5 engines I'm pretty sure it works *big grin*.

The NOX injection is something which perhaps can't be made to work in SP2, but all other functions can be made to work quite simple. (Hey, even I can do it so it MUST be very simple!). I will see what happens when I enter an entry for nitrous system like the one which can be found in the config file from the Extra 300S.

Cheers,
Huub

SADT
October 9th, 2010, 16:46
Well Mike you will be even happier when you see the model. The engine is really incredible! It "flies" very nice and stable as well. Personally I think the Boomer looks like something from a comic book! I just have to make screenshot from it!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_a2.jpg

Scenery by Ian "IanP" Pearson

Hi Huub,

Maybe I'm a little confused, but I'm Craig! :salute:

I have just been flying it, and it is amazing! The inertial starter winds up real nice, and then it kicks in with a short whine :jump:

One thing, I notice at altitude the Carb. temp drops right off - is there Carb heat?

mike_cyul
October 9th, 2010, 17:48
One thing, I notice at altitude the Carb. temp drops right off - is there Carb heat?

Hi Craig - Nope, the Boomerang surprisingly did not have carb heat. Searched the manuals as well as the cockpit photos and diagrams, but CAC apparently did not think it necessary.

Mike

SADT
October 9th, 2010, 20:32
Thats very interesting Mike,

Hmmm, I hope wozza hasnt put a custom Carb freeze-up XML in or I'll be in trouble at altitude :pop4:

mike_cyul
October 10th, 2010, 04:19
Thats very interesting Mike,

Hmmm, I hope wozza hasnt put a custom Carb freeze-up XML in or I'll be in trouble at altitude :pop4:

Altitude is usually not a cause of carb ice, as there is less humidity. As Wikipedia puts it, "A warm day with high humidity is considered the most likely scenario for carburetor icing. Since there is less air acceleration through the carburetor at full-throttle operation, icing is usually not a problem then." I would guess that CAC calculated that the flow rates through the carburator wouldn't warrant a carb heat unit, although I would have thought that a "warm day with high humidity" pretty much summed up the operating environment of the Boomerang!

Mike

huub vink
October 10th, 2010, 08:11
Maybe I'm a little confused, but I'm Craig! :salute:

Oops it is me who was confused..... sorry Craig!

Huub

mike_cyul
October 10th, 2010, 22:25
Just to let everyone know, an update to the Boomerang has been released, and if you are an existing customer you should have received an email with a download link. If you do not receive the email, let me know at the support email and I will make sure you receive it.

The update adds the gauge FlightReplicas_XMLSound.gau to the gauges folder. It appears to have been left out, which is why some of you have not been hearing the guns and switch clicks, etc..

Sorry about that!

If you HAVE been hearing the guns, you do NOT need this update.

(Updated installers have also been uploaded to the store and to the vendors.)

Mike

flaviossa
October 10th, 2010, 22:44
I can confirm what Huub said: Running perfectly in fsx sp2 with the "mods" suggested here. Even managed to blow my engine twice now .... :salute::salute:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/7452010_10_11_3_4_51_922_tn.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view.php?filename=7452010_10_11_3_4_51_922.jpg)

calypsos
October 11th, 2010, 00:10
Thanks for the update, Mike.

I was just a bit suprised that for a single guage, we had to DL the whole aircraft again. I do not see or hear the guns (not sure about switches), but have decided that another 2 hour download is a bit OTT for something that I will probably never miss.

Thanks for the effort though, it's a really lovely little aircraft.:salute:

mike_cyul
October 11th, 2010, 07:04
Thanks for the update, Mike.

I was just a bit suprised that for a single guage, we had to DL the whole aircraft again. I do not see or hear the guns (not sure about switches), but have decided that another 2 hour download is a bit OTT for something that I will probably never miss.

Thanks for the effort though, it's a really lovely little aircraft.:salute:

Calypsos, email me at the support address, and I'll send you just the missing gauge. :)

If anyone else would prefer to go this route, just le me know (at the support address). The complete installer is usually sent as it saves users from having to do manual installations of files, which can be problematic for some, but for those with slow downloads speeds the individual gauge can easily be sent.

Mike

OleBoy
October 11th, 2010, 07:56
The thought of trying the gun didn't even come to mind. I guess I should try it :mixedsmi:

mike_cyul
October 11th, 2010, 08:07
Instructions on how to use the Boomerang with FSX and SP2 alone have now been placed on the website: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Boomerang_SP2_users.htm

If anyone finds something there that needs changing or updating, please let me know. And many thanks to Wozza, Huub Vink and Flaviossa for coming up with, and confirming, the modification! :)

Mike

huub vink
October 11th, 2010, 08:44
Instructions on how to use the Boomerang with FSX and SP2 alone have now been placed on the website: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Boomerang_SP2_users.htm

If anyone finds something there that needs changing or updating, please let me know. And many thanks to Wozza, Huub Vink and Flaviossa for coming up with, and confirming, the modification! :)

Mike

Mike, I should thank for you confidence ;) I made one additional change to the pots.xml file. In the original file the timing is set on 10, I have changed this to 90. Which gives a more realistic time needed to blow up your engine in my opinion:d

And the location of the pots.xml file is in the FR_CA-12 sub folder inside gauges folder from the FSX root folder.

Cheers,
Huub

mike_cyul
October 11th, 2010, 09:11
I made one additional change to the pots.xml file. In the original file the timing is set on 10, I have changed this to 90. Which gives a more realistic time needed to blow up your engine in my opinion:d

And the location of the pots.xml file is in the FR_CA-12 sub folder inside gauges folder from the FSX root folder.

Cheers,
Huub

Thanks Huub: changes done.

Mike

calypsos
October 12th, 2010, 05:49
Just a quick word on the great customer service offered here on the Boomerang, Mike sent me an e-mail attachment new sound gauge, and I now have have both clicks and guns! Thanks Mike!

doublecool
October 14th, 2010, 01:48
What a well done aircraft the Boomerang :salute:

Thank you very much Mike for another Great Aircraft by Flight Replica's

I look forward to your next release

OleBoy
October 14th, 2010, 21:04
I never have been keen having to do mods after a product was released. Is there a chance to get an updated installer.
...Nah, never mind. I guess I don't need guns and sound if they don't already work.

mike_cyul
October 15th, 2010, 03:13
I never have been keen having to do mods after a product was released. Is there a chance to get an updated installer.
...Nah, never mind. I guess I don't need guns and sound if they don't already work.

Hi Don,

You were sent an updated installer on October 11. I've just sent you the link again, as I guess it didn't arrive the first time. If you don't receive anything, please let me know, at the support email address.

Mike

OleBoy
October 15th, 2010, 06:34
Hi Mike

That's odd. I never got the first you mention sending. I just checked the mail and and the package from you arrived.

Thank you

Ferry_vO
October 21st, 2010, 11:23
Finally got round to buying this aircraft, and I love it! Excellent 'FR' quality as usual.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr330.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr332.jpg

Great choice for a warbird too, and a fun aircraft to fly. :applause: