PDA

View Full Version : confused about SceneDB files

hurricane3
September 28th, 2010, 13:31
I'am confused about the workings of Scene DB files. The main SceneDB seems like one of those Russan dolls that when you open up one there is another inside it.If you open SceneDB in the main root folder there are a bunch of other files ,most of which if you open them have a scenery file and a texture file,not all have this ,some have just a scenery file ,but most have both.
When you download an aircraft which has a scenery and objectsDB file, I assume the objects DB goes into the same folder in the root file.But when you have the Scenedb where does it go?Does it go in the main SceneDB file, or inside one of the files inside,or one of the files inside that?
For instance ,inside the main Scenery DB file there is a weapons file ,inside that there is a scenery and texture file and mine has a few text files in there also.In the weapons file there are two folders ,scenery and texture there are a bunch of BGL files and some DP files ,world has scenery and texture files ,the scenery file has all BGL files, how do you know what goes were?
And do you leave files in folders or put in the contents?
It just seems like one big mess,even worse than my CFS3 install which I'am also trying to get figured out.Thanks to anyone who can make sense of this.Simonu did his best ,but I still couldn't get it.(not his fault at all ,my dumbness was the problem)

Oglivie
September 28th, 2010, 13:56
Hurricane3,

When you download an aircraft for CFS2, it will most often have external ordnance that can be selected to add on before flying it in CFS2. The ordnance (bombs, drop tanks, torpedoes, etc.) usually have three files that need to be installed.

1) A DP file(s) that needs to be placed into the OBJECTS_DP folder.

2) A BGL file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\weapons\scenery folder.

3) A BMP file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\weapons\texture folder.

Note: Most model BGL files have BMP texture files that go with them, but not all. It Depends on how the BGL is designed to use an external BMP texture file, or just use the material list inside the BGL file.

simonu
September 28th, 2010, 14:41
You're both correct
it is like a russian doll
and
those files do go were oglivie says

2) A BGL file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\weapons\scenery folder.

3) A BMP file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\weapons\texture folder.

This is fine

to muddy the water I might add that you can have as many folders as you like;

in computers those folders take up next to no space, in fact they don't really exist at all, they are entirely for our benefit. They are help us find our stuff.

I guess SCENEDB stands for scenery database
inside that you have folders for various sorts of scenery (I tryed to explain the different types)

I would suggest that a separate folder might be used for addon weapons

2) A BGL file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\addon_weapons\scenery folder.

3) A BMP file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\addon_weapons\texture folder.

the new folder needs to be activated in the option/settings/scenery library

JapLance
September 28th, 2010, 21:19
I would suggest that a separate folder might be used for addon weapons

2) A BGL file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\addon_weapons\scenery folder.

3) A BMP file(s) that needs to be placed into the SCENEDB\addon_weapons\texture folder.

the new folder needs to be activated in the option/settings/scenery library

Wow, I didn't know that. Always getting new knowledge :applause:.

hurricane3
September 29th, 2010, 05:32
Thanks guys for helping to make things a little clearer,but how do you know if you should place the files in the main root folder or a subfolder, and do you extract the files or place the whole folder in?

sc7500
September 29th, 2010, 07:31
...When you download an aircraft for CFS2, it will most often have external ordnance that can be selected to add on before flying it in CFS2...

One more thing - In order for the Ordinance to show up in the sim, one must add the NAME of the DP file [with description] to the MDLNames.txt file !

Example:

"~1000lb_Bomb"=1000lb Bomb
"~5 Inch_Rocket"=5 Inch Rocket
"~66_Gal_Tank"=30L Fuel Tank
"~500lb_Bomb"=500lb Bomb
"~P47_Pylon"=P-47 Pylon
"~SC_1800Kg_bomb"=1,800Kg Bomb (German, Anti-Shipping)
"~Smoke_Rocket"=Recon Smoke Marker
"1tube"=Single Aircraft Gun Tube
"3476tank"=Allied Medium Tank [T-34/76]
"3485tank"=Allied Medium Tank [T-34/85]
"3tube"=Triple Aircraft Gun Tubes
"108Gal_Drop_Tank"=108Gal Drop Tank
"75mm-field-gun"=75mm Field Gun
"AAA_gun"=*Antiaircraft Gun [Lge]
"AF_OilTankG2"=Oil Tank, [Lge, Green]
"AF_OilTankB2"=Oil Tank, [Lge, Blue]
"AF_OilTankB1"=Oil Tank, Medium [Blue]
"AF_OilTankG1"=Oil Tank, Medium [Green]
"AF_Hosp2"=Hospital, [Sm]
"AF_Hosp1"=Hospital, [Lge]
"AF_SWPBldg09"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 9
"AF_SWPBldg08"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 8
"AF_SWPBldg07"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 7
"AF_SWPBldg06"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 6
"AF_SWPBldg05"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 5
"AF_SWPBldg04"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 4
"AF_SWPBldg03"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 3
"AF_SWPBldg02"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 2
"AF_SWPBldg01"=Building, Wood-Bamboo 1.....

Etc
SC
:kilroy:

hurricane3
September 29th, 2010, 08:20
Thanks guys your starting to clear things up,a bit ,but when you said make a folder for addon weapons,you mean weapons that don't come with the plane but can be added later,is that right? Also how do you activate the new folder in option/settings/scenery libray?And where is the MDLNames.text file located?

JapLance
September 29th, 2010, 08:27
One more thing - In order for the Ordinance to show up in the sim, one must add the NAME of the DP file [with description] to the MDLNames.txt file !

I don't think this is true. I've never added a single weapon name to the mdlnames.txt and never had a problem, other than seeing a funky name on screen when I selected the weapon (the .dp file name).

mariereid
September 29th, 2010, 09:06
Hmm... I believe some weapons addons are added to the mdl. For some reason I got DB's U.S. weapons in there?:ernae:

sc7500
September 29th, 2010, 09:46
...I don't think this is true. I've never added a single weapon name to the mdlnames.txt and never had a problem, other than seeing a funky name on screen when I selected the weapon (the .dp file name)...

I've had some of the WEIRDEST CFS2 installation problems over the years, and have gotten into the habit of itemizing EVERYTHING [Weapons, Scenery, Ships, and Planes] in the MDLNames.txt file to avoid potential crashes.

That said, You Are Correct, JL - the "Funky Names" you may see are the DP file names, not a user-defined description as I presented. I add them in to eliminate any potential conflicts, to identify the different bits in MB easier, and to make diagnosis of a new 'challenge' less complex - for ME.

SC
:kilroy:

PS: Hurricane - The MDLNames.txt file is sitting in the root of the CFS2 file proper: Just WAITING to be tinkered with !

simonu
September 29th, 2010, 15:26
Hurricane if some of this stuff is going over your head I'm sorry,
it is just because I am so immersed in this wonderful toy that I forget how baffelling computers can be to the uninitiated.
I have been facinated by computer technology since I first got my hands on a ZX81 back in 1980,
believe me, flight sim has come a long way since then,
but the amazing thing is that back then, even though the flight sim was just black and white lines on my screen I was able to suspend disbelief and emerse myself in that virtual place.
Computers are tools for manipulating data,but these days they have become like a mirror through which we can see inner worlds, they externalise our imaginations allowing us to share experiences, like storys, films and books do.
The virtual world is a medium, a canvas on which to paint.
But a computer is still a tool.
It maniputates data as I said.
On your computer, You have a whole load of programs collectively known as "THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM" "ta da"
windows provides the tools you use to manipulate your data.
In truth programs and data are pretty much the same; "lots of numbers", and can be interchanged (not always a good thing)
All programs running under windows share common features. (to help you use them)
One common feature that best illustrates this is the "task bar", "that thing at the top where it says File Edit View and so forth" If you hover your mouse over the task bar and click one of those things you will see a drop down menu with various options.
Menus are another common feature
when I say /options/settings/scenery library I am refering to such a menu, the Options menu on CFS2s taskbar
This is not the only place you can change the scenery settings, And thats another common feature of windows programs
There is always several ways of doing the same job.
So if you click File and then select from the menu Save the program will save that file, that means "write it to disk"
programs hold data in a part of the computer known as RAM, but RAM is volitile, and if you lose power all the data in your RAM will be lost, To prevent this loss computers have a Hard Drive to keep a 'permanent' record of your data.
When you start a program like CFS2 by clicking some icon windows will copy the program from the hard disk into the RAM, where it will then run.
A program like CFS2 is, like windows itself, a whole bunch of programs that all work together. more russian dolls,
A program like CFS2 manipulates all kinds of data, the net effect of which is You believe you are flying an aeroplane,

CFS2, like all windows programs has a taskbar, if you cannot see it in flight, you are in full screen mode, just press Alt and it will appear

Now in windows you can get at nearly all the programs by clicking on the Start Button
but I need a rest now

hurricane3
September 30th, 2010, 05:34
After taking all that time to get things through my thick head you deserve a rest.I'am sorry it took so many posts ,but I'am a slow learner and things have to be presented in a certain way for me to understand,
Thanks to you and others I think I now have a basic understanding of how the file structure of CFS2 and CFS3 works. Not saying I won't have problems or you won't hear from me again but if I keep flying simulators I'am sure you will.
I ,like you have always had a love of airplanes and simulators can put you in a different world that you can't do in real life.
Unfortunately for me I have severe deppression and anxiety disorders and was counting on my hobbies ,includeing flight sims to help after I retired,but they have gotton worse not better.My meds take away all interest in anything I love and I've been on so many over the years I've lost count.
I'am hopeing there is something new out there to help.
Sorry I've gotten way off topic ,but learning how flight sims work takes my mind off my problems for a while,and if I can beat this I'll have all that knowledge to fall back on.So thanks to you and all the reat who have taken the time to help,Every time I'am ready to quit sims and give up ,you guys are there to help.Thankyou so very much ,I count all of you as friends.:icon_lol: