PDA

View Full Version : Bradwell Bay

tony
September 27th, 2010, 13:22
Any one know why Bradwell Bay ww2 air field is not in ETO Or BoB,It was operating from 1940 to 1946. I cycled past it on saturday ( was doing a 40 mile cross country bike ride ) & when i got home looked in ETO to find no airfield! Any Ideas !!!!

hairyspin
September 27th, 2010, 14:33
I expect Clive and the ACC squad have it on their list, but it is a rather long list...

htpcorsica
September 27th, 2010, 15:00
Hello tony,
I started doing it 2 years ago but got stuck and stopped, then Clive ACC helped me out but then stopped again through lack of info. Today in the morning i did some more research and found what i was looking for from airfield information exchange (thanks to who ever posted it), an aerial photo from the 40's so i'm now back on to it. Hey, you been bugging my pc?!!

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?3253-RAF-Bradwell-Bay-Airfield

:salute:

Pat Pattle
September 27th, 2010, 21:44
Too many airfields, too little time!

Btw the ACC's FlashGordon placed the vast majority of the airfields into the ETO, a huge, onerous task if ever there was one! Can't thank him enough for doing it too. :)

I started doing it 2 years ago but got stuck and stopped, then Clive ACC helped me out but then stopped again through lack of info. Today in the morning i did some more research and found what i was looking for from airfield information exchange (thanks to who ever posted it), an aerial photo from the 40's so i'm now back on to it.I think your ACC call up papers will be dropping through your letterbox any day now! If can help in any way I'd be glad too. :)

flashgordon
September 28th, 2010, 00:10
Fighter Command airfields post BoB Era is a category I have yet to tackle.

Do have a fair plan for the airfield if you would pm me your e-mail htpcorsica.

Gordon

tony
September 28th, 2010, 01:11
Thank you htp , us Essex boys like to land some whear near home :-) re bug ,my rig is so old i can pick up ww2 chatter on it, so no chance of buging u ! starting a new build with a 3.5 quad core soon so watch out :-)

htpcorsica
September 28th, 2010, 02:46
Hello Flashgordon,
Thanks for the help, I've just sent you a PM re. your info.

Tony, sounds good about your pc and hope it all works out well. I'm running a 2.8 quad on an X48 MB since Nov '08, try getting the X58. You should get very good results with your 3.2 or what ever it is using ETO and the rest of them.

Pat Pattle
September 28th, 2010, 03:28
Out of interest there is an easy route to getting airfields into the landscape. All you need is the .mos file (and it's associated .dds texture for the airfield layout) and a facility file for the buildings and setting the dimensions of the groundplane it sits on.

The airfield can then be plonked into CFS3 via the mission builder. However you can only take off from it by some careful aircraft placement in the MB. All do-able it just takes a bit of tinkering. The airfield will not appear unless used in a mission either, though that's not a problem.

On the plus side the facility ground plane entry will not flatten the landscape underneath with this method so you get a more realistic airfield. This is RAF Banff (hope you don't mind me showing these Jeff) which I made from a Google earth screenshot as an experiment and placed via the MB. Note the bumpy runway!

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Banfftakeoff1.jpg

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Banfftakeoff2.jpg

tony
September 28th, 2010, 10:25
Hi HTP Im using an AMD Phenom 2 Black edition quod with a MSI 870A-G54 Mainboard with 4 Gig of crucil Ballistix DDR3 ram. Antec 300 case & 1TB hard drive its an all new build to last 4 or so years! Thank you Pat for info on airfields , ill try to sort it out when i have this system up & running on windows 7!:jump:

hairyspin
September 28th, 2010, 10:45
Thank you Pat for info on airfields , ill try to sort it out when i have this system up & running on windows 7!:jump:

:kilroy: Be aware that the .MOS file editor needs Managed Direct X, which will only run under XP....

tony
September 28th, 2010, 12:40
Hi, i think win7 comes with an xp set up !If not ill do a dule boot xp/7 set up. If i have probs Ill ask your good selfs for HELP. Thanks for the info.:salute:

Frosty
September 28th, 2010, 12:43
:kilroy: Be aware that the .MOS file editor needs Managed Direct X, which will only run under XP....

Don't know what I did wrong then, but it seems to run on Win 7 x64 too... ;-)

hairyspin
September 28th, 2010, 12:58
Don't know what I did wrong then, but it seems to run on Win 7 x64 too... ;-)

Then we want to know how! :jump:

Frosty
September 28th, 2010, 13:43
Then we want to know how! :jump:

I actually dunno! Installed the Aircraft and Vehicle SDK after installing gMax - might even have tried to install the Managedredistr%&/ -thingie first, as I used to do so under XP. I don't think I used the compatibility-mode; it's unchecked under the 'Properties'-tab... I must admit, I didn't try the MOSeditor that comes with the Terrain SDK as I hardly use that one...

BTW, It's Win7 Home Premium...

Pat Pattle
September 28th, 2010, 21:40
I must admit, I didn't try the MOSeditor that comes with the Terrain SDK

I'm intrigued Frosty, what do you use instead then? That may answer a few folks problems.

Frosty
September 28th, 2010, 23:06
I'm intrigued Frosty, what do you use instead then? That may answer a few folks problems.

...The MOSeditor that comes with the Aircraft & Vehicle SDK, of course! (v1.5 vs v2.0)

Pat Pattle
September 29th, 2010, 00:28
Wonder if there's a difference then.

Chris if you're reading this that might be an answer to your problems :)

Frosty
September 29th, 2010, 00:41
Wonder if there's a difference then...

There seems to be a difference but don't ask me what it is or with what exported file format it surfaces. I do recall that a long time ago, I read something to that content. From then on I stuck with v1.5 and it suits me fine!

(Would make a fine addition to the knowledge base. BTW, I found some old notes again, so I 'll see what can be added to that database)

tony
September 29th, 2010, 05:25
Hi is it possible to get eto working on win 7 pro with out the mos editor . BTW what does it do ?

flashgordon
September 29th, 2010, 06:19
ETO (or MAW or PTO or Korea for that matter) definitely does not need the MOS editor to run. Very much needed when creating new objects so good news if it will run under Win 7 for continued development of cfs3. The original sim has masses of potential left in it as recent and projects in the pipeline continue to show

tony
September 29th, 2010, 07:29
Thank you Flash,i have been using cfs3 in its many forms since it come out & love it to bits ! Will try to get mos working when i do install . All the best